1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood Scratch: Fix it myself or take to body shop?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by huskytamer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Mar 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    huskytamer

huskytamer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    none
    Hey folks,
    Last week I traded in my 2014 Tundra with 128,000 miles and walked out with a beautiful 2017 Tundra Limited. Not a scratch on it and only 23,000 miles. Grocery store parking lot day 5 of driving it and I come out to find a two inch scratch on my hood. So this obviously pisses me off especially since the truck has a beautiful metallic red paint job. Anybody on the forum try scratch repair on their own? If so, any recommendations would be appreciated. I am handy and do a lot of my own work on my vehicles but never attempted paint repair. I am on the fence whether I want to attempt repairing this myself or just letting a professional take care of it.

2. Mar 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    I have repaired white scratches with touch-up paint before and it was almost invisible. That gave me confidence to attempt silver on my Tacoma and a dark metallic gray on my wife's Honda van, and I can tell you that it was not even close to the same thing - even with the correct paint code. Metallic is just not easy to touch up. I would say take it somewhere to get painted by someone who knows what they are doing. We have a mobile guy here who comes to your home or work place and will do awesome work - he fixed some rock chips on my wife's car the other day and I could not even tell where they were.

NUDRAT likes this.
  3. Mar 22, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Post a picture of the scratch so we can see how bad it is

TheBeast and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  4. Mar 22, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    huskytamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    none
    Here is a photo. Very thin scratch about two inches long. Mostly clear coat but at the end penetrated down to the primer.[​IMG]

5. Mar 22, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    huskytamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    none
  6. Mar 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Do you have any polishing compounds? If so, I would wash, clay, compound, and polish that scratch with a DA polisher to start and see how it looks when finished. Most of that will probably come out or lighten significantly. Then whatever doesn't come out decide if you want to get a touch up pen or paint.

7. Mar 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    huskytamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    none
    I do have a DA polisher, just need new pads for it. I have turtle wax compound too. I'm just fearful that because the scratch is on the hood if I cut too much clear coat off the hood will discolor with time from the sun (no garage). What do you think? I know it's a fine line between cutting enough and too much clear, especially with metallic finishes on vehicles.

8. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    I would try touch up paint , just shake the crap out of it to try and get the metallic through the paint . If it really doesn’t look good after that then take to someone else .

9. Mar 23, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    Buildn

Buildn 2022 Tundra Limited CM 6.5 Bed TRD Off Road

Member:
    Medina, Ohio
    TRD Air Filters, Front door windows tinted to match the rears. Wheel locks, Talons Garage cat shield, Tyger Automotive soft tonneau cover, WeatherTech floor mats with Tuff Skinz Custom Emblem kit, Toyota OEM Emblem Black Out kit. AVS vent covers on all four doors, Red Tundra letters on front bumper & TRD highlighted in Red on front grille. Tailgate Tundra Letters in Black.
    I’ve been detailing cars since high school and if it wasn’t on the hood I’d probably try some techniques if it were on the side or roof but since it’s to the primer I’d take it to a local body shop that you trust.

They can touch up with manufacture paint and buff out with the assurance if they mess up they will have the means and methods to repaint.

That’s my opinion, anyway good luck in whatever you decide

Boerseun and Trooper2 like this.
  10. Mar 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    huskytamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    none
    Yeah that's how I'm feeling about it. Of course whatever tool damaged my truck had to scratch the f'ing hood.

11. Mar 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    I would try myself first and see how much it comes out and then proceed from there. Good luck

12. Mar 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    If you pull your fingernail across it does it catch your nail? If so then you'll need some kind of paint repair or possibly a wet sanding.

You would really really have to try hard to burn thru the clear with a DA. I would try that first too, even wet sanding correctly doesn't go thru.

13. Mar 23, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    Keep the cats off your truck. ;)
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in