1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to make 12 volt charger stay on all the time.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jaredmillerdvm, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Apr 20, 2018 at 6:53 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
  2. Apr 20, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    OK. I spent some more time with the Tech Data and the Truck this morning and have a couple of different places to get Battery voltage inside the cab.

The first and easiest is to use an un-fused 12V socket. (See pics below). In my 2016 CM, there is an empty "hot" fuse location in the Driver's side Kick Panel Fuse Block. It's located between the OBD and DR/LCK fuses. Installing an "Add-a-Fuse" or similar fuse block adapter would be very simple. Choose the fuse based on how many outlets you decide to wire.

DS Fuses.jpg IMG_3089.jpg

If you want to tap into 12 Volts Battery power from the HU, here's where to find it.

According to the tech data, it's on Pin 4 of the HU 10-pin connector (J133).

For 2014-2017 vehicles the wire is Beige (see Picture) and it's protected with a 20 Amp fuse (RAD NO. 1). If you decide to use this wire, make sure to verify it still has 12 volts on it when the ignition is off.

For 2018 vehicles the Tech Data says Pin 4 is still 12 Volts Battery power protected with a 15 Amp fuse (RADIO). However it is Lavender with a Sky Blue Stripe. I don't have a picture of the 2018 HU connectors so I have not verified this. Note for 2018 guys: Toyota does not recommend tapping into Aluminum wiring. I believe lavender is the color code they use to denote aluminum. So proceed at your own risk.

Happy Modding!

HU 12VDC.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    GAknight, tinman10101, Skippy and 5 others like this.
  3. Apr 20, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Very helpful..... as usual. Thanks Lou!

TundraTex[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 20, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    nk1794

nk1794 Always torque to spec

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    SnugTop, TRD Catback, DECKed Storage, TRD Sway Bar, ESP Under Seat Storage, Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dashcam
    Good job! Thank you

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    TundraTex[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 20, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    I’m pretty terrible at this stuff so I’m going the easy route. just to be sure, use an add a fuse and run the wire straight to the 12 volt plug I want hot? Or do I tie in somewhere else? If I want just one hot what size fuse should I use? Sorry for the ignorance!

6. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Which 12 volt charger would be easiest to access?

7. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    They're all pretty easy, but the two under the Climate controls are probably the most accessible with the least amount of de-paneling.

831Tun and jaredmillerdvm[OP] like this.
  8. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    SnugTop, TRD Catback, DECKed Storage, TRD Sway Bar, ESP Under Seat Storage, Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dashcam
    I know this is common sense but I have to get it out there. Don't use speaker cables for this. Get proper cables from your local part store. I've also seen them at Walmart. I think 14 gauge should work.

9. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Good advice @nk1794. I was just getting ready to post this table as your post came up. It's a good guide for picking wire gauge in 12-Volt systems.
    12V AWG.jpg

Tundyfundy, Skippy, TTund16 and 3 others like this.
  10. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Perfect! That chart is invaluable. :thumbsup:
    By the way, to members who's new at DIY, the higher the gauge # the smaller the cable.

jaredmillerdvm[OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    Brimaster

Brimaster New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Metallic DC TRD
    Thank you everyone for awesome information!! :thumbsup:
    Time to start planning for this mod and gathering the necessary components..

12. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    Look at post #24. The top picture is of the 12 volts under the climate controls. You should be able to see where all the "clips" are.
    If you look at the front of the 12 volt plug, I believe the cover has a max amps stamped into it. I would not fuse over that since the socket and negative are sized for that.

nk1794 likes this.
  13. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    will my cell phone charger draw any power without the phone being plugged in?

14. Apr 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    My understanding is that most electronic devices without hard on/off switch will draw tiny bit of power even when not in use.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  15. Apr 22, 2018 at 1:24 AM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    devices with microprocessors or microcontrollers monitor the user key presses, etc. in the background so in a way the device is not fully off/dead and is drawing some current like in sleep mode ...

16. Apr 22, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    @TundraTex this is the cover for my 2018 fuse panel cover. I have a voltage multimeter is there a way to test the open fuses and see which stays hot?

17. Apr 22, 2018 at 7:00 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    you certainly did not butt in, i appreciate the info. but i am wanting to use an empty slot, so do i just place the red probe to the empty slot and black on ground?

18. Apr 22, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Here is the cover for the 2018s

7EFAACF5-5D50-4C4C-891B-F12917DFFB46.jpg

19. Apr 22, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    sorry for all the questions but just want to be sure I don't mess anything up. does it matter what size fuse I put in the lower slot of my add a fuse? I saw where i can use a 3 amp in the upper slot but what about the lower one? also does it matter how the add a fuse is plugged in? thanks for being patient.

20. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the detailed response. You da man!

21. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    Looks like @RowdyRon put you on the right track. Ground the black meter lead and use the red lead to test the empty fuse slots. There are two Brass-colored contacts in each fuse slot; only one contact will have voltage, so make sure to test both contacts in each slot.

Let us know which ones are "hot".

22. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    These 4 are hot with truck off.

5103429F-4937-45C5-85C5-707334C2CB4F.jpg

23. Apr 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Quick question: do I just leave the negative side of the 12 volt charger alone? Cap both the positive and negative factory harness?

509C9090-8C33-4F00-9071-15724366A0C8.jpg

24. Apr 28, 2018 at 11:17 AM
    TOTU17

TOTU17 New Member

Member:
    I ran a wire from my battery to the outlet, it powers all 3 when you do it like this. But I have done it to all 5 tundras I've had with no issues . You can put a switch in between if that makes you feel more comfortable

25. Apr 28, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I used an add a fuse just wondering if it needed to be grounded or just leave the ground on 12 volt charger untouched.

26. Apr 28, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Finally! It may be simple to some but this made me nervous! Give me a splenectomy or bowel resection any day over electrical work! Thanks to all that helped it’s working like a charm!

boostedtrdpro and NewImprovedRon like this.
  27. Sep 9, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 & 1st Degenerate

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC Tundra Limited 4x4 v8
    flowmaster 40, DDI injectors, sliders, bumper
    No it wouldn't. It's a common mod on first gen taco. Just pull the relay and take to make quick connect blades and about 2 inches of.wire to make a jumper and plug it into the correct two slots where the relay was and Bam. Constant power. I didn't his for years on my 03 taco and never had an issue.

28. Sep 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Question,

Wire running across or wire running out for proper protection using the add a fuse?

29. Sep 12, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I will look in a bit

30. Sep 12, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Mine doesn’t not run across any fuses.

B99B19CB-E25D-4534-92D7-9F6635DC8FE0.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top