1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many miles on your fox shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SamW, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    SamW

SamW [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    New pro owner here, love it. Just curious how many miles are you guys seeing out of your fox shocks before replacing them?

2. Oct 16, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    Good question Sam. I'm also digging the suspension on the '20 Pro. I'm hoping the shocks will go 100,000 miles, but obviously will depend on many factors. How much we haul and tow, and how aggressively we drive off road, the conditions we drive in, etc. Plus, mechanical stuff breaks sooner or later.

My previous Tundra Off Road came with the factory Bilstein's and then I converted to Bilstein 6112/5100 combo. The ride became a bit more stiff. But, neither configuration rode as well as the Pro. I'm really enjoying it. I'm taking it onto the playa in the Alvord Desert this weekend.

3. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    Weavin Pro

Weavin Pro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO
    2020 PRO owner here...I’m not quite as optimistic...hoping for a strong 50k...then move to a high quality suspension like ICON.

4. Oct 17, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    :popcorn: This should get interesting

jewsNbrews and TelemarkTumalo like this.
  5. Oct 18, 2020 at 1:18 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    For what toyota charges for those shocks, I would hope you guys get at least 100k out of them.

jewsNbrews and Wynnded like this.
  6. Oct 18, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    I got 100k+ on my factory Bilsteins on a Gen1 tundra. One of them started to leak so replaced the set. Hoping for the same out of the Fox set up. Admittedly, I drive like a Grandpa.... come to think of it, I am a Grandpa. WTF?

Mattco808, jewsNbrews, Voss and 2 others like this.
  7. Oct 18, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    Can you not rebuild them? Are they not normal Fox's?

8. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:11 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I've read somewhere here where one of the members reached out to Fox on this subject and was told by them that these can be rebuilt.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  9. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    Oh, so just Pro owner things of buying the fanciest package and just throwing away the options they spent money on? That's good :D

Darkness and jewsNbrews like this.
  10. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Craigslist opportunities I guess. :thumbsup:

11. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:39 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Not sure, but they look to be a special build for Toyota TRD. Looking at the Fox website, I don't see any offerings there that look to be the same.

I found this video about the front and rear suspension on the '19-'21 Pro's. Doesn't address this question, but informative about the design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc6-7_pwA4M

12. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
  13. Oct 19, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

From the reading I've done here on the forum, it sounds like the Icon's are a nice setup for real offroad at moderate to high speeds, but they ride stiff at low speed and on pavement.

Still a lot to learn for me, before I upgrade my stock 1794 suspension

TelemarkTumalo likes this.
  14. Oct 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    voodoopro1919

voodoopro1919 New Member

Member:
    I've got 75k on my '19 and the suspension still feels great. No leaks or excessive bounce. I work in pipe line construction so she sees her fair share of off road abuse and towing

15. Oct 30, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB
    If there is one thing that I've learned about Toyota is that they don't typically choose weak parts. There is a reason that our trucks are dinosaurs....they are reliable and Toyota is slow to change things. This can be good and bad. That said, I'd be surprised if the service interval on the Pro shocks is anything less than a normal shock. Imagine the public outrage if all the most expensive model of their most expensive truck had a suspension that only lasted 3-5 years when the others are going 6-10 years depending on mileage per year.

It just doesn't make sense that anyone would find these as "inferior" in any capacity.

I mean no disrespect, but 2 things in this statement leave me scratching my heads. First, only hoping for 50k? How many miles do you have now, and have you noticed significant deterioration since day 1? Also, what is your typical use (i.e. live near/in the desert vs. live where salt is used in the winter)?

Second. "high quality like ICON." ICON used to be high quality, but has gone down hill in recent years. Too many failures (at least on Tacomas and 4Runners) for me to be comfortable spending that kind of money on them. Personally, I'd look more at Kings for similar cost. I have the Toytec BOSS 2.0 w/ heavy springs on my Tacoma, FWIW.

Products Discussed in

To Top