1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want to start camping again. (The unintentional build)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by GODZILLA, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Jul 3, 2021 at 4:56 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Thanks Chris!

trying to get something together for a trip up your way later in the month actually :fingerscrossed:

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 3, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I think your summation of his video is pretty spot on :rofl:
    he’s a whiny baby with buyers remorse. I will be moving to a hard shell tent when I can for many of the reasons he sited, but mainly for setup and tear down ease.

3. Jul 3, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    off-road trailer? I didn’t see that was an option.

I didn’t like the suggestion for the bed tent. Some people like them, I probably would not. My soft topper works well though, but I also have a 73” bed. I tried sleeping in my Tundra CM bed and it sucked.

The reason I suggested a trailer:

- Leaves the truck as is. You don’t have to add suspension mods, the bed space is still left for truck duties. I don’t know you personally, so not sure if you do a lot of home projects or haul things.

-Set up once. This is what would sell me.

- All supplies stored in one location and not toting around the 98% time you’re not camping.

https://denver.craigslist.org/tro/d/aurora-m1101-military-trailer/7331453133.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/trb/d/parker-off-road-overland-trailer/7332995445.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/tro/d/denver-off-road-hunting-rafting-trailer/7342392582.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/tro/d/eastlake-arb-rooftop-tent-and-m416/7343744044.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/tro/d/englewood-small-rtt-camping-trailer/7345089387.html

4. Jul 3, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Know any fabricator friends around you?

1.5” DOM, angle iron, various other steel. paint or powder coat. 200.00 in steel…

You are 6.52 hours from this guy…FYI

5. Jul 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA [OP] Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    If that was meant for me and not Holden, then sadly, it's not an option. I need the hitch available to tow my SxS, which also solves the whiney guy's issue of breaking camp to move anywhere. The RZR is plated and I can run it around for stuff instead of the truck with the tent.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  6. Jul 3, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It was meant for you. Totally forgot you have a SxS man (lucky man).

I have an idea…got a picture of the trailer you have?

What is the likelihood of camping involving the Motorsports?

7. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Pic below with the toy on it. Link to the trailer https://www.bigtextrailers.com/60pi-tandem-axle-pipe-top-utility-trailer Mine is the 12 foot one.

Part of what I'd like is to be able to do the 2-3 day riding trips with my buddy, but not have to get a hotel. That's why I'm looking at a rack and RTT. I'm sure there will be trips with only the truck, but there will be just as many that the SxS tags along.

20210528_191005.jpg

8. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Build a cage on that trailer that goes over the sxs for the tent :D

Hbjeff, TheBeast, RainMan_PNW and 4 others like this.
  9. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I had actually thought about that. The only time that wouldn't be ideal would be if I went on any of the trips my brother goes on. This trailer would not make it.

10. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I would go the route you have planned then. What I have to suggest would be irrelevant and more costly up front.

Damn Adam. You have a bad ass setup. Really like the looks of the Cavalry Blue. The Tundra is one of the best looking/performing trucks on the market today.

If what I’m hearing on the new Tundra is true, I may put a deposit down on one. Selling some trailers would also be involved as well.

11. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Even if it's not right for my situation, please post your suggestion. You never know who might see it and be inspired!

My truck is essentially stock, so credit for badassness goes to Toyota. I just have good taste. :D

Hard to beat a Tundra in the half ton segment, eh? Best be for popping over to the 2022 thread and sharing that knowledge. o_O

12. Jul 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Come back to us. You know you want to.
    :evil:

13. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Here is my idea:

Find used 18' flatbed 7K rated trailer.

Sell current trailer.

Purchase the RTT hard cover you want. Something like this:

download.jpg

Build a rack system that is removable. If you need help with this, I would no shit would help out. Pre planning and building on my end would be needed. You come down and we put together. If we designed it correctly, you could nose in under the RTT rack if you needed to maybe add a 4 wheeler behind you. One of the guys I know had auto leveling on his RTT system. He could keep the rack low when driving, and parked he could have a level sleeping arrangement on unlevel ground surface. This gets more involved and need onboard air/CO2 for the air rams.

-Install leveling jacks on front/back would be a good idea. Depends if you want to disconnect from the trailer.

I have some buddies with RTT's on top of their GN trailers. That works out pretty good...but irrelevant to this thread.

Gooseneck-tandem-7-wide.jpg

This style trailer is getting more popular as well. Kinda spendy though, and tongue weight is an issue.

p1330461.jpg

YotaBro, Wallygator, TheBeast and 3 others like this.
  14. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I do actually.

Diesels are bad ass if towing heavy loads all the time. My house projects are underway and the boulders I need are almost done.

If the Tundra has 460HP and 680 tq...that's pretty damn good and I wouldn't have to deal with the diesel side of things. Mine has been a rock solid towing platform for 68K miles of pretty hard use. However, I know all good things come to an end.

What is coming in the future:

-Injectors at 120-150K miles. 2800.00 if I do them myself.
    -I really need to get the CP4 injection pump out of my truck and do a CP3 conversion. 1750.00 and 10 hours of labor/cussing/drinking. If I have the catastrophic failure, that can cost 9500.00. This can happen at anytime. Seen it happen on trucks with 5K miles all the way up to 150K miles.

I'll have to see what the numbers are and some testing.

Cpl_Punishment and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  15. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Dayum. That's some seriously badass trailer customizing you got rockin' around in that knowledge bank. :bowdown:

16. Jul 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    3rdTundra

3rdTundra Hay Hauler

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 Double Cab TSS 4x4
    FRAC harness / camera & Full set of Valhalla plates
    GODZILLA[OP] likes this.
  17. Jul 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    If you end up going with totes, I second the Plano's. Have the 108 qt ones as well. If you get them, grab some 1/4" weather stripping from Home Depot & slap it in the grooves on the lid - viola, water proof tote on the cheap.
    I'm a big proponent as well of buy once, cry once. Yeti. Ice will stay ice for days in the sun.
    Cable locks for cooler & totes so they don't walk away.

This stuff below I don't have yet, but have done enough research on to know I will be eventually picking up for future elk hunting trips.
    - Camp stove: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004S3H...WHYU&colid=103LM248Z0WIE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    - Collapsible water storage: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079NGG...BAZ7&colid=103LM248Z0WIE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    - For filtering water in camp: Katadyn Base Camp bag filtration.
    - Single-person water filtering: Life Straw, Katadyn bottle: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075X5R...S2K6&colid=103LM248Z0WIE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    - For morning coffee; quick water boiling: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MYQ7...86RZ&colid=103LM248Z0WIE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    - Mattress pad: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00453N...IW8Q&colid=103LM248Z0WIE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    - depending on where you'll be camping - bear spray
    - power: dual battery setup; Noco; power converter (for Keurig...then you can ixnay the Jetboil :) )
    - spare tire: Wilco also makes a bedrail mountable spare holder https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/bed-rail-tire-carrier-tacoma-tundra/

Since you didn't mention it, I assume you're good-to-go with things like recovery gear and survival stuff (first aid kits, different kinds of fire-starters, etc), air compressor, etc.

Custom dashboard bobblehead so you know truck is level for RTT:
    upload_2021-7-3_11-4-54.jpg

18. Jul 3, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Sounds like it’s the perfect time for you to make the jump :monocle:

TheBeast and GODZILLA[OP] like this.
  19. Jul 3, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Do you use your truck bed for truck things (hauling dirt, bark, gravel, etc)? If so, I’d skip the Deck drawers and maybe look at a retractable tonneau with storage bins under it. The retrax mounts to the rail system, and should clear rubbermaid totes. Don’t go too big on the totes cuz they get heavy/awkward. The “standard” size are great, then a couple short ones in the front under the canister. And the cover keeps things MOSTLY dry.

Voodoo Max rack you can get with brackets that will attach to the rails and offset under then around the tonneau rails. Also easy to remove with a few bolts if you want to run without it. They’ve got short and tall options… I’m looking at maybe going that route myself but need to do some modifying with my TCUSA cover.

can’t beat a Coleman stove and some goodwill dishes and pots

SAGE63, Wallygator and TheBeast like this.
  20. Jul 3, 2021 at 11:47 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Pretty sure bed stiffeners all require the drilling, so I don't think I have much choice. I will just have to suck it up, but I'd like to keep it to a minimum.

Had a slider tray like that in a work truck, and I hated it. To each their own, but it's not for me. If I do get a decked system it would be much later. Totes will be the likely solution in the mean time.

Good info on sealing the totes. Thank you.

I don't have to worry about anything for coffee, as I gave it up a while back. :(

Short trips will be the plan to start, so the more survival oriented stuff like water filters can be done much later.

The tents I am considering have sleeping pads in them, so I don't know how much more I would need. I have read/heard they are not the greatest, but they should all beat sleeping on the ground.

Bear spray if I go in big bear territory, but also always camp armed.

I had seen the in bed carrier for wilco a while back, and it's definitely one I am considering. The big factors here will be if I decide to get a decked system, and I would much prefer a mount that used the lug pattern. I KNOW I will lose the SCS center caps if I am taking them off the wheels. Totally how my luck goes.:facepalm:

I use my bed for different truck things than what you listed. Moving furniture, hauling large items, etc. My trailer will cover the needs of my bed should I lose it's functionality with a set of Decked drawers.
    Personal preference: I hate tonneau covers. Always have. Just not my thing. Good advice on not going huge on totes. I've helped move big ones people filled with stuff, and it's miserable.

I've not seen a Voodoo Max rack. Is it only something to consider if using a bed cover?

Uhhhh....[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    What ones are you eyeballing?

22. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    23 zero is working on one but I have no clue when they’ll be done, so in the meantime if I decide I have too much money in my bank account I’d be looking at CVT, GFC, and Terrapod.

GODZILLA[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  23. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    And now I have more to research. Lol

Thank you.

24. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    Rolling Biome

Rolling Biome New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CM Limited TRD Off Road
    For totes, one often overlooked option/source is the Container Store. I use a few of their black weather tight totes and they work well. They used to come in more sizes in black but can't find them on their website. They have tons of size options in clear. Also good for general garage storage. You can find them under the brand Iris at other places.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/74...ote/d?q=weathertight+totes&productId=11010227

For stove, I use this Eureka one. It's larger than most and allows for easier cooking with two pots/pans. One thing for sure is get a larger refillable propane tank and ditch the little ones.

https://www.rei.com/product/149914/..._AL-_-40661-_-55097-_-NA&avad=55097_a22a537dd

I'm also running a Leitner ACS Forged rack and love it. Quality and customer service are top notch.

Wallygator likes this.
  25. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Totally get the tonneau thing. I’m not a canopy fan myself, and don’t like one-piece hard tonneau covers or soft ones.

On the voodoo rack - they make mount brackets for it that aren’t specifically for tonneau covers too.
    https://www.max-modular.com/shop-max-modular/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsaTK_mBZzzyfudc75bzDe1rKMI-mr2rt7ylpfgjXUXKX0Erh9AlwVBoC0nsQAvD_BwE

@Explorer has one, though his is set up under his diamondback tonneau

26. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM
    TONKA TUNDRA

TONKA TUNDRA HULK SMASH!!

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC Magnetic Grey
    I hadn't considered this aspect of mounting the spare. Due to a combo of shortsightedness and lack of funding I only ordered 4 wheels and tires. Now that I have some extra cash I plan to order a 5 wheel so I have a matching size spare and planned to mount in the factory location underneath. Maybe you could do something as simple as a tire cover to eliminate road rash. One like this that has a drawstring to secure it. Plus that would free up bed or other space for camping goodies.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-33-35-spare-tire-cover-black-diamond-773535/_/R-DSBP-773535

27. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Happy to help :D

28. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    I like the clear totes they have because it’s easier to find stuff on the sides or buried. They seem like great totes in general, just don’t let your kids eff around with the latches, they will break

29. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
  30. Jul 4, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    GODZILLA