1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Horse Trailer Hauling Advice

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by KPH and Mo, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    KPH and Mo

KPH and Mo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 4x2
    none
    I am new to horse hauling and have a 2023 Tundra 4x2. My trainer is concerned that the truck will not be able to safely pull a warmblood size trailer with my 1200 lb horse. Some people have suggested that I overhaul the suspension for safety and comfort for my horse. Any advice on what is recommended? Also have been told not to get a gooseneck since the bed on the truck is too short?

2. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    If it's a goosneck you likely need a bigger truck. The pin weights on those are generally going to be too high to stay within your payload ratings of the truck. What does the trailer weigh? What's the pin weight?

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  3. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:09 AM
    KPH and Mo

KPH and Mo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 4x2
    none
    I have not purchased a trailer yet. I am trying to determine what to buy and if I need to modify the suspension. Still trying to determine if I need to avoid gooseneck and only look at bumper pull trailers.

Is there an optimal pin weight (or a # to not go over)?

4. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:18 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Open your driver door and look at the sticker there. It will say something along the lines of "cargo and passengers should not exceed XXX lbs" somewhere on it. That weight is your payload. That means you, your hitch, and any and all items put in the truck, plus the pin/hitch weight should not exceed that weight.

The ideal number will vary by each individual truck. That number listed on the trailer will also usually be optimistic. They generally run heavier than advertised.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  5. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    kilocharlie106

kilocharlie106 mmmm Bourbon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    The weight of horse trailers vary greatly. My parents have one that weighs 5,000 empty and has a lot of tongue weight, another light weight trailer a friend pulls with a Tacoma.

6. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    This. I see a few tundras pulling horse trailers around town, no problem. I also see horse trailers big enough that 1 ton duallies struggle with them. Most guys I talk to say that a 3 horse slant is usually no problem for a tundra. I’ve seen bigger trailers on tundras, but the trailer itself get s pretty heavy as noted.

If you are concerned about suspension, air bags, IMO, would be a great addition. It would allow you to air up when pulling and air down when not. I’ve used bags on my truck for several years with great success. I installed them for pulling trailers (I pull something weekly) and enjoy the ability to vary they air spring in response to the load. It makes for a very comfortable and controlled towing experience.

Depending on how often you tow, you might want to look in to e rated tires, as well. The stock tires will manage the weight safely, but an e rated tire has a stiffer carcass which can help with towing stability. They are also heavier so you may lose some fuel efficiency and a little ride comfort. If you tow occasionally and drive around empty the rest of the time, you might notice a decrease in ride comfort. My truck is loaded with gear and I tow often, so I prefer the heavy duty tire option. It’s not a ‘must do’ item, but IMO improves the overall towing experience.

KPH and Mo[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 22, 2024 at 10:17 AM
    Henfield

Henfield New Member

Member:
    There is a massive variation in trailers.

Lets assume you plan on one to two horses. A horse trailer is a mobile stable, tack room and feed carrier. So weigh all your needs. Most two horse trailers have a GVWR of 7000. That's an easy bumper pull for you. But you have to accommodate the weight transfer to the truck of 700lbs plus WDH as these will consume a good portion of your payload. Pretty soon you are down to two max three people and their stuff in the truck.

More than Two horses or even go two horse and living space says you have to go gooseneck, which will trigger a new truck. If that is your situation, 3500, factory gooseneck set up, 8ft bed recommended, six footer possible with care. I'm increasingly favoring gas power over diesel especially if the towing days are few and far between.

Products Discussed in

To Top