1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want to start camping again. (The unintentional build)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by GODZILLA, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Jul 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA [OP] Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Yeah, it's just too much money for too little sleep space, IMO. I posted a spreadsheet of the racks + tents and the most expensive iKamper with the Leitner rack is still over $3000 less expensive than the GFC. I think they are awesome for building in the US, and they are a super smart design. They'll last forever, but the upcharges for just two windows on the shell, side doors for the tent, ladder, and then add in travel or deliver costs... It's just too much for a 2 man set up.

Wallygator[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Here's one of the videos that pushed me to the other tents. I have it set to start at the downsides portion of the video. The Alpha was a leader for me at first because of the $600 savings over the Roofnest Condor XL, but I've not found any similar complaints about the Roofnest.

https://youtu.be/PZZbPasVwS8?t=153

Wallygator likes this.
  3. Jul 6, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    YotaBro

YotaBro This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Lots of good info here. Subb'ed. Not sure if it meets your criteria, Adam but for what it's worth... I'm currently rocking the decked system, Cali raised bed stiffeners with a bed tent. Love it so far. Not a big fan of the setup time. I too have been looking for a bed rack and RTT. I'm pretty set on a Leitner rack with a CVT Mt. Hood. I just need it for 2 people and my main criteria is a quick setup time. Unfortunately, you have to drill into the bed for the Leitner rack but at this point what's another hole in my truck. It might be worth looking into if it meets your criteria. I know CVT has other RTT and so far I can't complain about their customer service (granted I haven't bought yet). Cheers.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45d5.jpg

4. Jul 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    The Leitner rack is hard to argue against. It's a versatile design, and IMO, looks the best on the truck. That sliding rear bar keeps the bed usable, too. The only thing for me is that the Freedom Rack from Overland Vehicle Systems is no drill and matches or beats the Leitner's load numbers. It's also adjustable height. Definitely a hard decision, cuz the Leitner has way more sex appeal. :laugh:

As far as RTT, I love the thought of the Mt. Hood, and their front flap/rainfly is one of the few with sides (major bonus to me), but it boils down to space. That's a 2 man tent designed for a couple. If you're not intimate, or really really comfortable with somebody, that's not going to be a tent to share. That's why I was looking at the Condor and Skycamp models. They are in the general-ish price range of the Mt. Hood, but they offer enough space that it wouldn't be weird to share the tent with a buddy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    Wallygator and YotaBro[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

AlrightAlrightAlright New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM DC 4x4 with SR5 Upgrade Package
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Dang you guys, I was wanting to put off this purchase until after Summer and here I am on this thread! Was convinced I was going to get a cheaper RTT setup, but now I'm stuck on these higher end units for inclimate weather. Still holding fast on the Leitner system, but now I need to research that Freedom Rack; I have some mods needed on the bedside connections of that Leitner system to fit the T-slots on my retractable bed cover. Maybe OVS has a system ready-to-fit? Hmm. @AzureNightmare: any thoughts on Roofnest's Falcon XL versus CVT's Mt. Hood?

6. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Yakima Overhaul HD not considered here due to lower load limits I'm guessing?

7. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Sometimes if feels like this forum's primary purpose is to make you :spending:

As for the Falcon XL, it's the same space issue for my needs. Looks solid, but I like the Mt. Hoods rain fly better. Pretty sure both can take cross bars, so that's nice if you want to take a kayak or something along.

Not that, really. It's out of stock everywhere, and the Freedom Rack is the same concept but less expensive. Yakima is proud of their name.

8. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Falcon XL is 90" x 60" (88" x 58" interior) and the Hood Large just states 60", so with those things being equal, that rainfly is $300 better for you, or you figure in for a penny, in for a pound? I do like the grey body color option to better go with my SSM paint color on that Hood RTT.

9. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Loving that Prerunner bumper,@YotaBro! Mine from FabFours is still one of my favorite mods... I like how the emblem sensor still fully operates.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    YotaBro[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 6, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I didn't do a lot of comparison on either because of the size of both tents being small for my needs. That said, so long as quality is equal, space is king. I'm claustrophobic, so I'd go for whichever is bigger.

11. Jul 6, 2021 at 11:19 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Updated my price spreadsheet to include the Leitner Forged rack. It's a $400 upcharge from the classic ACS, and that's painful. The overall look is better IMO, but I'm not certain that the looks make up for the $400 difference.

The reasons it is being considered is because it significantly increases the dynamic payload over the classic, and has an added bonus of not needing the two thinner supports up front. That means there are 2 fewer holes to drill in the truck, and the rear window maintains a cleaner look. Both are equal on the ability to accessorize after the fact, and both justify their higher cost over other racks with that same flexibility.

upload_2021-7-7_0-14-56.jpg

upload_2021-7-7_0-11-32.jpg

12. Jul 6, 2021 at 11:54 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it

Ok, so in the quoted post I stated that I had emailed Roofnest some questions. Below are the questions and their responses.

• Does the rainfly have to be rolled up when stowing the tent? I've seen it done both ways in videos and have seen comments that it must be rolled up to close.
      • No, it does not. I've see that video and have no idea why they thing that. Stuff away.

• How well does the hard cover seal around the tent when collapsed? My concern is water/mud from my tires might be thrown up and get into the tent bedding material if there is a gap in the hardshell.
      • Very well. It has a gasket seal and overlaps the bottom by several inches.

• Is the tent material removable/replaceable on the Condor XL? Some of your other tents have this feature.
      • In theory yes, but it's not easy to replace (but we have sent out a few replacements).

• Are there any revisions or additions planned for the Condor XL in the next 12 months?
      • This question was skipped in their response. Perhaps revisions are in the works?

• Is it possible to special order the hard shell in a grey color? If not, is the hard shell paintable?
      • We only make the Condor in Black and White, no other colors. You would probably have more luck getting a vinyl wrap than paint (it's painted ABA/ABS and you would want to prep it like you would a car bumper - several steps).
    So, this was all good info for me. The only thing that's a bummer is the color, but that's cosmetic. I'll live. I did find it interesting that they glossed over my 4th question with out addressing it at all. Not even to say that they can't disclose the info, or anything. Just totally skipped it.:monocle:

Wallygator likes this.
  13. Jul 6, 2021 at 11:56 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 6, 2021 at 11:57 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Might be a good way to save you some money. I'm not handy at all, and would injure myself. :laughing:

15. Jul 7, 2021 at 1:28 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
  16. Jul 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I found another Tundra with a Roofnest Condor XL on here! https://www.tundras.com/threads/welp-i-just-needed-tires.72692/#post-1872089

So, @TwoWheels, what's the verdict? You've had it a while now, and I would love to know if there is any must know info on that tent.

Not going to lie, it's at the top of my list right now, and that article I linked is playing to my confirmations bias. Don't pull any punches. Tell us your likes and dislikes. :popcorn:

17. Jul 7, 2021 at 1:42 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
  18. Jul 7, 2021 at 2:36 AM
    YotaBro

YotaBro This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    If you haven’t already done so, look at this video on bed racks. It is eye opening and made me rethink my original bed rack which was the RCI. My biggest thing that I was looking at was the mounting location. I know RCI recently changed their mounting design but I’m unsure if I would still trust it with all of that weight.

https://youtu.be/Hw4wn5Vd_l8

Orracle and GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  19. Jul 7, 2021 at 3:29 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Very good PSA there! Thank you, @YotaBro.

So, @Squatting Pigeon, how would you say the Cali Raised rack would handle to the issue in the video? Do you know if they've seen it and adjusted their design for it?

YotaBro[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I’ve never had my rack budge even the slightest. The mounting feet on the caliraised rack are beefy and you can crank them down tight to the bed rail. I went one step further too, and added a layer of 5mm rubber under each of the feet that contact the bed rail. I did it to help absorb vibrations but I’d bet that helps keep it planted at the same time.

21. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:19 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    My RCI rack has been nothing but stellar and my tent is not exactly the lightest (Approx 195lbs) and it has a full time awning mounted to it, along with the bike rack. No issues in a year and a half of use and abuse.

22. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:32 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Good to know, on both racks. I like the idea of the rubber. Might have to steal that one.

I was just asking out of curiosity, mostly. I doubt I'll be into anything that requires more than the standard mounts. My truck is my daily, so the SxS gets to play on the rougher stuff.

Wallygator[QUOTED] and YotaBro like this.
  23. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I admittedly don’t do any real rock crawling with my truck, but I have gone down quite a few steep grades on trails with the tent attached and no slippage.

I’ll admit I didn’t watch all of that video, but I’d bet the rack wasn’t as tight as it could have been.

Wallygator and YotaBro like this.
  24. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    The bolts on the brackets broke. It wasn't loose for lack of tightening.

25. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Ouch, that’s just bad hardware then :eek:

Wallygator likes this.
  26. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Correction: the welds holding the studs on the bracket broke.

27. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Ah, well the actual mount on my rack is part of the tower foot so it’s all one thick bent piece and wouldn’t have that failure point.

28. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:41 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    I consider that bad luck but with any aftermarket parts you have to frequently monitor things. I frequently check and monitor the mods I have made. It's just good practice with aftermarket products.

29. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    This is the only picture I have on my phone within quick reach to see the mounting points:

710E590E-A9DB-4F04-B026-EFB572885868.jpg

30. Jul 7, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    Wallygator

Member:
    Mine has been solid. I wonder if they over tightened the stud nuts on install?

IMG_20210707_084442505.jpg

IMG_20210707_084451762.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top