1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I purchased a GMRS radio license today -any enthusiasts here?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by IowaGuy, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Oct 24, 2022 at 6:28 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    I purchased a GMRS license today and am wanting to get a mobile unit for my truck and a couple handhelds. I plan to use them mostly for traveling, camping, hiking, hunting and SHTF coms. I am in the very early learning stages and might move up to the tech level if I get into it.

I will probably take a couple courses and watch a lot of videos. My main question right now is about using the GMRS pre-programmed repeater channels. I take it that you need to know the repeaters in your AO and their info and that the radios won't auto find them or hop to use them.

I am looking at the Boefang brand and a better antenna as both seem pretty reasonable.

2. Feb 4, 2024 at 6:02 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    I realize this is an old thread, but thought I’d revive it to say I just got my GMRS license and Tech Ham license last month. For GMRS, I have two hand-held Baofengs at the moment. Am looking to get a mobile GMRS setup for the Tundra. I understand Yaesu is a good brand for mobile ham but don’t kniw if they also offer anything for GMRS.

As for repeaters, I joined a local ham club that owns and operates repeaters in the area and one of their members helped me program it in my Baofeng UV5R Plus (for Ham only). I just need to do the same now for my GMRS hand-held. I’d recommend joining your local ham club and see if they can help set you up like they did with me.

Products Discussed in

To Top