1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How does Tundra compare to the current F150?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Cabinetman, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Love my truck, when I was looking, to me it was very close in tech and amenities to any other truck in similar trim. The top of the line trims, it was behind, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I though the SR5 was very similar to the XLT or similar in both Ram and GM. High Country, Laramie, KR were all nicer. I keep my trucks about 10-11 years and close to 200,000 miles. After doing a lot of research, Toyota was the only real choice for me. If I was only keeping it 3 years and 60,000 miles, I probably would've seriously looked elsewhere. I don't have a single complaint about my truck and would buy it again in a heart beat. To me the benefits of the Toyotas show up over 100,000 miles. They are still as solid as they were on the day I drove it off the lot. A lot of trucks I've ridden in after 100,000 miles, start getting rattles and just don't feel as solid anymore.

UpSteer32, 15whtrd and SIMPLYTHETRUTH like this.
  2. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    How does Tundra compare to the current F150?
    It doesn't. Can't add to what has already been said but good luck with your search.

Y0TA PR0 and B737 like this.
  3. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    I had a 93 F-150, 01 Tundra, 04 F-250, 05 Tundra, 12 F-150 that I’m still driving. I’m considering going back to the Tundra for 2020. The 93 was a good truck, the 01 did not have enough space with kids, the 04 problematic (diesel), the 05 a good truck, the 12 a great truck. I guess I’m OK with either brand. My 2012 has the 6.2L engine which is bullet proof. My reason for going back to a Tundra is simplicity and I hope it will be a good truck.

4. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    gratefuljed

gratefuljed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    2019 TUNDRA SR5 LB
    Yep I buy em for the long haul. I’m a proud Toyota fanboy, first tundra. I like and ride horses too..! Love this truck, can’t wait to see it in 400k!

I don’t know if they do the tundra in diesel, but the little 4 door 4x4 diesel taco they sell in Mexico for about 22k has me really interested

I understand some of yall’s frustration with the tundra vs...but to me it’s just a ride. I don’t put my gooseneck on it fer sure, I bought the 8’ bed in white..middle aged mans truck !

Don’t you guys be hating on tundras! This is a tundra forum!!

15whtrd and SIMPLYTHETRUTH like this.
  5. Aug 23, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    Therin7

Therin7 New Member

Member:
    West Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Platinum
    If you can afford NEW, buy whatever, because most people who buy new have disposable income and can afford to trade in after 2 or 3 years. I have been truck shopping for YEARS off and on. A 2016 GMC Z71 SLT sucked me in with flashy technology, quite ride, and fantastic gas mileage (24mpg+ on long trips)....it also turned into a pumpkin after 2 years and 48000 miles. What I have noticed is that, right now the market knows the Tundra is ancient and you can get a fully loaded 2-3 year old Platinum Tundra for about 3k less than a comparable GM or 6k less than a comparable Ford (same age and mileage). In another ten years or so the same Tundra will have reclaimed its higher resale value. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton....in ten years or so :)

15whtrd likes this.
  6. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Why is comparing the top of the line engine options from Toyota against top of the line engine options from GM and Ford unfair? If I wanted a maxed out a truck, I'm going to look at maxed out trucks and compare maxed out trucks.

B737 likes this.
  7. Aug 23, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Ah, but I'm not a hater. I love my truck and when I bought it, I knew what I was getting. This dude doesn't know that, he's still shopping. Let's be analytical and compare the Tundra to the current market offering. Is it a good truck? ABSOLUTELY. Is it for everyone? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The offerings from the big 3 do encompass all potential buyers. From the burly tradesman wanting the most stripped down workhorse to the C-level dad living in Pacific Palisades who wants to keep up with the rest of his neighbors, the big 3 have something for all of them. Toyota gives you the 1794, which would have been great competition for the trucks about 6 years ago but, let's face it, has been left behind.

Now, if you're looking for something that's bare bones without being annoying, has a storied off-road pedigree and, ages very well (first gen is STILL sexy af), then look no further.

As for not wanting the "gizmos and doodads", I get you, but you're in a minority (of the market as a whole). Also, there's threads all over about people wanting to add or adding features that they want that Toyota doesn't offer. Hell, there is a thread today about a dude that bought a $40 aftermarket seat ventilator that drapes onto the seat and hangs from the headrest because he couldn't get ventilated seats with the TRD PRO. That's a price north of $50k. A Kia Forte EX has ventilated seats. It's not even $22k.

The tundra is a good, even great, truck but there's just things missing that would make it blend in to the crowd and stay on peoples' short list. As of now, it's not blending. It's way behind, but filling a small niche.

8. Aug 23, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

SIMPLYTHETRUTH THE ALBINO RHINO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    S&B Cold Air Intake, Recon light bar, Rough Country light bar, Cali ditch lights, aFe throttle spacer,
    Toyota came along way by the way anyone remember the t100's all you seen was metal doors with plastic trim. I've owned a few dodges, Chevy's. In 2004 I bought a new ram slt. in 400 mile broke down, bad ignition, at 1000k broke down, bad motherboard. Guess what to that truck, bye bye. In 2015 bought an new Chevy z71 will all the bells and whistles had it 6months and trade it out for my 2015 TRD Crew. because it to bouncy and bad drive. You seen the new Chevys now, the fell flat on there faces with that new design. especially the interior. now ford has the money but also had a big help non needed bailout and President Bush helped, that's were the technology in the fords come from a package deal from the gov. and cant build a trans for there diesel truck. But to each there own I say, Haters gonna hate. Buy what your guts telling you to. Go back and test drive that TUNDRA, and when you do drive by a ford dealer and see how many f150's they have in the lot, I bet 100's and all 50k plus. If your looking for power and tow by a diesel prefer Cummins. If your looking for rich feel and you think 10-15k is ideal go with the ford. If you want to save that 10-15k go with the TUNDRA and use the extra 10-15K for mods and it will definitely look better than that Ford!!! If you like the tundra look at the sport package in cavalry blue or cement nice appearance price compared to platinum package. Like I said, just my 2 cents. Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    RisingSons likes this.
  9. Aug 23, 2019 at 11:39 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I feel ya. Most of the things I want in a truck are not offered in most trucks individually. All the typical features that other makes offer, are REALLY cool! Don’t get me wrong. But I also find the beauty in keeping it simple. I’ve been in older fully loaded vehicles and was disappointed in all the failed switches and options. Made the whole car feel like a POS. Then check out the same car but more base, and most of it’s components still work. If they don’t, it didn’t seem like a overwhelming task to fix the few things are wrong. I’m sure if I had more disposable income, I’d probably think differently. Build it the way I want and just throw money at it if something goes wrong.

I like functional do-dads lol. Like reliable on board air, off-road lighting, secondary power source, real underbody protection, lockers and switches to control it all etc etc. I can’t even afford that shit hahaha!

I definitely don’t hate technology in the new vehicles. It’s just something I don’t necessarily need and really doesn’t fit the type of guy I am. The high price tag alone just makes me personally feel I went over the top. I'm a blue collar guy who lives in a simple house. I like to spend my extra money on family time. I can’t justify a 60K+ truck that still isn’t loaded with the things I want. I’d still be wanting 10-20k in upgrades... or more.. (long travel).

If I had the money I’d probably have 20 cars and trucks. All with a different purpose. Old hotrod cars and trucks, luxury blah blah blah.

10. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:12 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    This is my frame of mind as well. Toyota reliability and resale value are just icing on the cake.

15whtrd and Kerch71[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    Punkinhead

Punkinhead New Member

Member:
    If it's a daily driver that you're only going to keep a few years then it's a no brainer - get the Ford or Chevy. Much nicer interior and amenities. Toyota's focus is on core reliability. They're slow to adopt "frivilous" driver comforts and put their effort into the core reliability of the drive train. That's why I bought the Tundra - because for me it's purely a towing/hauling vehicle that will only be used about 5,000 miles per year and I'll keep 10-15 years. I wanted long term reliability at the expense of creature comforts. But the OP has the polar opposite use. Even if you triple how long you keep a vehicle to 3 years then reliability still doesn't matter as much as comfort. In a daily driver that will be gone before the warranty runs out I'd choose heated/cooled seats, a nice entertainment system, a usable remote start, automatic climate controls, etc. My wife had a top of the line 2016 Highlander with all the bells end whistles and Toyota just doesn't do these things as well as Ford & Chevy. The "cooled" seats didn't really cool, the automatic climate control didn't do a good job maintaining a constant temp, and Entune is a disaster. I expect if we'd have kept it the drivetrain would have gone forever like the 4Runner she had before it, but Toyota just doesn't do luxury well.

12. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:18 AM
    Devildog183

Devildog183 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM 4x4 2007 SR5 DC 4x4
    We all have had different experiences with trucks. I used to be a die hard ford guy until my last one. It was a f-350 four door long bed diesel. In the first 5 years I spent over 15k in repairs, it was a cool truck but a piece of crap. I got rid of it and bought my first Tundra in 07, I still have and use it, it gets worked hard as I’m a builder and it’s seen it’s share of abuse. Wednesday it rolled over 375000 miles and pulls my bobcat or construction trailers with no problem. I just picked up a new 2019, I’m not hoping I expect I’ll get the same trouble free experience. I’m not sure about all the this truck is more comfortable then the next, guess I’m old I like my truck to ride and sound like a truck not a luxury car. Just my 2 cents good luck

tttrdpro and Viking like this.
  13. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    RisingSons

RisingSons New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro

I agree. My grandfather was a regional sales manager for Ford tractor division. I grew up thinking there was no truck worth driving other than a Ford with him owning a new F-100, then 150 or 250 every other year. I really like Ford and agree they are amazing trucks with more (and better) features than the Tundra.

Yet, the loaded Platinum Ford F-150 is $59k (if you qualify for all the discounts to the $69k sticker) and a loaded King Ranch (a beautiful, capable, comfortable truck) costs even more. A loaded 2019 Platinum or 1794 Tundra can be bought for $44-46k. The 2020’s, which add the larger display screen, push-button start, and Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, are around $50k (with some dealer discount off MSRP).

For me, the Ford (or the Dodge Ram) is not worth the extra $15k. However, a fair comparison for the loaded Toyotas is the Ford F-150 XLT. If the XLT suites you better than a Tundra Platinum or 1794, I’d buy it. Yet, Toyota doesn’t have a competitor for the Ford Platinum or King Ranch F-150. And I’m not sure they care to. If there was a Lexus branded Tundra, then I’m guessing they would. And if they did, like with the Lexus LX570 / Toyota Land Cruiser, it would be an amazing, reliable rig.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  14. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    paulphilly

paulphilly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '24 TRD Pro
    I look at a vehicle as a means of transportation which gets me from point A to point B. Further, my MAIN concern is what will get me there safely and reliably. I don't live in my truck, I don't sleep in my truck, I don't invite friends and family over and we all hang out in my truck. To me it's a tool and while my Tundra doesn't have some of the ridiculously high priced and unnecessary amenities of the other big 3, nor does it's interior look as nice, I will happily accept it's utilitarian personality. After all, the satisfaction of owning a Toyota and the reliability that comes with it is way more important to me than amenities or subjective truck appearance. Honestly, when was the last time someone came up to you at a stop light and wrote you a check for your next payment because of how your truck is equipped or looks? Drive what your heart and wallet desires of course, but for me I drive a truck with proven reliability and a simple utilitarian pedigree. Oh, I drive a '19 Platinum because I got $9k off the sticker. For $44k, I will take my truck over anything the market has to offer. Regardless, be happy...life is short! Happy Saturday everyone.

SIMPLYTHETRUTH, UpSteer32 and B737 like this.
  15. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa New Member

Member:
    There are many variables associated with your decision that contribute to the variety of responses above. Your situation appears different than mine because, if I was reading the correct post, you were looking at a lease. Your TCO is pretty much known with a potential variable of gas usage between the different manufacturers/engine options.

It all comes down to...drive what makes you happy, and more importantly drive what you can afford.

16. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    Punkinhead

Punkinhead New Member

Member:
    That's fine for people like you or me, but may not be the OP's situation. For example, my neighbor owns a business with warehouses in several surrounding state. He drives a LOT so he practically does live in his vehicle. He leases a new huge, top of the line SUV with all the bells and whistles every couple years because he wants the comforts. It doesn't fit your situation or mine, but I understand why he does it.

ColoradoTJ and 15whtrd like this.
  17. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    At this point, I would just wait for the 2021 Tundra to come out. It has been officially announced, a new gen Tundra for '21. With the numbers I see, this might actually have my GM lovin ass looking at another Tundra. Now if I do buy an enclosed gooseneck 27-32' trailer...not happening.

The 2020 Tundra has no significant upgrades, so if the OP doesn't like it, he should wait or purchase something else. The 30 mpg, twin turbo V6/Hybrid drivetrain, and 18K tow capacity (Toyota better add some capacity or this number is shit) would really have me in a bind right now if looking at a new 1/2 ton truck.

Things that would make me go back (lets pretend I don't tow as much):

-Power folding tow mirrors...and maybe power extending.
    -Fuel economy. This matters to everyone, and the people that say it doesn't...I'll send you my PO Box to send a monthly payment of 5.00 for no other reason than to give me money. 1/2 tons should be in the 20's for fuel economy consistently by now. This mornings 39 mile commute, mostly highway, 25/50 mile averages on a 7800 lb truck.

DB50E61A-0042-40F1-8FEB-B09D04CF899C.jpg 7D68A13D-CB88-438F-8853-BD4F1AECCEAB.jpg
    -Better have android auto/Apple play. Unless you're 65+ years old and wonder where you misplaced the 8 track tapes (probably shouldn't be driving then), this system is great. Any moron can use it easily. Trust me...I use it.
    -A 6' bed with the CM or make the DC a little bigger with the 6' bed. I used to defend the 5.5' CM beds and state "that's what I have a trailer for"...but I forgot what a 6.6' bed was like. Inches matter.

PermaFrostTRD, 15whtrd and B737 like this.
  18. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    Cabinetman

Cabinetman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Again, I appreciate all the responses. I definitely don't live in my vehicle, but I do drive at least 20k miles per year. I rarely drive my vehicle on the weekends so these miles are primarily during the work week. Also, I'm not in a position to wait for the 2021. I'm handing over the keys to my 4Runner to a new employee on September 30th. I could drive one of our flatbed diesels for a little while, but that would get old very fast.

As I have been learning more about the 2020 Tundra I honestly don't feel like it is lacking a lot in the tech department. I do wish it had a good factory remote start, the entry keypad like the Ford, better bed and interior lighting and radar cruise that can be used in stop and go traffic. However, I can fix some of those things with aftermarket solutions. The biggest hangup I have right now is the lack of good storage in the cab. I keep a fair amount of stuff in my vehicles like tow straps, rain gear, tools, tie downs, etc... The Ford has a nice little bin at the back of the rear seat that holds most of my gear. The things that don't fit can go in a soft toolbox that slides under the rear seat. It looks like the Tundra has no under seat storage unless you go aftermarket and cut some cubbies into the raised floor.

I will take a Tundra out for an hour or so on Tuesday while my 4Runner is getting serviced. I will be alone and should have time to get a better feel for the truck. I will also take some time to look at the storage areas available to see if there are other ways to cleanly store my gear in an organized fashion. I don't really want a bed mounted tool box, bed drawers or a bed cover.

15whtrd, RisingSons and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    and speaking of proper storage, the F150 has a completely flat floor, which means; pets, tool boxes, and gear slide right in and stay on a flat floor, unlike tundra.

20. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    fundratss

fundratss Send it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey Tundra TSS
    Toytec 2.5” Coilover boss suspension 3/1 lift w/camburg uca’s Morimoto xb headlights Morimoto fog Rough country grill 2 RC blacked light bars Volant air intake system Rear air bags (for towing) I’m sure there’s more but I’m lazy
    Ford F-150 is the smoothest and quietest truck around. I’ve been a ford tech for 10 years and I won’t buy an f150. I bought a tundra. Tundra isn’t as quiet but it’s marginal. Bed bounce on the f150 isn’t as noticeable on concrete highways. F150’s reliability sucks. Hands down it sucks. Gauges go out on we’ll devices trucks with 80k on them and it’s $1500 plus labor. Their teds (thermal element device ie heated seats) go out all the time. They can find a solution for it. If you’re a big guy then it burns up faster. I’ve put an engine in an f150 with 580 miles on it from dropping a cylinder. The ecoturd has timing chain streatch and noise on it. Aluminum body makes it totaled with small hail. Their transmission problems haven’t gone away.

F150 has better creature comforts.
    Tundra has reliability

Road trip wise f150 when it says 20 miles to empty. It legit means 20 miles until empty
    Tundra has an 8 gallon reserve for when it says 0 miles until empty ya have 8 gallons of fuel left. I’ve gone over 600 miles on one tank of gas on my tundra.

Tundra has smaller turning radius than an f150

Tundra is made in San Antonio tx.
    F150 check the vin and make sure it starts with a 1 to get a USA truck.

Tundra has 13 cup holders
    F150 has 10-12 (the last one I checked) depends on build.

Resale value tundra hands down beats an f150

Don’t get a white f150 it’s more common than a lambo in Dubai.

Almost all the parts on an f150 are made in Mexico. Not sure on tundra because again I am a ford tech.

21. Aug 24, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    To be quite honest, I think it is Toyota's lack of cutting edge tech and benchmark setting that makes it so appealing to certain buyers.

Some people want a basic truck that can perform its duties and be reliable/durable over the long run. So will a Tundra tow 9k up a hill as fast a 3.5l ecoboost F-150? Perhaps not, but it still will tow that load and handle that kind of abuse very well over the long term...for some people, that's enough. Don't forget that while F-150's and Silverado's and even Ram 1500's battle each other each year for bragging rights on towing capacities and 0-60 times, they have each had their fair share of teething issues. Toyota doesn't build the Tundra to be the "best" at anything, but rather be a dependable, long-lived workhorse. Toyota gives a stock Tundra to a ranching operation for 100k hard miles or has it tow a space shuttle and does tear-down inspections of million mile Tundra's...that should be enough of an indicator of the amount of confidence Toyota has in the design. You hardly ever see the big 3 OEM's do that, at least with their 1/2 ton trucks.

I'd also point out that the current generation of Tundra has in fact changed in meaningful ways over the years: 38 gallon tank; adjustable headlights (which most other 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons still don't have); integrated trailer brake controller; upgraded tow package. As well, despite being the 'oldest' 1/2 ton on the market, the Tundra still has the biggest ring gear and biggest front brakes in the segment. So perhaps a F-150 is "rated" to tow more, but its doing that extra work with less robust components.

If you want the latest and greatest and plan to trade within a few years, get whatever suits your fancy. If you want a 1/2 ton that will hold up well for the next +150k miles, get the Tundra...hands down the best option out there for that kind of ownership.

Edit: that's not to say the Tundra is perfect...it certainly has some quirks and issues, but by and large they are issues that won't impede the truck's long term reliability and functionality.

tttrdpro, 15whtrd and RisingSons like this.
  22. Aug 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    I'll also note: most people who complain about how the Tundra hasn't changed seem to have a very superficial appreciation for trucks.

This person will criticize the Tundra for lacking modern tech features and navigation/entertainment suites, but they fail to recognize that Toyota has added subtle, behind-the-scenes improvements to the truck over the years (larger fuel tank, adjustable headlights, trailer brake controller, tow package). They also fail to understand that the Tundra, despite its age, is using somewhat beefier chassis components, lower gearing and a more refined DOHC v8 engine compared to what most other 1/2 tons have (GM and FCA are still using pushrod V8's in their trucks, and Ford is about to introduce one for its 3/4 ton lineup). These are the type of improvements and attributes that matter to a real truck person who uses their truck for real-world applications (towing, hauling, work). For someone who simply wants to look cool while cruising down main street, these improvements and attributes might not matter a whole lot. There is a huge cultural spectrum within the truck community: on one end you have the person who has a legitimate reason for owning a truck and on the other end you have what I like to call the "truck bro" (someone who wants to own and DD a truck but has no real need for one).

I find that people who trend towards the former end of the spectrum tend to be the types who will more readily appreciate the attributes of a Tundra.

Fireace, Boosted4runner and 15whtrd like this.
  23. Aug 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    Most gasoline 1/2 tons only get 2-3mpg better than the Tundra's in combined mpg's. Instantaneous dashboard readout's don't really mean a whole lot...fuelly results show the true difference between the Tundra's mpg and the competitors'. For sure, the Tundra is lagging behind the competition in terms of fuel efficiency, but it's also over-geared and using a more basic transmission compared to the competition. And there is a tradeoff for that extra efficiency: quite a few people complain about how the F-150's 10 speed handles towing duties, while a lot of people praise the Tundra's transmission for its towing characteristics.

Devcom and 15whtrd like this.
  24. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    Toyotajunkie

Toyotajunkie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD
    Trying to make a 3" Eibach front work
    This might have been said already but, a Toyota will never compare to a Ford... it's like comparing gold to piss water! I don't have much against Ford, but come on... (hands up) it's a Toyota!!!

(To each their own though)

Boosted4runner likes this.
  25. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    My truck calculates fuel economy within .5 mpg from hand calculations. This past weekend I was towing 9K in the mountains for over 300 miles and the truck said 13.8 and I hand calculated 13.7. I'm good with that.

You do realize 2-3 mpg is pretty substantial costs right? In my area, that's 578.00 per year in fuel costs alone on a 15,000 annual mileage. To be honest, "some" trucks get more than 3 mpg better. Fuelly is ok. How do you know the conditions, empty, towing, city, highway, margin of error when filling out the information (I screwed this up plenty, and why I no longer use the app). You don't, period. My fuelly shows a overall 14.8 mpg for the past 36K miles, most of what were towing or work. Now if someone on Fuelly sees this, should they be concerned? No, you buy 1 ton diesels to pull and work. So 11-14 mpg while working is good for me...but empty it can get some darn good economy.

26. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    but if you drive empty, you don't really need a truck...:rofl:

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The Tundra does not use lower gearing. The Tundra does in fact use a lower gear ratio, but uses higher gears in the transmission (the whole reason for the 4.30 gears in the axle). Final drive ratio is where the performance is, and hate to tell you, Toyota is not the lowest.

Push rod engines are far more reliable than overhead cam engines...and less moving parts.

What beefier chassis components? Tundra does not have the beefiest rear axle, brakes, or frame.
    Well, there is a large number of people in that category, that's for sure. So let's do the math on that. If towing...that would be a difference of 1925.00 per year at 8 mpg.

Winning8[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Devcom

Devcom Miles per Gallon? More like Smiles per Gallon!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L 4x4
    I personally do not mind the MPG of my Tundra but keep in mind I am comparing it to a truck I had that was a 13 model from Ram and my truck at the most gets driven 7-8k a year unless taken on road trips. Now with towing I do not own a camper nor have towed one. I mostly tow a flatbed and an enclosed trailer and I will say that my Tundra handles the load way better then the Ram and a couple times I towed heavier than I ever did with the Ram. (But not over 8k pounds) The Tundra gets 10-11 towing constantly for me where the Ram got 9. Yes hand calculated not computer readings. I find myself caring more for Towing MPG with good power and handling and so far for a Gas truck the Tundra is the best I have had for towing in all those categories. Unloaded as mentioned not a big concern since it gets around the same as my 13 Ram Hemi did and my wife and I have a 16 Civic coupe that averages 33-40mpg on average depending on Rush hour traffic and what not hand calculated if we get concerned about fuel mileage.

EDIT: Since this is comparing a Tundra to the Ford I did borrow a friends 3.5 Ecoboost it was an 17 or 18 Model (this is before I bought my Tundra and after I sold my Ram) and it did alright no real complaints but I only achieved 7 mpgs towing. He had an XLT Fx4 I think was the trim and it had some decent creature comforts that my TUndra does not have but I don't find myself really missing them although I do admit having apple carplay would be nice.

15whtrd and ColoradoTJ like this.
  29. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Funny, one of our other members purchased a Honda Civic today for DD duties.

This is exactly why I recommend the Tundra over anything else right now. Pretty good fuel economy numbers while towing, no cylinder shutdown, and overall a damn good Truck. I have high expectations for the 2021 model, and expect it will not disappoint. What happened in 2007 will happen again in 2021.

The 3.5 EB will flat out kill you at the pump if towing duties is the main focus.

15whtrd, Devcom[QUOTED] and Wrongside like this.
  30. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Toyota has not invested in the Tundra in the recent past like the big three for one reason only...Money is a finite resource. Toyota has chosen to invest in their other offerings that sell in greater volumes and gives them a better Return On Investment.

Ford obviously invests in the F-150 because it is their strategy to higher ROI. They have ceded the car market to Toyota, that’s why they won’t be building sedans anymore.

Each company has finite resources to spend and have adopted different strategies.

Toyota has not “chosen to invest in reliability” as someone has inferred. Reliability is part of their corporate culture and they strive to be best in this category with all their vehicles. Toyota has chosen to spend their money elsewhere. With the new redesign, they are finally investing some money into the Tundra, which is a great thing.

And for everyone that bemoans technology and advancement, I don’t see anyone complaining about fuel injection, ABS, crash structure design, Homelink, Bluetooth, etc. There are so many things in our vehicles today that make our lives so much better than cars from the decades past. And Toyota has proven that they can make vehicles that are both advanced and reliable. They just have not invested into advancing the Tundra in a while now.

I’m waiting for this time next year to buy a new truck because I want to test the new redesign against the competition. But as of right now, the current Tundra is definitely behind.

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top