1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to identify a 38 gallon tank in a salvage yard?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Rod67, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mar 6, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Yup. I must have been tired when I commented-- basically was thinking the reverse of what I described; was picturing the shift on the column as paired with the bucket seats and console; whereas the floor shifter pairs with the bucket seats and console. This is the set-up I have in fact. But I couldn't see explaining it to someone thinking I was trying to call him out, and it was my error, so I just let it be. Thanks for seeing what I did there. :hattip:Blessed are the peacekeepers.

tundraty[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 6, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Mmmm...OK...Now I get it.

You guys are either dumb as a bucket of rocks, or this has all been sarcastic humor at my expense. And, since I know there are no dummies on tundras.com, I assume the second choice. But...While you're being witty, there are actually people on this thread that didn't know there was an SR5 Upgrade option. AND, that option was listed/described on Toyota's website in 2017. :D

And, @tundraty just in case you're serious, no disrespect intended...No. No one has said you could get a column shift with bucket seats. Bucket seats = Center console = Floor shifter. 40/20/40 bench = fold down center seatback = column shifter. One or the other...no substitutions allowed.

Edit: Oops, just saw your post @Sunnier. Sorry, I must have been tired too. Didn't see your misunderstanding about the column shifter w/bucket seats.:thumbsup:

Sunnier likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    :popcorn: thought you were trolling haha

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 6, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    tundraty

tundraty New Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Celestial Silver SR5 CM 4x4 TSS Off-Road
    Sorry if that came across in a way I didn't intend it to. I was simply trying to help answer a question if possible...

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    tundraty

tundraty New Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Celestial Silver SR5 CM 4x4 TSS Off-Road
    @JohnLakeman I never implied everyone knew what the SR5 Upgrade option was. I was simply trying to help answer a question and nothing "witty". If you look at my post you will see I quoted Sunnier's trying to help understand the setup he was referencing.

Sunnier likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    :sorry: Yes, I saw that after re-reading his post and your post. You were the only one that completely understood ALL the misunderstanding, and innocently tried to sort it out. No problem, we're all good as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Sunnier and tundraty[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Mar 6, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    curt37

curt37 New Member

Member:
    FRESNO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crew Cab white
    SNUGTOP BED COVER
    I have a 2018 Limited Crew Max and the 38 gal tank is standard, with 4x4 and tow package.

8. Mar 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    mojojo

mojojo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 CM
    This guy nails it... And I have the truck to prove it.

The larger tank comes at the same time as front bucket seats (which is an upgrade from the SR5 package). Fwiw, I have a 2018 Crewmax SR5 with a front bench seat, tow package, and small gas tank.

9. Feb 12, 2023 at 11:10 AM
    YellowLab

YellowLab New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Hey All,

I am a potential new buyer of a Tundra '17-21 and am looking for one with a 38 gallon tank... most SR5s that I find have the small tank. I know I can get an upper model (limited, platinum, etc)....but I actually don't want all the extras like leather, sun roof etc.

I am thinking that I may try and just get an SR5 but if I can't find one with a 38 I liked your idea of finding one in the junk yard... ( I asked at my local Toyota dealership and the tank alone was $1700 and probably near $400 to get it installed).

I was wondering if you had success in getting one from salvage and having it installed? ( It is not a job I would want to try on my own. I would rather have my local mechanic do that.

I see some great ideas on here on doing this from a salvage yard...I am just wondering if anyone has had success and if there are any things to be aware of.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Danny (Pennsylvania)

10. Feb 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona