1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want to start camping again. (The unintentional build)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by GODZILLA, Apr 27, 2021.

1. May 4, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    cctxquicksand

cctxquicksand IG - TRDistheWrd

Member:
    mine lives on mine full time as well. It the time when I got mine the rocky finish wasn’t available so I was stuck with gloss black. Ikamper included a tub of wax with the tent to help fend off UV rays but I’ll be honest I never used it. My mini is definitely showing signs of damage so as a preventative measure I would highly recommend using the wax. They also include a water repellent spray for the canvas as an extra measure of protection. I have used the tent a few times in the rain and no leaks at all.
    As far as washing the tent I don’t really like touchless car washes so I have never experienced that but I think they are very water proof when closed, there is a bit of a lip that goes around the entire perimeter of the tent so in order to get wet the water would have to be coming upwards pretty aggressively, I have sprayed it with power washers and such and no issues with water intrusion or mildew from moisture.
    As for accessories I would definitely recommend some sort of lighting for the interior of the tent and maybe a portable fan.

Edit: sorry for the wall of text

2. May 4, 2022 at 6:58 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA [OP] Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Thank you for the info! It's nice to get it straight from an actual customer rather than a vendor or from product videos designed to sell the tent.

I did opt for the rocky black in hopes that I don't need to worry about waxing, but I don't know if it will be required. If your pressure washer didn't cause any issues I doubt that a touchless wash would either. I just don't have space to wash it at home, and in the colder times I am not going to stand in the wash bay to hose off the salt and grime. Touchless washes are a necessary evil living where I do. :rofl:

3. May 4, 2022 at 7:04 PM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    Happy to help!

if anything else comes to mind just lmk

SAGE63 and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  4. May 6, 2022 at 2:14 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    So, I got a call from the vendor on the 3rd or 4th that my tent had arrived. I had already scheduled and install date with them on the expectation that the tent would arrive, and he even said something to the effect of "I know we already have you set for an install, but just thought you'd want to know the tent is here in hand." Being kept in the loop... such a strange feeling...

He did state that iKamper told them the larger brackets were on a bit of a back order, and he asked again about my setup because he remembered me inquiring about larger brackets. I told him that I had the @Caliraisedled rack and the bars are thicker than normal roof rack crossbars. He said if they had the larger ones and needed them they'd sort it out, but if they didn't have them it didn't matter because they'd figure it out and make sure I had my tent mounted properly either way. :eek:

Such a drastically different level of info sharing, communication, and commitment compared to the excuse making, delayed, or utterly nonexistent responses and failures from the putzes at roofnest.

In a little over a week I'll have my iKamper on the truck.:yes: I am excited. It's so nice to have things falling into place for this.

5. May 6, 2022 at 3:02 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    So @BayRunner, with the iKamper Mini 3.0 going to plan so far I figured I'd make good on my prior comment to lay out the pie in the sky potential hopes/plans previously mentioned. Pardon the length, but I'm typing to keep myself awake. :D

Just brainstorming and I'd love some input/thoughts on this. It was inspired by a picture I found while trying to find a solution to get my RTT, RZR, and kayak all out in one go. As it stands the kayak and the RZR will have to share the trailer, or the kayak will have to be strapped on top of the RZR. Not a big deal and doable. I'll run this set up and fine tune it for a while before any big changes, but the gears are already turning because of this picture:

upload_2022-5-6_3-21-7.png

The trailer looks to be about the same length as mine (12 feet) and the inspiration/plan that this sparked is kinda fun. I currently only have to worry about sleeping for myself and my pug at most, but I do have a buddy that I'll be camping with at the end of the month. He's bringing his canvas ground tent (quite nice as he describes it) and we were going both sleep in it before I found out the iKamper was going to arrive in time. The RTT adds some more space, and I think that will be nice for both of us. He's a light sleeper and I snore.

This is what made me think "What if I wanted to invite a buddy, or my brother, etc. to go camping? I don't have the room to provide as a good host would/should, so how do I solve that?" Well, if I were to construct a rack similar to this picture I could roll the RZR up under the RTT, put they kayak on top, and free up the bed of my truck for something like an... oh... I don't know... GFC? :cookiemonster:

Imagine the jeep in the pic replaced by a Tundra rocking a GFC. It'd be everything I need with the added bonus of being able to provide a sleeping space for a guest or two plus some additional enclosed storage in the bed. That would also facilitate something a little more purpose built for camping in the bed, too. Maybe even one of those sweet @PapaDave418 Pullkitchens. :monocle: He's got pics in his thread about it, and one is even in a Tundra with a GFC on it. Link to his thread on it below.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/pullkitchen-truck-bed-kitchen.106557/#post-2752282

Working in telecom I've also got access/have seen some serious pipe clamps and such that could be used to mount the rack to the pipe rail that my trailer has on top. It could be removed if really necessary. So, as you can see, money is the biggest downside, and the only other one I see is the extra tent that would be hauled around if I didn't have a guest but did want to take out the RZR/Kayak. Now it makes sense why this is a far off/future/maybe type of plan, eh? :spending::spending::spending: I really need to win the lottery.

6. May 7, 2022 at 8:35 PM
    PapaDave418

PapaDave418 A Dude who knows a Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    37’s—PullKitchen--KB Voodoo Rack & Full Ext Cargo Tray
    The Lottery is a solid plan, you’re only 6 numbers away from millions!

7. May 8, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    @GODZILLA for some reason, I did not get notified from your last post. I just happened to look at your thread and saw you pinged me in it.

I do like your idea of the smaller iKamper on top of the trailer and a GFC on the truck. This does provide room for guests. It reminded me of BYOEOverland who I met in Sedona. They (couple) have a seriously rigged truck and trailer. See pic below.

One thing to note. Looking at the picture of the trailer you posted above and as an engineer, the trailer uprights do not provide enough lateral support for the weight that will be up there. The 4 upright bars look fairly beefy and may be “okay” and marginal, however the sides should have “x” bar supports to prevent the upright bars from bending forward or backward. I tend to over engineer things like this just o be on the safe side.

your cost concern is also valid. This does add to the cost but may be a worthy goal to aim for down the road. All I. All, I like it and it defiantly checks all your boxes.

9118FD50-F20E-45D2-9901-B92D57542EEB.jpg

8. May 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    PapaDave418

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    Were you at Death Valley MLK weekend in January? I went up to the Ubehebe Talc Mine to camp and saw a built Tundra with PC trailer. Since of course I feel like I OWN Death Valley I was a little perturbed my favorite campsite was taken! :)

9. May 8, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Funny you say that about the structural. I'm super paranoid about that kinds of stuff and had similar concerns. I looks like acceleration and braking could put some serious stress on things because of all the weight being so high up on the structure. All things that I'd have to take into consideration after winning the lottery. :D

NWPirate likes this.
  10. May 8, 2022 at 8:43 PM
    BayRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    You are correct, but also consider the side to side movement as well. Easy solution though. Simply include support bars that go from the upper of one upright to the lower of the other. This is where the “X” support comes from. Each side and the front has supports that are in the shape of an X thus providing enough lateral support and no movement. That and yes the lottery win as well. :)

GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. May 8, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    BayRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Not me! Plus that pic was of another’s rig and not mine. I don’t have an overland trailer. That setup was quite nice though.

961BC063-EB45-4CD4-BE7A-7B6826465AFB.jpg

helidave and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  12. May 10, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield MIT (Mod in Training for the next 10k years) Moderator Secretary

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road Tacoma
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    Got that damn RTT yet?!

GODZILLA[OP] likes this.
  13. May 10, 2022 at 6:38 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Install is going to be this next set of days off. Pics will be a thing. :D

14. May 10, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield MIT (Mod in Training for the next 10k years) Moderator Secretary

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Looking forward to it!

GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. May 10, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    You should get one for that Maverick you're gonna buy. :boink:

16. May 16, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    LarryDangerfield

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
  17. May 16, 2022 at 7:15 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
  18. May 16, 2022 at 9:09 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    You guys kill me. :rofl:

No great pics yet, but OMGosh is the fabric quality nice. :eek: both the canvas of the tent and the poly of the rainfly feel way more lux than the roofnest did, and even thr 23Zeros that were in the store. I can't wait to get it out there in the wild.

20220516_102105.jpg 20220516_101231.jpg 20220516_101222.jpg

Sundog, YotaBro, Terndrerrr and 12 others like this.
  19. May 16, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    BA!
    Happy for ya dude, been a long time coming.

20. May 16, 2022 at 10:16 PM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
  21. May 17, 2022 at 4:18 AM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Phuk yeah. Congrats!

22. May 17, 2022 at 5:31 AM
    LarryDangerfield

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Good looking setup!

23. May 17, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    BayRunner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Looks good @GODZILLA . You mention the material quality, is it thicker than that on the RN?

From your pics, I can see:

• With your lower rack, the case aligns nicely with your cab. Wind aerodynamics fits perfectly and the air should flow right over with no resistance.
    • The case does not open as much as the RN thus creating much steeper angles on the top of the case and the top of the tent (material). This is a definite plus for rain to easily flow off and not pool on top for possible leakage. Is the top material tight?
    • The fold out floor looks legal. Any bounce to it like the RN?
    • Wouldn’t mind seeing pics with the awning poles attached. Even though I’ve fixed the pooling water on top of the RN tent with a rain pole, water still pools on the rain fly material above the entrance. So in or after rain, I have to push the entrance rainfly up to drain it before exiting the tent. Otherwise getting out is a wet experience. Wouldn’t mind seeing if the iKampet has this same issue.,
    Overall, I think your choice is a much better one but will wait for your field test to officially endorse the iK over tje RN.

24. May 17, 2022 at 9:42 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Sawhate, congrats! Looking forward to the trip reports. :thumbsup:

25. May 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I don't know that it's thicker, but it feels... tighter? Like more threads/fibers per square inch kind of feel. Words fail, but it's less plastic feeling on the tent itself. The fly does feel a little thicker.

26. May 17, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    PapaDave418

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    I got my iKamper 3.0 in but waiting on the rack to install it. Loved my OG iKamper so I’m glad to hear you are digging it!

DF80E03C-AC54-4113-8517-F19ED4A9F88C.jpg

Sundog, SAGE63, Wallygator and 2 others like this.
  27. May 18, 2022 at 3:41 AM
    Damie Street

Damie Street New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edsel
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Congrats @GODZILLA

Glad everything seemed to work out for you in the end! Now get out there and explore. Can’t wait for the trip reports!!

28. May 18, 2022 at 1:58 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Oooooh! That looks like the full size. Does your truck have the 5.5' bed or the 6' bed? The only reason I went Mini vs the full size is the overhang on my truck would be a bit much. I would be able to hit my knee on the tow hitch and my head on the tent at the same time! :rofl:

Gotta work to pay for all this stuff! Last weekend of the month will be it's first trip out. Nothing crazy, but meeting a buddy to camp and do some SxS/4-wheeler riding. Going to try and squeeze the kayak in there too, but IDK if that'll happen.

29. May 18, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    PapaDave418

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    My truck is the 5.5 bed. So my plan is a 22” high KB Voodoo rack that sits on my Diamondback cover which will allow the iKamper to just clear the shark fin. I ran a similar set up with my Tacoma and it worked great. Because the iKamper is pretty aerodynamic the wind noise wasn’t noticeable and the drag was minimal as the air whips up over the cab. So there will be a little overhang over the cab. That rack height also allows me to get a ton of gear under the rack on the cargo tray that runs the length of the rack.

I don’t have the rack yet but it will look similar to this build. The second photo shows the cargo tray, it comes out 5ft and I put recovery bins, chairs, rugs, tables and misc gear. Last picture is the truck it will go on EABBBD43-4F37-4025-9D21-91B4D905C181.jpgC09CF955-B55B-4D54-8D47-4D9667BF2033.jpg
    F31083E8-8368-473B-8CAF-7C464EFBB785.jpg

30. May 22, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Ah, I would have gone full height on the rack as well if I had been going for a larger tent to start with. My original plan was for the smaller roofnest footprint, and when that failed I had a mid height rack to work with. I guess I could have sold it, bought another rack, and then gone for the Skycamp 3.0, but it was more economical to get the Mini. It's got plenty of room for me and my pug. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top