1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How does Tundra compare to the current F150?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Cabinetman, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

So. Much. Like.

Makes me wonder if people have ever been in a Lexus/4Runner/Camry/Avalon/Tacoma

Boosted4runner likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I know. I love Lexus sedans, even the huge spindle grill. My daughter starts to drive next year and I’m going to buy a used Camry or IS as a third vehicle.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Oh I hear that. My retirement vehicle will either be:

Lexus IS F (if I find a low mileage, unmolested one)
    Lexus RC F
    Corvette Z06

I've been swinging towards the Z06. I need another Vette in my life.

4. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Boosted4runner

Boosted4runner Join the NRA please.

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD Tundra, Kings, 5.7, 2018 front end
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    This.
    Exactly.

5. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    Here, I fixed this for you. ;)

Ps - I found a 2012 IS-F with 70K miles for $22K last week and almost bought it LOL.
    Wife would’ve divorced me, and I couldn’t figure out an excuse. o_O

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Cabinetman

Cabinetman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Interestingly I have owned two IS-Fs, a 2008 and 2012. It is a fun car if you can think of it more as a coupe than a sedan. I’m 6’2” and there wasn’t much room behind me when I got into a comfortable driving position. I owned a 2010 E90 M3 in this same stretch and the IS-F was a more fun car around town. The BMW only started feeling special when the revs got north of 5k. In around town driving it felt pretty pedestrian.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  7. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    I just sat in a 2019 loaded F150 Ecoburst last night, and talked my buddy into Icon arms and Kings.
    Can’t wait for the install in a few weeks. I’m pretty curious how it will compare to my Tundra with the same setup.
    I’ll never move to a Ford.
    Supercharge the 5.7 on Kings and be done.

The Ford was fancy as Fuck inside, but my truck is for truck shit. The Lexus is for fancy shit. I don’t need a dual-purpose truck. I want my shit to run.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  8. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    That’s why I corrected Chris’s post and put GS-F :D

9. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    So that GS F is pretty nice. Me likey.

10. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I can't remember if it was a 09 or 10 M3, but I did have the opportunity to stretch it's legs a bit on a track. Very rewarding car.

If having to choose between a IS F or M3, I would choose the Lexus for every day use.

Boosted4runner likes this.
  11. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    RisingSons

RisingSons New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    I understand what you are saying and agree with much of it re the Tundra. Yet, it’s not altogether true that Toyota hasn’t chosen to invest in reliability (and I’d add durability) over tech when it comes to not only the Tundra, but much of their truck / SUV line.

Having owned newer (2016+) Lexus GX460’s, LX570’s and Toyota Land Cruisers and 4Runners, it is definitely the case that Toyota (especially if the vehicle is made in Japan) could not care less if other brands dive in first with newer tech and turbo charged engines, etc.

As any Land Cruiser / LX570 / GX460 / 4Runner owner who knows their stuff / rig (and isn’t merely using it as a mall cruiser) will say: Let Ford, Jeep, Dodge, Cadillac, Rover. etc have their updated tech and engines 5 years+ before top end Toyota / Lexus trucks / SUV’s do (Land Cruisers, GX460’s, LX570’s, and 4Runners are only now getting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto). The reliability and durability of those vehicles is absolutely unmatched by any other vehicle... and it’s partly because Toyota is slow to adapt some tech / engines which have clearly proven to fail in part (I’m looking at you, turbo charged engines) before 100k miles. To bring in another luxury model, ask any Master BMW mechanic if he/she would own an X5 with a dual turbo past 60k miles without an extended warranty. Nope.

So, getting back to the Tundra, I think Toyota is intentionally following an engineering and business model per being slow to adopt new tech and engines for it. It’s not simply due to only having so much cash to invest in their various lines. They are a very well-off company because reliability and durability are of primary importance to them. I like Ford F-150’s, but like a BMW X5, I’d never own a new one past 60k miles. That’s just not the case with the Tundra.

Boosted4runner and gosolo like this.
  12. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Viking

Viking New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    2007 metalic brown double cab Tundra
    At 76+ years of age I've seen a lot of changes in vehicles over the years, I've been mostly a Ford owner over those years but those that I liked the best were ones I built. I put 430 Lincoln engines in a number of different cars, two most favorite were a 1939 Chevy coupe and a 1951 F 100 pickup, still wish I had that pickup. In the 1970's I built a 289 powered 1962 Fairlane that I could pull over 100 mph up the east bound side of Eisenhower pass in Colorado. The last Ford we owned was a 1989 F-250 extended cab diesel that gave up at just over 100,000 miles, before the engine started having more oil in the coolant than in the oil sump, it was a hauling monster, one of the firewood loads I had in it was over 2,300 pounds, I really liked the truck because of what it could do and I wanted to get another engine for it but the cost for diesel engines is really steep and I figured it would be far less expensive just to get a gasoline powered truck. When I mentioned my idea to my wife she said I should check out Toyota's pickups, we had just recently bought a used Sienna, which replaced our Windstar, and it was a great machine, that's when I ran across the 2007 Tundra DC SR5 with 244,000 miles, we test drove it while at the local Toyota dealer for service on the Sienna, I wasn't even trying to take off fast from a stop light but burned a bit of rubber, impressed the heck out of me for the power that the 5.7 engine had, when we got back to the dealer they printed out a Car Fax for us that showed that the truck had been serviced regularly, other than a few dents on the bumpers and a few small paint scratches, the truck ran and looked amazingly new. In looking back over the years I realize that in my younger years most vehicles would do good to get to the 100,000 mile mark and since then I have seen many Toyota's with well over 200,000 miles and read of two Tundra's with over 1 million miles, this certainly says a lot about the quality that Toyota puts into their vehicles. Since I come from old school low tech vehicles, our 2007 Tundra, with no computer screen and relatively low tech electronics, makes me very happy, I kind of miss an 8 foot bed but have hauled a lot of 8 to 10 foot lumber without too much overhang. Another thing that makes me happy is the power train, I've been wanting a hot rod, would have actually loved to get a Mustang GT but the way the Tundra runs, it's also my new hot rod and we've paid far less than what the Mustang GT would have cost us. Anyway, as far as I can see, I believe our Tundra will far outlive us and will take care of our needs for a pickup. I have nothing against Chevy, Ford and Dodge pickups, however now that we own a Tundra, I don't think I'd want anything else, unless a Nissan longbed V-8 Cummins diesel powered pickup came our way, yeah, I saw one and talked to the owner, I was pretty impressed but not with the price.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  13. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    And I don't think 'slow' to adopt the tech is the right concept - they'll start testing it almost right away, they just do all the testing in house and don't want consumers to be the guinea pigs. By the time Ford (and Ram, GM) work out the kinks in their equipment they change it. Toyota has the ability to throw gobs of tech into a car (Lexus LFA for example) but for a DD where reliability is the most important factor (car breaking down and losing a day of work really sucks) then they test products over and over until they release it to the public.

RisingSons[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    Quite a few F-150 owner's I know, wouldn't own 'em past 60,000 miles either. That's most of the reason we'll hear 'em tell us how their trucks are no less dependable than our Tundra's. Ya' don't have much trouble with a vehicle, when it gets replaced every few months!:D

15. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I agree that Toyota takes a conservative route for the most part. However, that is not true across the board. They led the way in hybrid technology. But they spent a lot of r&d money on hybrids and pushing that technology further. Every corporation has a budget for development and they all have to answer to shareholders. Toyota knows that they can sell vehicles based on reputation, so they may not be as worried about updating some of their lower volume vehicles as much. And let me explain what I mean about not investing in reliability. I mean that reliability is one of their core values so it is baked into all of their vehicles. The reason they haven’t invested into advancing the Tundra is not because they are putting the money into the Tundra’s reliability. They really don’t have to put money into the reliability, evidenced by the fact that it’s largely been unchanged. Toyota has put their money into advancing hybrid technology and in their high volume vehicles. I don’t blame them because the strategy is solid.

I’ve owned many cars, and one of the worst was a BMW 3 series with horrible electrical issues. It didn’t even have that many bells and whistles. But the electronics were wonky. I believe Tundras are more reliable than F-150s overall. But at some point, they still have to compete on features. Toyota knows this, which is why 2021 is a new generation. And the hybrid technology they put so much money into will work reliably. And Toyota will finally put CarPlay into the Tundra because the royalty fees will be passed onto consumers who have demonstrated that they want that feature.

All in all, I think we agree that as it sits today, the Tundra is behind the F-150 on most things other than reliability and resale. It all comes down to what the individual values. Me, I want the best of both worlds and am willing to wait another year to check out the 2021.

RisingSons[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    hey smell this

hey smell this New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    It’s absurd to think F150s all break down after 60k miles. My 1999 F150 was flawless until I wrecked it at 130k miles. I know the ecoboost sometimes has problems but most people don’t have issues with them. Fords entire company depends on the F150. If it fails, Ford is done. I do think Tundras are generally more reliable and that’s the main reason I bought one, but F150s don’t all have problems.

By every other objective measure, the F150 is superior to Tundra. Ecoboost or 5.0. Although I have heard the new 5.0s are having issues which surprises me.

I do like the reliability, styling, and simple “truckiness” of my 2016 SR5. But tbh if I was in the market I’d lean towards the Ford. My 5.7 has enough power but the ecoboost blows it away. And a new XLT can be had for mid-$30s.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  17. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    hey smell this

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    I don’t know for sure, but it seems that Toyota is content to sell it’s 115k Tundras annually and not try to compete with the big 3. My theory is that after 2007, when the Tundra was far and away the best truck yet still didn’t compete with the big 3’s sales, Toyota decided it wasn’t worth putting so much money into. Build a good truck that won’t diminish Toyota’s reputation, make occasional minor low cost updates, and focus resources on other vehicles that actually will sell in huge numbers.

I really am looking forward to the 2021 model. The ecoboost excites me for it’s power. If I can get Toyota reliability with ecoboost power I’d have a permanent boner.

ColoradoTJ and Boosted4runner like this.
  18. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    I almost think putting a set of twin turbos on a V8 would be much better this thread got me thinking about that. Problems aside the only thing really hurting the Ecoboost is its towing MPGs but if you just turbo up a V8 you might take a small hit in Unloaded but it would solve that. I have to admit it though it wasn't all my idea met up with a couple of buddies I used to work with at a Chrysler dealer. They told me that Ram trucks getting a turbocharged Hemi is actually a lot closer to reality then a lot of people think and that in meetings this has been seriously talked about for 2021 models.

EDIT: What if Toyota is actually put a twin turbo set up on a V8 and a V6 and just making us think its only a V6 and a Hybrid engine for the new gen? Wouldn't that be something.

19. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    I would guess a majority of us drive Tundras because we don’t want to spend time at the dealership for stupid shit.
    The 5.7 is badass. The fucking ring gears/trans/drive terrain are stout as fuck.
    It’s a truck, and built like an old school truck should be. Solid, from the ground up.
    We’re missing some tech, which I personally could give a shit less about.
    I will never trade new tech bullshit in a truck vs a reliable vehicle. I don’t care if I make 40 million a year, my brain just doesn’t function that way. Never has, never will.

Which is why I currently have a fleet of Pro-Stars loaded with Cummins vs Cascadias loaded with Detroit’s. Post-emissions.
    Pre-emissions, tables were turned.

20. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    hey smell this

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    A turbo V8 would be amazing of course. Even a turbo V6 would be great. I’m still not sure why GM went with a turbo 4.

21. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharge a 5.7
    Game over.

22. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:49 PM
    hey smell this

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    I like the 5.7 fine but it’s never blown me away. It’s not noticeably faster than my dad’s 5.3 Silverado and the tow ratings are similar. I get 14.5-14.9 mpg in city which is ok. I’d be excited to see a new engine offering in the 2021.

23. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    hey smell this

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    Would be the best although I’d hate to have to pay premium gas.

Didn’t Toyota used to offer a supercharged Tundra from the factory, with warranty? Am I imagining that?

24. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  25. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:

The 5.7 is noticeably more reliable, especially vs the AFM 5.3.

I don’t pay for gas, so that’s always been a mute point for me. Understandably an arguable point for most.

Winning8 likes this.
  26. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, and it was the fastest production truck ever produced.
    And reliable :)

9D918633-9DA8-4C13-9B04-6DEF682A21C5.jpg

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  27. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

SIMPLYTHETRUTH THE ALBINO RHINO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    S&B Cold Air Intake, Recon light bar, Rough Country light bar, Cali ditch lights, aFe throttle spacer,
    If it coming to pulling towing you need, don't buy a gasser. Get yourself a Cummins diesel. You can tune the hell out of them. You can always customize the space in the truck for your needs. I love my Tundra even though its not a 5.7 and wish I could get my TRD Crew back but I also like to live. My house and family are more important than any vehicle. I never got feed with a gold spoon and work I hard for everything I got. This 4.6L fits and I only run 92 or better and guess what it can get 20mpg that's not at highway travel. I do have under seat storage for my straps and whatever I can fit. Any truck can have problems, I did test drive all the 19's trucks Ford Chevy Dodge Nissan all up-to-date in Technology compared to the tundra. At the end of the day I feel that the tundra will out last them all and at better price. The faith I have in the truck compared to the rest was my first tundra I ever owned. Its like 14-15yrs ago, shit I cant remember. I got that feeling when 1st test drove it. With 19 same feeling. I went with my gut feelings and I'm happy even with 4.6L Take on Tuesday and enjoy it. Baby it for a while, hammer this shit out of it for a while, get a real feel what it stands for, maybe you'll get that gut feeling maybe you will not but if you, do buy it!!!!!! Keep us posted on your decision or thoughts.

28. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    Toyota recommends 87 octane for the new Tundra, I see why you need to work hard because you are giving money away to the rich people

29. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM
    hey smell this

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TSS
    My god why would Toyota discontinue that beautiful monster? Did people not buy them? I would buy one.

30. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    They were purchased, but apparently only a handful of folks could handle the real deal. :D
    Magnuson still supports and sells the units.
    If the 2021 Tundras suck ass, I’m selling my current Tundra rig, picking up a 2019/2020 Tundra, swapping my Kings/suspension setup over and throwing on a Magnuson on the 5.7 so I can enjoy the “good ole days” as long as possible. And as long as I keep my Lexus DD, I’ll do the JBA’s and hopefully end up like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_V96GpeIy8

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top