1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much sound deadening for doors? (Inside & out?)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BrakeDust, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Apr 7, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I would alsoo consider Cascade audio engineering.
    http://www.cascadeaudio.com/
    The v-blok products are for mobile applications

It can be pricey but well worth it. They have products for every facet of sound /noise/vibration/heat control.
    I did everything inside and out of all doors, from the bottom of the windshield, the whole firewall, all the floors, all pillars, all the way up to the rear window and my truck is an absolute tomb.

Don't forget to treat the door panels as well. They are plastic and if left untreated, they will rattle.

2. Apr 7, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    This is something I need to do. Sound deadening the doors themselves helped with a lot of the rattles but the cheap fasteners in the door panels still rattle like hell at certain frequencies.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2021 at 10:40 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    *BrakeDust orders a 4th box*

cavalry bear and AZBoatHauler like this.
  4. Apr 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    I think I overdid my doors.
    If I had it to do over again, I would Dynamat the exterior skin and do a layer of Dynaliner over the interior skin under the door panel.
    With even the slightest touch these doors slam because they are SO DAMN HEAVY.

128D0D21-A86E-48F7-A743-059702AC9E0D_zps_52b78ed42eadfac26986c0bfa709adef1bc3fbfd.jpg
    64016053-EF55-4AF7-9E3C-EAE762059204_zps_7da3a97027a33655c0d2649a7257038d90783650.jpg DAC5B24E-EDFE-468A-BE05-F7BB59432A10_zps_d8e69600c51a85f0939b8ae995c50843b34d5cde.jpg

No regrets on the rear wall and floor...

638DCE44-F47A-440E-998C-AD18A99A9987_zps_f4da84e7206c55043455603401fd47433fda6d79.jpg

47332915-4D32-4748-BED7-CDC3C5B5250B_zps_f54b398b86967077b8372d89614168e9901b0646.jpg

5. Apr 7, 2021 at 11:32 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    For the door panel clips use Resonix Rope around the plastic fastener.

cavalry bear likes this.
  6. Apr 8, 2021 at 5:04 AM
    Black

Black Raised Hands Surround Us. 3 Nails To Protect Us

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited CrewMax
    Falcon Leveling System, Coachbuilder +1s, RCI Skid Plates
    Wow. Seems like some of you all are using a ton of extra material for the doors. Or I am really under estimating the size of the doors.
    I did my rear floor, rear wall inside, outside, and the rear wall panel completely separate and I used one 18 square foot box and one sheet from the 2nd 18 square foot box. I am just not visualizing how a single door is going to take 15-20 square feet.
    This is the first time I have done such a thing so maybe I did a crap job. Just need a chance to get the doors done. The rear wall and floor alone made a huge difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Apr 8, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    BrakeDust

BrakeDust [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    That looks great! Very tidy work.

What's involved in opening up the back of the cabin? I've had my seats out before but didn't pay attention to what's back there. Any carpeting to cut or is there just a loose shroud hanging over the metal?

I'm still waiting to start my install but I can totally see using 18 sq ft per door. One square yard = 9 sq ft. One square yard per surface, two per door.

8. Apr 8, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    Black

Black Raised Hands Surround Us. 3 Nails To Protect Us

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited CrewMax
    Falcon Leveling System, Coachbuilder +1s, RCI Skid Plates
    It is simple. Pop the seats out, remove the weather strip around the doors to pop out the C pillars if you want to get the material behind the pillar (not sure really how much added benefit that actually gets but is easy enough to remove), then the carpet just folds back you can see it standing up there in the last picture I tied it up to the front head rests.
    The panel is a bunch of 10mm (if memory serves correct) bolts.
    [​IMG]
    Hardest part is the inside back wall because you have all the rails, tracks, and supports for the back glass. Just have to work the larger pieces back there carefully.
    For $30 in material and took me about 4 hours as I had my 7 year old helping/learning (which usually adds a fair amount time compared to just me doing it but teaching my boy skills and spending time with him is well worth it).
    I will do a full system someday when funds allow but for now I just straight swapped an 8” Alpine sub into the factory enclosure (needed a 1” spacer) but just adding the sound deadener to the back and the sun really changed the dynamics of the JBL system. Can’t wait to get a chance to get the doors done.
    [​IMG]

9. Apr 8, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    BrakeDust

BrakeDust [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hill Country, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM SR5 4x4 Magnetic
    Thanks for the pics Black!

I swear this forum has been hard on my wallet.

Good video on the Crewmax back wall process:
    (However... I don't think I'd cover up the access panel, I'd still apply the mat but as a separate step and leave the bolts and outline exposed)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udp-tmx0Hus

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  10. Jun 11, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    MikeMac CA

MikeMac CA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SR5
    I just ordered this same kit from Taylors Audio and have the killmat already to go. Thank you for posting pics, it is very helpful!!!

11. Mar 17, 2022 at 4:02 AM
    KDK143

KDK143 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra SR5 Access Cab
    2" leveling kit, cherry bomb glass pack, JVC touchscreen with backup camera, Bull Bar Bumper 17" Limited wheels with 265/60/17 Tires
    Outstanding pics and detail! Thank you!

12. Mar 18, 2022 at 4:23 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    I’m very pleased with my setup. All the doors and back wall done. Also inside the doors. My 3rd vehicle done. I had my C5 Z06 all done when I had it. Also now my 19 Z06 done. Makes a really big difference. Even in fiberglass cars. Lol.

13. Dec 18, 2022 at 12:45 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I’m about to install some 8mil Kilmat in my truck. I’m wondering if most of the installs I’ve seen on here are total overkill.

I don’t think the idea is to cover every square inch of every panel of the cab, but rather to add mass that dampens resonance, and adding a couple 12” sheets to each panel dampens it sufficiently.

It seems that the information I’m finding on this stuff is all over the place. Many shops cover every square inch. But I’ve seen some install videos on YouTube from shops that stick a couple sheets on the inside of the outer door skins and a couple sheets on the inner door skin.

I need to do more research, but my hunch is that covering every square inch instead of simply adding some mass to each panel provides diminishing returns. Maybe I’ll not cover every square inch and see if I think it is sufficient. :notsure:

Audiolust likes this.
  14. Dec 18, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    What are you trying to do?

15. Dec 18, 2022 at 2:11 PM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    The idea is to add mass and dampen the vibrations. In theory, covering the entire panel would be better than just parts of it. You can do just parts and achieve similar results. Also depends on the panel. The back panel, floor, and pillars are generally pretty solid and won’t vibrate//resonate much. Not saying you can’t make improvements, but these are areas I wouldn’t do as much. Inner and outer door skins and the roof on the other hand definitely will vibrate and could use more coverage.

Also depends on what you are trying to achieve. Just dampen some errant rattles or going for a fully enclosed cab that will pop your ears when you slam a door?

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 18, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I don’t have any rattles or interior sounds in my truck. I just want less road noise. I definitely do not want my ears to pop. Just a quieter cab. More clarity from the radio at lower volumes.

RusPro21 likes this.
  17. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    To eliminate road noise you need to add MLV.

robabeatle likes this.
  18. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Raamaudio had a dense cell foam you would lay over the mlv. Stuff worked great. There are multiple ways to attack noise depending on what you are trying to do.

19. Dec 20, 2022 at 4:00 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    This. I did the whole nine: mlv, ccf, cld in my 2002. Spent over 40 hours doing it and added over 100 lbs to the truck. I definitely overdid the cld. With all that work, the truck has low resonances and it is quieter but it is a truck, not a lexus and I likely would not go through all that again. The only place where you will do well to put a lot of kilmat is on the interior door: cover up all the big holes, unlike a poster way above. This will turn the door into a leaky sealed box and improves the midbass. Otherwise, kilmat (cld) needs to only go on large flat panels. It really doesnt block noise at all. MLV is used for that and it is a pain in the rear to install.

20. Dec 27, 2022 at 9:16 PM
    Baldilocks

Baldilocks New Member

Member:
    The current "best" CLD out right now according to some comparison tests is Resonix. Nick - the guy that owns the biz & designed the CLD says this:

"The next thing to consider is that larger pieces are better than smaller pieces, EVEN when they total to the same amount of coverage. The third thing to consider is that diminishing returns come in at around 25%-35% coverage, although the “stage 1” sound deadening package that I offer at the shop still includes up to 50%+ coverage on the outer door skins. More is always better, but diminishing returns do exist. "

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/reference-information/

"

Terndrerrr and M3Tundra-JK like this.
  21. Dec 27, 2022 at 10:22 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    Resonix is not the best CLD. This product has not being tested by a lab. I like STP. They offer the best materials.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  22. Dec 28, 2022 at 4:52 AM
    Audiolust

Audiolust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited
    I think you're going to find a lot of different opinions on this. Some have merits, others are just silly. It also depends on what material your using. IMO, probably a controversial one, MLV is overrated for most car applications in general.

As far as the butyl type products go, you're correct, full coverage is typically overkill. In order to get an object to stop vibrating you have to add mass to it. That requires more energy to get it to resonate. Most applications would be fine with covering large and small flat areas with your butyl product. Areas with bent or creased metal requires significantly more energy to get it to resonate. Are you going to run a SPL system? Probably should just cover everything (Funny they actually concrete in their panels). However! There is a huge benefit to covering those gaping holes in our door panels and creating a mostly sealed box for the speaker doors. There are pro's and cons, you'll just have to decide what's best for you. Remember butyl products are for resonance though covering everything to stop road noise isn't their job.

Adding Closed Cell Foam or equivalent product after butyl in full coverage IS a good idea, for the most part. It's cost effective, and cuts down on road noise. They come with sticky backing and are easy to apply. You can even visit local carpet stores and pick up scrap flooring backer and stuff it behind the panels for decent effect. Again here, CCF products are cost effective, and effective at cutting down road noise, its worth the effort applying liberally.

Now on to the elephant in the room MLV. Before I get off on my personal opinion on MLV its a great product, it is backed by tons of research and works well. But a practical application in cars for the cost in my opinion its snake oil in the audio world unless you're in an SQL competition car that's parked and not moving. MLV does a wonderful job at completely blocking noise from a specific source. Tired of hearing your 37 mud tires roaring down the highway? Sure cover the fender liners and wheel wells, itll help a little bit. Someone up top mentioned rain on the roof, sure, throw it above the headliner and itll help isolating that to an extent. MLV is great for things that can be isolated. A wall in a room that can completely cover said wall. Making a movie theater. Completely covering the walls in your master bedroom to have a sanctuary. All of these make sense because you can completely isolate the source of the noise. You can not do that in a vehicle (correction, you cannot do that in a daily driver, practically, especially a Tundra). It's an egg crate with wheels as far as sound penetration goes, and for the cost MLV becomes severely hindered by diminishing returns quickly. It's thick, heavy, not easy to secure and it doesnt isolate all road noise and it is expensive. The tire example above, road noise is still going to get in through the floor, doors, windows. Same with rain on the roof, youre still going to get rain from the hood, windows, wheel wells. You cannot completely address all sources of noise with MLV, even in doors, the sound is still going to penetrate through the A,B,C pillars, and windows. Outside of stopping a specific source of noise (rain on the roof) youre still going to: 1. Hear the rain from elsewhere, 2: have an all in cabin savings of 1-3db in sound reduction. For the effort, and costs, it's just not worth it.

Our Tundras are not built with fancy glass and felt wheel wells. MLV is not appropriate for most people, in most situations, in my opinion.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Dec 28, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    MLV is likely not worth it for most people. It made a difference, but not a large one. And it is a lot of work. I put about 40 hours in sound treatment. You can search for my thread here somewhere:

mcharfauros and Audiolust like this.
  24. Jan 26, 2024 at 5:47 PM
    AlexFIA

AlexFIA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    I realize this is an old thread, but it's a decent one for the topic. I'm about to start taking out the interior (tackling rear first) to install some Killmat on rear wall and doors, but curious about the MLV comments above. Since I have everything out, I wonder if it would be worth adding some of the foam padding (Siless 157mil) while I'm there. I feel the damper for the big panels would help, but not sure how much 4mm of sound insulation would really help given really big windows and everything else. Amazon has the Siless for $50 a pack which makes it seem worthwhile given the labor to remove everything but would be great to hear some comments from others and their experience.

Am I just adding weight and spending money for little gain? I still have the factory head unit with aftermarket speakers and I'm looking for clearer sound, especially for "voice" type audio (phone calls, talk radio, whatever). Its a truck, so expectations are low.

25. Jan 27, 2024 at 7:19 AM
    Baldilocks

Baldilocks New Member

Member:
    Your goal being "clearer sound" - deadener will do nothing to help with that and not worth your money much less the time to install if that is all you are doing ---- BUT if you plan on adding a DSP or new headunit then absolutely add in the deadener.

New headunit / DSP is the absolute critical first step to better sound - waaaaaay before new aftermarket speakers. Factory units put out trash signal with all pass filters, time alignments, EQ, etc. By replacing the OEM speakers first, you are just feeding them that trash signal and not getting near what those speakers are capabale of.

26. Jan 27, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    AlexFIA

AlexFIA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Thanks for this. Head unit is next and I've looked at the HU thread on here. Speakers were replaced because a couple had gone bad and figured I'd knock it out with the goal of replacing the head unit down the road. This might get me to do it sooner than later. I like the convenience of steering wheel controls and SiriusXM, but I know with some adapters I can keep all that. Just need to settle on a reasonable head unit.

27. Jan 27, 2024 at 2:49 PM
    Baldilocks

Baldilocks New Member

Member:
    If you wanna keep headunit can use a kicker keyloc to get rid of the factory eq and feed to an amp.

Keyloc not perfect but pretty damn close and will not interfere with steering wheel controls and it is easy a hell to set up (tap rear channels not front). I use one with on my '23 becasue cannot change HU. Feeds into MiniDSP 8x12DL ($$$) then amps and I have audio bliss --- I do have a buttload of deadener too

AlexFIA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top