1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hurricane Dorian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rex Kramer, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sep 1, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I always chuckle when I hear milk and bread are gone first. "Hurricane coming? Better stock up so we can make milk sammiches" :D

2. Sep 1, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Milk...lol how ridiculous.
    People are nuts

3. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    I makes sense. You can store a huge amount of non perishables. Fresh items however you cannot store. People buy perishables up because they may not be available for a while during/after the storm. I don't drink it myself, but milk can also be used to extend emergency food stocks. The fat content and density of milk as a liquid can curb hunger, so you don't have to open a canned something if you only want a snack (or so I've been told). People also feed it to babies. I only buy the small milk containers so I can make some boxed pasta items (require only 1/2 or 1 cup), which are easy to store, transport and cook. They are also high calorie gut bombs that can keep you going if things get rough.

4. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Not really.

Perishables are the first to go and can fill you up some, leaving more non perishables for emergencies. (Blackouts lasting days, inability to get around in the aftermath, delays in restock supplies/food at the supermarket, etc)

@GravityGear said it all.

5. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Hmm ok I can see it I guess. I must have been caught up in water, ammo, fuel, rice and other starches and proteins side of things. Seems easier to stockpile 15/30 days of MREs per family member eating 1 per day and focusing on hydration.
    I wonder if water service is typically interrupted. Preparation is definitely a regionally specific outside of nutrition.
    Nice to see the contrast in thought.

GravityGear[QUOTED] and Law323 like this.
  6. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Sammiches are the best foods during a hurricane. Requires no heating, cooking, and easily packaged. It’s a good idea to make more than a few and stick them in the fridge in case of a power outage, after the fridge gets too warm, stick them in the cooler (plenty of ice beforehand is also a must) and you’ll have sandwiches for days plus whatever non perishables you may have. More often than not blackouts can and will last for days in bad ones like this and Katrina (I live an hour from New Orleans and we didn’t have power for a couple of weeks. We ran out of sandwiches the day before power was restored and were down only a few cans of non perishables.) Failing to plan is planning for failure

CMB, NewImprovedRon, T-Rex266 and 2 others like this.
  7. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer [OP] Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    The first feeder bands have reached Florida's southern coast... the storm is going to come really close before hopefully turning north.

Screenshot_2019-09-01 GOES-East - Latest CONUS Images - NOAA NESDIS STAR(3).jpg

8. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Oh water is a must, doc (my wife) and I have 6 gallon jugs of water on hand at all times.
    THAT’s one thing I don’t understand, People down here live on 3-7 cokes a day but at the mere mention of a hurricane, they turn into goldfish! LOL

I’ve actually played with the idea of having a month’s worth of MRE’s on hand along with water stockpiles......just don’t have the storage for it now.

I’d say region/nat’l disaster definitely plays a part in what is considered proper preparation

9. Sep 1, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    I can see that but personally for emergency preps we have a stock of powdered milk. Lasts a very long time and there's no last minute rushing to the stores. That said, I don't drink milk personally so it's only for cooking in our case.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Words to live by.

I never thought of making a bunch of sandwiches ahead of time. That's a good idea. It's interesting seeing the difference in preps from people who deal with this on a yearly basis compared to those who don't and how climate makes a difference too. A hot climate where food spoils quickly brings up alot of considerations I don't think about here where for 4 - 5 months of the year we can leave food on the back patio to keep it frozen.

We keep a stock of propane and have our camping stove easily accessible. Water is stocked up (yay for $3 flats at Costco!) and in the event that ran out, there's plenty in the river nearby that just needs to be boiled. In winter, we can melt snow. Our food preps are a mix of canned, dried, pre-packaged like Lipton Sidekicks and freeze dried long term survival food from Legacy Food Storage (we have 3 months of meals for 2 people with this alone.)

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Only available around February. No hurricane season.......hmmm hurricane cake = new market???

11. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    I thought about that saying but “performance” didn’t really seem applicable in a blackout LOL

Powdered milk is definitely a good idea! I’ll have to put that on my supply list. One of my favorite things to stock up on is trail mix, beef jerky and freeze dried fruit. Those will last you forever!

As far as water, I’ve honestly been debating about collecting rainwater (even though it’s illegal - which is idiotic but won’t go there). Boiling water would be a good idea if I didn’t live in the city (yet one reason why I’ve been bugging Doc about at least buying a few acres and a cabin in the country in case the world goes sideways or we do LOL)

Another neat trick is loading up your washing machine with ice and using it as a cooler, filling up bathtubs with water in case of water supply cutting off (if no water is stockpiled).

Climate absolutely plays a part in survival preparedness!

12. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Water service... Depends on how your locality is running their pumps. I've heard with how the pumps work where I live, if the system loses pressure, it has to be purged before tap water is considered drinkable. Purging the system apparently takes days. The pumps are backed up by emergency generators. During Irma, supposedly the generator tanks had only hours worth of fuel left when the power was restored to the pumps. Bottled water or pre-treated water is CRUCIAL. Many people will clean their bath tubs and fill them with water when the storm approaches. That's about 30 gallons of pre-treated, potable water; it's not sealed though, so you gotta keep it clean.

Think this like a submarine. Subs are stocked with fresh and non perishables before a long deployment. The fresh is eaten first and the rest is for the long haul and emergencies. This will also aide in morale. Eat fresh for a few days. If help cannot make it and you can evacuate your locale, you will have a good stock of non perishables to get you through the journey.

equin, Law323 and Tierhog[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    tAcomaPueblo

tAcomaPueblo New Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD OR CM 4x4
    I'm moving down to Florida later this week... Curious how it will impact the moving truck as well as my ability to drive from Virginia to Florida. Ive heard of gas shortages. Maybe avoid 95? Guess it will depend if North Carolina can keep 95 open this time.

Law323 likes this.
  14. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
  15. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    The issue with powdered milk is that you're now using water to create another liquid. This other liquid may be incompatible with what you need to do (may not want to make soup with milk). It's good if you have a lot of water, but personally I try to compartmentalize things. It's easier for me to estimate how long things will last.

Law323 likes this.
  16. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Depends on how badly we get rekt. If it's severe and there's debris and road damage, you should probably hold off. The 95, the 75... doesn't matter. Those are 2 main routes out of the state (the other is the 10). Evacuees that don't have a safe place to stay in the state will take both routes north. If evacuation orders are lifted while you're coming in, you'll be dealing with all those people trying to get home.

Boerseun and 4x4_Angel like this.
  17. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    During isabell we were without power for 11 day and couldn't leave our street for 3 because of downed trees. Water was out for more than a week. Plenty of water, ice and nonperishable foods are needed. We were lucky to have a 5 kw generator that kept the refrigerator running and allowed for some lights and TV. No AC and it was in the 90s. Had a lot of neighborhood cookouts as people's frozen food started to thaw. Everyone stocked up on beer:bananadance:
    I had a couple of friends that went stir crazy and went looking for ice after about a week. Found it 200 miles away.

18. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Using the washing machine as a cooler is ingenious! Also...collecting rainwater is illegal? Do I even want to ask???

Fair points. One other advantage with powdered milk is you can make only as much as you need. If you only need a cup for cooking or a glass to drink, you can make just that amount. I can see how keeping it separate is beneficial for consumption estimation though.

Black Wolf likes this.
  19. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Water rights deals. You're collecting it upstream, preventing it from getting to the watershed, thus preventing paying entities from getting the water they pay the state for. I could go on but it's EXTREMELY touchy. /end topic.

JMB likes this.
  20. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Wow. Alrighty then, moving on.

tAcomaPueblo and NewImprovedRon like this.
  21. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    My first Hurricane experience was Cleo, 1964 in Hollywood, Florida. Cleo's total death count reached 156 in Florida, Georgia, and the Carolina's.

Being kid then, it was and continues to be a life long memorable teaching experience for me next to my Vietnam experience.

Yes, I'm an old fart so therefore what do I know about contemporary times...

Stay safe out there folks.

22. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    The govenor of sc just called for a "mandatory" evacuation.... I'm gonna hang for a bit and see where this thing is going. It's not supposed to hit here til Thursday. I got time.

23. Sep 1, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Some of the early footage from the Abaco Island in the Bahamas is devastating. They are done.

24. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    Rex Kramer

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ... it is expected to begin it's turn north just before the backside of the eye clears what's left of the Bahamas.

Screenshot_2019-09-01 GOES-East - Latest CONUS Images - NOAA NESDIS STAR(4).jpg

this storm is a ...

162.jpg

Trooper2 likes this.
  25. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    Rex Kramer

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    The southern portion of the of the air mass boundary that is forecast to force the storm to turn north appears to be falling apart over SW GA and the Florida panhandle. That can't be good, because it could come straight in from the Bahamas. InkedScreenshot_2019-09-01 NWS Enhanced Radar Mosaic Southeast Sector_LI.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  26. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    GravityGear

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    NHC hasn't seem to have updated since 5pm eastern. what gives?

27. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Yep. Yet they sell rainwater barrels at Sams LOL

Kind of goes in line with the daiquiri shop drive through.

28. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    All depends on how bad it gets.

I got stuck in Gonzales (15 mins south of BR and my hometown) during the great flood of 16 for a few weeks. The flood hit the day I was moving to Memphis for a couple of years.
    Granted only one week was solely due to floodwaters blocking roads and interstates, the last two were spent helping out where I could.

I loved in south Fla for a few years, flooding can still hamper your plans for a few days, also have to count on downed trees, debris, outages, etc.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  29. Sep 1, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Yep. Gotta love state government LOL

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  30. Sep 1, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    As a former Floridian, I always hated the anticipation of a hurricane's arrival. Anyone from coastal FL to NC, we're with you. Be safe.

NewImprovedRon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top