1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How is the Tundra lacking techology?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BurnsX-24, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Mar 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Except my tundra does have Bluetooth, air conditioning and everything else I want. For me it’s enough.

Migstoy and TxTaco like this.
  2. Mar 31, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    superslif

superslif New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NE. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 Limited
    Firestone bags, Toyota tow mirrors, TRD sway bar
    I would rather have simple / reliable / solid / truck than a unproven / high tech / bling truck. The new Ram's with it's
    etorque issues / transmission issues / water leaks is not on my list for a future truck. Looked at a GMC a few weeks back, and right off the bat the double cab seating was sub-standard compared to the Tundra's DC. Sticker was over $60k for a the half ton truck.

Black Wolf and 15whtrd like this.
  3. Mar 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    CreekDweller

CreekDweller Not so new ...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794 TRD Off-Road
    This is my first post after lurking here for a couple of months - I'm in the market for a truck. Before coming here I was lurking on the F150 forum for several months. Since I don't own either truck I don't have any experiences to relate or shortcomings to cite and also no axe to grind pro or con any brand. However, my overwhelming impression after spending a lot of time lurking the F150forum.com is how many posts there are there about problems with the newest generation of Ford trucks - and yes, I understand that they sold a zillion of these trucks, but still, the percentage of complaints seems very, very high.

I was pretty well settled on buying the Ford due to the terrific marketing they do and the flexibility buyers have in ordering a truck exactly the way desired. But I became disillusioned after reading about so man problems Ford owners were having with the electronics for sure, but also with mechanical systems. Here are a few common complaints: IWE problems (auto locking front hubs), leaking crank pan gaskets, limp-home problems, frozen door locks in winter, *major* leaks from the panoramic moon roof into cab (the dealer lots have almost all with the pano roof, so you will likely get one), broken moon roof glass when it jumps its tracks, shattered back window glass, water leaks from cabin vents into cab, warped dashboard, and more.

For the most part Ford seems to make a fairly robust series of engines so I don't see that as much of an issue, and though some people hate the idea of the Eco-Boost, it's just turbo charging and Ford seems to have it mostly figured out. My impression of their trucks overall is that Ford works so hard to stay ahead of the design and cool new features competition that they don't even fully address the problems with the last generation of trucks (they're up the gen 17 now!) before they have to roll out a new generation to stay ahead of the Joneses.

Which brought me to re-consider the Tundra after having dismissed it for how old a design it is and because of the crappy gas mileage. So I began lurking here. What I noticed immediately on this forum is the much smaller percentage of owners who are posting complaints that on the F150 forum, though lately the percentage of complaints seems to be rising quite a bit. I am somewhat concerned about that, but mostly I am hesitating to buy a Tundra because I want a couple of things supposed to be included in the 2020 refresh. Mostly, owners posts here to talk about things other than their trucks' problems.

So here is my wish list for a revised Tundra: I'd really like to have a fully boxed frame, but I'll have to get over that because I doubt very much that is coming for 2020. I also want Android Auto, which IS rumored to be coming, because Entune and a low resolution 7" screen isn't cutting it. I'd also like to get better gas mileage (hold your cards and letters please, I know it's a truck) which can be much improved with some weight savings coupled with an 8 or 10 speed transmission - which CAN be just as reliable as the current 6 speed. I'd also like to see Toyota get rid of that gawd awful cheap plastic on the door panels in favor of some higher quality material. And lastly, I'd really like rain sensing wipers which I have on a 2007! Lexus and another car I own from 2002! These are simple things that, except for the gas mileage fix, are fairly easily do-able without even a major re-design.

So, long first post. I hope the 2020 refresh will address some of these issues and I'll join you as a regular.

4. Mar 31, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Addressing the plastic door cards and dashboard. They do seem a bit cheap and can scratch easily but that can be combated with keeping a little protectant on them. One thing we don’t have a problem with, is our plastics cracking like they seem to do in the other three. So while the molds of the plastic may have some cheesy edges that could use some fine-tuning from the factory, the plastic is very durable when it comes to being a broken piece of shit LOL. Oh and welcome to the site!

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Mar 31, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I found the same thing on the Chevy double cab, the back seat is so tight. That's pretty much why I came over to a Tundra, and I couldn't find a crew cab without the bs 3.08 gearset. I had to go with a double cab as I need the longer bed, wish Toyota would just give the crewmax a real bed instead of the shorty.

6. Mar 31, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    superslif

superslif New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NE. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    CreekDweller: What will any truck purchase be used for? I have brothers who are both Ram and F-150 loyal. Can't tell you how many times they have been on the flatbed..My Ram brother, is especially hard on his trucks, which explains the last 3 (all purchased new) were basically worthless when traded in. All 3 had tranny's let go way before any truck should. All three had suspension, steering box and rear end issues.. The Ford bro has had many of those issues you listed above.

Myself reliability has to be #1. I don't care if the truck will tow a zillion pounds, it means nothing if it can't move that zillion pounds. It's just a lawn ornament then. Your statement about Ford not "fixing" it's previous issues on it's last gen vehicle, seems to me they are willing to "spend $$" their way out of it to bury it's deficiencies in the past. In the mean time buyers of their used trucks, foot the bill.

Black Wolf likes this.
  7. Mar 31, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    ifishinxs

ifishinxs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar city, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra limited
    None! I tow a boat weekly
    None of all the latest whiz bang stuff means JACK! if the truck isn't Reliable. Form always follows function.

Black Wolf likes this.
  8. Mar 31, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    CreekDweller

CreekDweller Not so new ...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794 TRD Off-Road
    I agree - that's why I ruled out the F-150 and am now on the Tundra trail, only with a couple of issues maybe resolved for 2020.

9. Apr 1, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    superslif

superslif New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    NE. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Set to leave on another 12k to 15k mile trip back up to Alaska for 3-4 months. There is no other truck I would rather have. Plan to get into the Northwest Territories this time and the Arctic Circle.

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Apr 1, 2019 at 5:16 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    The tight-wad, penny pinching beancounters at Toyota are all too happy to sell us many of the features that were standard equipment on my 2010 SR5. $50 for a $15 Grab Handle is a great deal...for Toyota! We could probably wire-in some lights at the door bottoms, change out the AC/Heat back to Dual Zone, install a lighted ignition ring back where it was, buy Amber lens for the flashers, re-install dual level glove boxes, get a sliding console from a junkyard and install it, maybe even add our own storage compartments, many of which have disappeared over the years. I'm looking for the Shock/struts on the hood and Tailgate to go next!o_O:D

Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Apr 1, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I agree, but as Toyota adds content like TSS for example then they have to cut something else out to keep there numbers where they want them. I think the driver grab handle was removed due to a lawsuit where I person struck it during an accident, I read that somewhere. Its probably true though because in the recent crash test the crash dummy in the Tundra struck the passenger side grab handle as well, it might be soon to go next.

12. Apr 1, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    You're right. Since the Gas Pedal hoax, Toyota has become ultra safety conscience but they still manage to be dead-last in the latest crash test. Maybe in the next few years Toyota will require it's customers wear helmets while driving their vehicles.

Black Wolf likes this.
  13. Apr 1, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    A few members here that drive white Tunnys already wear tinfoil hats....

Racingjohndeere55 likes this.
  14. Apr 1, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    And they buy rangers

Romad99 and Black Wolf[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Apr 2, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock
    I can attest to this 100000 %

This Tundra is my fifth new truck I owned. My first two trucks were F-150’s FX4. My third and forth trucks were the Rams. I will never ever ever buy an F-150 again. I had nothing but issues. I was in dealer every three months literally for both. The new Limited I had was leaking from the roof and my shoulders were always wet. My brother use to joke with me and ask me for the forecast in the truck daily lol. Then the dealer took a panoramic roof of another new F-150 in the lot and put it on mine. I saw this first hand and that’s just pure wrong. I kid you not that they did this twice. Problem was still there. Door latches issues, condenser messed up, push start button failed, auto starter not working bla bla bla. I learned my lesson. I never abused my trucks and I always order them so they don’t get tampered with.

My Rams however were good trucks. I never had major issues other than the extreme cold messing with electronics and sensors and air bags froze on me a few times. The back seats were also too small in relation to the Tundra and F-150.

I love this Tundra mainly cause I don’t worry. I grew up driving a land cruiser and it’s been in my family forever. The Tundra doesn’t have all the gadgets but honestly half the stuff I don’t need and I know will fail given the climate here. I’ll pay the extra gas and I welcome the resale value. This was my experience with trucks. I will never buy anything but Toyata.

Turk980 likes this.
  16. Apr 2, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    No gadgets or technology... but I got two recalls in the mail yesterday for my tundra... one for the safety system and I can’t remember what the other one was..:(

Black Wolf likes this.
  17. Apr 2, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    W///

W/// New Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Platinum
    Been lurking for a few months and finally making my first post. Big BMW fanatic here, but I do have an old 1997 4Runner with 300k miles on it that I paid $3000 for years ago which I use as a beater car. It's still running, which has made me a big Toyota SUV/Truck admirer ever since. When that car finally kicks the bucket, I considered replacing it with a V8 4Runner, but I've always loved the Tundra ever since the 2nd gen came out. I'm currently at 5 cars, so there's no big rush to get one.

Regarding the Tundra, I think I'm in the middle. Of course I'd buy the Tundra because of the proven powertrain and reliability. I however find it ridiculous that it took this long to get a keyfob. Auto Up/Down mirrors not standard across the board? Really? For such a big truck, I'd also expect a better camera system. I don't think it's asking for much, nor do any of the items that I listed make the truck any less reliable than it is.

Overall, not a deal breaker as the Tundra would still be hands down my first choice. But some of the items are definitely baffling. At the end of the day, these are still not cheap vehicles to buy new.

18. Apr 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    zookaroo

zookaroo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794
    The Tundra is honestly not that outdated in technology or in styling. Does it lack features of new trucks...sure. My tundra I paid 47k loaded. I looked at the new Rams\F150\GM trucks, loaded these truck were about 60K+ after discounts. Was a few extra cameras, auto running boards, keyfob, and whatever else worth 10k+....no .Gas mileage is not that bad either. My buddy has a new 2019 Sierra Denali, it has the 6.2l and GM prefers premium gas. He averages 14mpg in the city. I'm averaging 13.5mpg in the city. Honestly no other truck can match the resale and reliability of the tundra.

PA452 and 15whtrd like this.
  19. Apr 2, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    On the mileage thing, I always say the gas savings you get by going with another brand will quickly be wiped out by one significant out-of-warranty repair, not to mention resale value.

Boerseun and 15whtrd like this.
  20. Apr 2, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Plus,the weekend/spare time hours, spent under the hood/truck keeping it going after the warranty is up. I have some big-3 fan boiz who just accept the fact that there will be always something their trucks need, just to keep them operational. I'm right there making sure they hear how my truck always needs something too...like under-hood detail/cleaning, additional tire shine applied, wax and sealant on the wheels and paint + interior detail every so often!:D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  21. Apr 2, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Migstoy

Migstoy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4X4
    Firestone Airbags Gibson MWA Exhaust Running on 35's
    It is nice to have all that tech in the Ford because you need things to keep you busy while you are waiting for the tow truck on the side of the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top