1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think I inadvertently purchased a car.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackdemon_tt, May 16, 2021.

1. May 16, 2021 at 2:23 AM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    Damn when i bought my camry in and out in 45-50 minutes...tundra like i said 4.5 hours I was pissed...Live and learn. tell dealer to pound sand....

2. May 16, 2021 at 2:27 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt [OP] Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    My Tundra was probably 2 hours, since I had to pick up my brother from county, so I walked off the table 2 times, because I really needed to go, it worked heavily in my favor as well...

OH I just remembered, They didn't even verify my income, I mean usually they ask for pay stubs or in my case the work number and I was asked for neither, would this matter at all??

3. May 16, 2021 at 2:32 AM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    They never verified my income either, you should be ok. As long as you didn't sign the buyers agreement, your ok.

4. May 16, 2021 at 2:32 AM
    pyrite808

pyrite808 Real TRD Pros are built not bought

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Mid Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    08 DBL Cab Pyrite
    Agreed I’d say you’re in the clear, they cannot force you to sign. As far as verifying income I’d say it has more to do with your credit, if you’re a first time/bad credit they may ask for information like that, if good credit and history I don’t think they need it.

Man they almost got you though lol, expect to get more than a few calls from them trying to get you back in there. For future ~$200 per month for every 10k financed is good rule of thumb for vehicles, avg. term/good credit.

blackdemon_tt[OP] likes this.
  5. May 16, 2021 at 2:34 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    will keep that in mind for future reference....

6. May 16, 2021 at 2:45 AM
    Tyman

Tyman Isaiah 41:10

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4wd MGM
    Last year I put a down payment on a Tundra that was arriving soon. The dealer made a excuse that they were not sure if I wanted it and gave me the money back after I called several times. Tell them you don't want it. It will sell.

blackdemon_tt[OP] likes this.
  7. May 16, 2021 at 2:46 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I will do this as well, Thank you.

8. May 16, 2021 at 3:27 AM
    johnxmccoy

johnxmccoy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Grove City, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crew Max
    Until you drive it off the lot it is not yours! Period.
    I sold cars for a long time and I know.
    The car has not been titled, the paper work has not been sent to the bank and it is not yours. If they say anything different they are lying.
    If you have any other concerns call the bank where they financed it and tell them you want the loan cancelled.

9. May 16, 2021 at 3:32 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is what I'm planning for Monday.

10. May 16, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Some folks buy a remote place in Alaska and hide out until the statute of limitations is up.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  11. May 16, 2021 at 5:04 AM
    slowpokepete

slowpokepete New No More

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hillsdale, NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    @ThcAk

SPP

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    RdKing and Black Wolf[QUOTED] like this.
  12. May 16, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I recalled another thread where a fellow bought and financed a new car sight unseen and something was wrong with it. I’d call them and be straight up, you should be fine.

I bought a vehicle a while back that was a dealer trade. When I went to pick it up it was the wrong color! I was honest and told the dealer I didn’t want it and they made it right and got another vehicle with the right color. They were totally cool with it.

13. May 16, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I am not sure if you stated OP but did you sign anything that has the mileage and VIN listed on the form? If not you should have no problems backing out if you haven’t. Even if you did the dealership should have never done that paperwork without the vehicle being of the lot. That grimy sales tactics in my opinion...

On an another note I will not deal with a dealership that doesn’t give me an exact number on the vehicle I want. I purchased a lot of vehicles from the same dealership and I have gotten the exact price of the vehicle, trade in value, and monthly payments down to the penny before signing anything. I can’t stand the BS some dealerships pull hence why I am so loyal to one...

I know it sucks OP but be firm that your not taking at vehicle. I feel they tried to screw you by having you sign anything! All you wanted was #’s.

14. May 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    Did you receive any paper work? You know the copies of anything you signed? That would give you your answers to your questions.

Dont tell me you signed papers and do not have copies what you signed?

15. May 16, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Reading this - simple answer is - read your contract.

California does not explicitly grant a “Buyers Remorse” period for cars - but the contract might. Simply make sure you follow the prescribed remedy in the contract - be is written notice to the dealer or who knows what.

Secondly, if no remedy allowed - ask out nicely. Sometimes it works - sometimes not.

If those 2 don’t work - ask lender to not fund loan - no $$/no car - dealer will typically tear up paperwork as part of the sales contract is a contingent on finance approved.

Technically - a dealer can seek to recover provable damages. On a new car that would be very little to nothing. I mean what are they going to say - hey, we ripped this guy off horribly and we will never find a bigger sucker. Used - it’s pretty much the same - but they might try to say they had a competing offer that they turned down…again they would need to PROVE this - which would be hard. A text/email inquiry of “I’ll give you xx” is unlikely to be accepted in court - especially from a dealer. They would just be told to sell the car and move on.

Good luck - what ever you do. Just don’t take delivery or try to pay them off to terminate a contract - based on info given you are not in a bad position and better to argue.

16. May 16, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    Patch999

Patch999 SSEM #17 You are what you do when it counts

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad@$$ TRD Pro
    Stand your ground. Sounds like a they were high pressure if they got you into this so expect them to continue to be.
    If they said you had to sign digital to complete the deal and you don’t have the car it sounds like you are covered.

15whtrd likes this.
  17. May 16, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The next call you get, answer it and tell them you can’t afford it and the deal is not going through. Tell them have a nice day as they are trying to talk to you, hang up, block number.

18. May 16, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    blackdemon_tt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sure did like a dummy... it was contingent upon not wanting the vehicle since it was in transit which I was extremely clear, I didn't want it. On Monday I will call TFS and get in front of this too to cover my basis... I called them this morning and told them specifically I'm not financially secure atm and I didn't want the car.. guy just hung up on me... The next call will be affordability if they call me back.. dont plan on answering anymore calls after that...

19. May 16, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I feel for you man, I’ve done dumb shit reminiscent of this. It’s so easy to look at it from my end and think, why the hell would anyone do that. It’s different when you’re the one in the situation. I can see just toying around on the website trying to figure out what your monthly‘s would be. Suddenly you’re down at the dealership with a freaking car in your lap! WTF just happened!?

plenty of good advice here. Hold your ground, if you don’t want it, haven’t fully accepted the product or exchanged money, walk away and ghost the shit out of them if you have to. I’m all for doing things the right way, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Patch999 likes this.
  20. May 16, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    The thread reminds me of handing my phone number to some chick at the bar, and suddenly you’ve got yourself a new girlfriend. Come to find out you made all sorts of promises the night before and don’t remember a damn thing about it. You were just trying to get laid. You just wanted some milk not the whole cow, just a test drive, Not a contract of liability LOL.

Darkness, saybng, akmerle and 5 others like this.
  21. May 16, 2021 at 7:15 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Wear boxing gloves the next time you go to the dealer. Makes it hard to sign anything.

22. May 16, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    As others have said, stand your ground. Call the dealership to cancel the deal, call Toyota financial to let them know you cannot finance the truck due to unstable finances and don’t take no for any answer. Also, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Every call with a synopsis of what was said. If they try to get you to reconsider, simply repeat “I am not in a financially stable situation to purchase this vehicle and I do not authorize processing anymore paperwork on the deal. Please cancel now.” Eventually they will grow tired of trying to recruit you back and tear up the paperwork. I can’t stand dealerships like this - and promise yourself that when you are ready to purchase that you don’t go back there.

23. May 16, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    In California when I did sales it wasn’t a deal til you took delivery. That meant driving the car off the lot.

blackdemon_tt[OP] and Terndrerrr like this.
  24. May 16, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    Retroboy1989

Retroboy1989 'Course it's 4x4!

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD OR Barcelona
    Snug top 20" TRD Sport wheels 275/60R20 Tires Additional Trans Cooler
    If I were to guess, the form you signed means nothing. The dealer wants you to feel committed so they will have you sign something, anything as soon as possible. The more committed you feel, the more likely to buy. Don't sign anything they throw your way if you are just looking.

NEVER give them the keys on your possible trade when you are just looking either, I made that mistake once. They took my keys and gave them to the most elusive person on their payroll. I literally started feeling like I was held against my will because they had my keys and I couldn't leave despite wanting to.

25. May 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Like many others have said, it’s not final until you drive it off the lot.

If the salesminions try to tell you anything else, tell them to shove it. They will absolutely back you into a corner and make you feel like you’re stuck. They’ll probably tell you stuff like “hey you signed; the car is yours,” or “if you back out now, it’ll ruin your credit”.

Stand your ground, despite the awful, sleazy lies and half-truths that are guaranteed to come your way when you tell them the deal is off.

Cpl_Punishment and 15whtrd like this.
  26. May 16, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Sometimes they have you sign the slip that is an "intent to buy " if we get everything you want for you thing. It means literally nothing and I'm not sure why they do it but if that's all you signed you're fine. I would lean to think that's what it was as they still want your deposit. If you signed the tricolor pages that are super long sheets it may already be yours

15whtrd and Black Wolf like this.
  27. May 16, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    When I bought my wife a new a sequoia years ago in nor cal we test drove a black one and then she wanted white. We got to finance and they asked how the test drive went. We told him we never drove the white one. He stopped everything there and said you have to test drive the vehicle you’re purchasing, it’s the law. I don’t know if that’s true but it does make sense. Good luck.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  28. May 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    So you have copies of the paperwork you signed?

If you did indeed "buy" the vehicle, you will have the amount of the payment, due date, and length of term financed.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  29. May 16, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    I was told the same thing in 2013 when I bought my first tundra, the numbers we were talking about reflected the truck I test drove, non other. If I wanted anther color or other options then I had to test drive that specific vehicle. Not sure if its law but maybe toyota policy.

30. May 16, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    You mentioned taking it and doing voluntary repo, or selling for loss to Carmax. I beg you, DO NOT do a voluntary recall! It will turn one bad situation into two, and will cost you a lot of aggravation and money in the end. Basically, it will destroy your credit for the next several years. Anything financial will cost you more because of that scar on your credit report. It will make getting loans harder. It can even make getting into apartments/housing rentals more difficult.

Others gave good advice. In this case, paying a lawyer (if it comes to that) will cost less and be easier in the LONG run than dealing with the fallout of a repo. Definitely do not take delivery of the vehicle, and do not sign any more paperwork. If they ask you to sign anything to cancel the deal, make sure you read it thoroughly, maybe even take it to said lawyer for review before signing.

Best of luck to you. It's a tough situation, but think logically from here on out (try to stay calm and don't react with emotion) and learn as you go through it. Next time you'll know not to repeat the same mistakes. We've all been through something similar at some point in our lives.

Products Discussed in

To Top