1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need a good used travel trailer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by WBW, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Feb 7, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    WBW

WBW [OP] Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    Good morning, Tundra crew!

It appears that my daughter's relationship with her significant other may be going south. She has three of our grandkids and rather limited income at this time. Here in the Phoenix metro area all rental properties have gone way up in cost making them unobtainable to her right now.
    We're wanting to buy a travel trailer that she can stay in for the short term until she can build up her savings again and hopefully the housing market will stabilize. The only prerequisites are that I need it to be a bumper pull so my Tundra can move it. I really don't want a toy hauler for this. Price does matter and I'm hoping to find something in the $10K or less range. We are willing to travel to neighboring states around Arizona to get the right deal.
    If you have a travel trailer that you would like to sell or know someone that does please message me and let's see what we can do for her.
    Thank you!

2. Feb 9, 2022 at 4:48 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Right now the TT market is right there with the vehicle market. It's a sellers market. I do expect to see prices on used travel trailers to drop significantly but not for another 9-12 months. Unfortunately those that paid a premium price within the last few years aren't going to be very happy with the reduced market value and just keep them. As the threat of Covid is reduced more companies are bringing their work from home employees back to the office and the camping while working is starting to go away.
    There is a towing and hauling section of this forum that has plenty of informative posts. One in particular is a thread about longest lasting trailers. Near the end a member IIRC is near you that just picked up an old Prowler that would clean up real nice.

Good luck!

WBW[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm trying to convince my wife to wait another year to buy a trailer to let prices drop and quality improve but she's not having any of it. So now she's looking at $55k trailers that are "marked down" from $75k. The exact same trailer that was $45k six months ago.

WBW[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I'm still trying to understand how we found our TT significantly below MSRP in Aug 21. It does seem the Class A market was way over inflated last year. We got tired of hearing every used gas Class A getting 10 MPG at 70 MPH. Yeah right. Maybe down a mine shaft....with a tailwind. Ended up finding the Tundra and TT both new for less than a 10 yr old Class A.

5. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:43 AM
    TundraMidwesterner

TundraMidwesterner What?

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray Metallic CrewMax TSSOR 4x4
    Katzkins, Rostra heated seats(4), Tint (all), TRD rear sway bar, TSS wheels, OEM black lug nuts and wheel locks, OEM LED black fog lights, Driver side grab handle, Rough country LED Bumper bar, Rough Country Hard tri fold tonneau cover, AVS ventshades, Bilstein 5100's on top setting in front, Ready lift 1 inch ready block in the rear with Bilstein 5100's. Fluid Film. ESP under seat storage. LED interior lights and cargo lights swapped. Rear USB charger port swapped for 12v port. Remote start. Leather wrapped steering wheel kit. TRD shift knob. Kenwood dmx1037s. Hertz K170 door speakers/ tweeters, Infinity Reference 7005A 5 channel amp, 2 JBL WS1000 10 inch subs. DDI Seat Jackers. RCI engine Skid and Vahalla's Shields (front and rear) 1/4 aluminum. Stillen intake. LED Pro Headlights with iHacker harness. Cartrimhome auto up and down window switches. Coupe's aluminum battery tie down. Color matched mirror caps. Color matched door handles. Chalk bag cup holder. NFab podium step bars, herculined. Powerstop z36 drilled slotted brake discs w/ceramic pads.
    WBW[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Our intent was to go south 6 month a year so buying a diesel pusher for what could be as little as 2,000 miles a year didn't make sense. If we were to travel the country and put 10x that miles maybe. Maintenance on a new Tundra v a 10 yr old Class A? Not even worth a line in the budget spreadsheet.

7. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:54 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    It all really depends on what you are OK living in doesnt it?

I know couples that live out of a van for half the year and are just fine with that and I also know people for whom a 40' Pusher is too small and devoid of features.

It is all in your point of view.

WBW[OP], 2mchfun and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  8. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    That's a nice one. I think the Jayco brand was better quality back then too. Nice size for the Tundra and more space than what my wife and I and our YUGE Yellow Lab are living in.

WBW[OP] and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  9. Feb 9, 2022 at 6:15 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    My grandparents used to do that in their (gas) F250 and fifth wheel.

WBW[OP] likes this.
  10. Feb 9, 2022 at 6:19 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    I just think it's money better spent especially if your daily driver was 10 yrs old with 122K miles. Our plan is to do this until out dog passes away and move to a condo on Moloka'i. Tundra and nealy everything else will get sold and buy a Prius once on the island.

11. Feb 9, 2022 at 6:23 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    First off, don't forget the cost to park in a park isn't cheap. Secondly, you might consider planning to keep what you buy for the long haul. Lastly, if me, I would do a garage/apartment conversion and not pay all the rent to a park.

WBW[OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    If you do the garage/apartment conversion, you could consider a shade sail or carport for the driveway. I use a quick up/down DIY shade sail system to keep my truck protected from hail because it's too tall for the garage or any parking garage where I could temporarily leave it. Works great!

13. Feb 9, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    WBW

WBW [OP] Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    Thank for the inputs. As I've stated the process of looking for a travel trailer I am finding that the prices seem to be inflated some. There are several nearby that look to be a good fit for my purpose by it seems they go quick if they're in decent condition.

I'll gladly take any advice on what to look for regarding damage or whatever because I just don't have a much experience with these as some of you have.

Again, thank you for the help.

14. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    WBW

WBW [OP] Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    I did see this one and we like it. We're trying to set up a visit for this weekend if it is still available. I think a bunk house design would suit our purpose best.

If you find more loadings please keep sending tyne links. I'll look at them. Thanks.

15. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    marc32

marc32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4
    Have you considered going the route of getting a cargo trailer and converting it to a camper? I’ve been looking at campers for a couple of years and in fact own a large pop up camper with twin king beds. Everything that I’ve seen new or used has been overpriced. Especially since Covid has arrived.
    heres a suggestion…

https://youtu.be/zRfQqQldGs8

16. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:27 AM
    WBW

WBW [OP] Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    Yes I have. In fact I have a cargo trailer that I built for our touring motorcycles. I really do not have the time to invest in the conversion. Good idea though.

17. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    Jayco are nice travel trailers and durable if you take the time to maintain them (same with any camper). Sealing, winterizing, pressure checking, etc are all important. I believe Jayco stopped using real wood for cabinetry after 2010 or something like that and moved to particle board. Pre 2010 were mush more sturdily built all around. I have had coleman, prowler, and jayco and Jayco was the best quality by far. If you are handy and a little patient, you can buy one that needs a little work at a much more reasonable price and fix as you go. I have bought repaired and flipped between 8 campers in all years and sizes..........jayco by far was the best constructed camper and the only one I would consider spending a long period of time in if I had to.

WBW[OP] likes this.
  18. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    When did you own each of these brands? I thought I read that Jayco has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so.

19. Feb 9, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    @WBW I don't admire yout situation. You want the best for your family and need it soon. As for what to look for here are a few things. Swollen wood is a sign of moisture. So is any mold. All too often a roof will leak before it's caught. That's not a sure thing turn off but can be used as a bargaining tool. Trailers in the SW desert area probably don't see snow loads like we see up north. Bring a tall step ladder to look at the roof for any signs of recent repairs or needed repairs. Refrigerators can be troublesome in trailers. They weren't the best when new and get beat going down the road. Many campers use an extra fridge kept outside so there's that option if the fridge isn't working. RV refrigerators don't cool as fast as compressor types in the home. Take a level and check to see if all four corners are plumb. Expect to buy tires unless they are newer. more as I think of it.

WBW[OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 9, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Sorry, this is for the roof or something else?

21. Feb 9, 2022 at 12:10 PM
    Retired...finally

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Trailers especially the aluminum sided ones can get twisted. Either by improper loading when traveling or aggressive use of stabilizer jacks in an attempt to level. Even my slab sided Gulfstream can get twisted if I'm not careful with the jacks.

22. Feb 9, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    WBW

WBW [OP] Resident lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Surface of the Sun - AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Tundra SR5 2WD
    Thank you! This is helpful information. I would be the type to attempt to level the trailer with the leveling jacks and over do it. I'm pretty sure I could tie a trailer in a knot in the right conditions.

23. Feb 9, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    shawn474

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I have owned many - the latest was a 2007 Jayco 23B hybrid camper. It was honestly a beautiful camper that i stripped and reskinned the rotted floor and did a few other pipe repairs due to the previous owner not winterizing, a few delaminations and leaks that I had to reseal. Cabinets were solid wood and STURDY. Wall and ceiling materials held up great to extensive use and age as long as you were diligent in sealing. I NEVER should have gotten rid of it but took advantage of the sellers market and made WAY more than I would have later on. Admittedly a hybrid or pop up is NOT what the OP would need. The prowler travel trailer that I had was an older 1990'2 model, but you would be surprised what can be done to the interiors to modernize them. You can go to local big box stores and get closeout deals on limited quantities because of the smaller spaces. The coleman was a 2000 with hard sided shower and slide out.....and a Dutchman pop-up, etc.

24. Feb 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    shawn474

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    This is good advice and somethinig that leads to cracked seals, etc.

WBW[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top