1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hertz 6.5 Comp System upgrade tips

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bigolbaddy, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Mar 31, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    Bigolbaddy

Bigolbaddy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    I got some fantastic sounding Hertz CPK 165s from @tech12volts and just installed them over the last few days in my spare time. Here are my lessons learned, things I wish I knew before starting this process:

1. The Hertz tweeters will not fit the factory harness without serious modifications. James was very helpful here. I followed his direction on the back doors and completely removed the bracket, cut it off with a sharp utility blade then smoothed it out with my dremel (60 grit sandpaper). The goal here was to get the tweeter as close to the mesh grill as possible. Again, following James' instruction I wrapped the tweeter with some sound deadner (Kilmat is what I had), so keep it in place and and eliminate the open air around the dome of the hertz tweeter.

For the front tweeters, the mod is to cut off the front of the bracket. Used just the dremel this time. I am not sure if this is what James was suggesting: I was in cognitive overload getting directions from him so I didn't quite understand his directions on the front bracket. Anyway, removing the front stop from the bracket allows the tweeter to slide in from the front. The fitment is very good in that the tweeter make the bracket solid (you lose it when the ring is removed), but the dome of the tweeter doesn't allow for the back screw to sit flush on the sail. Just get a longer screw and it will tighten down fine, but with a gap.

Before I installed, I wrapped the front tweeters in sound deadner as well.

2. It is very frustrating to get everything lined up, door panel back on only to have the little white clip, which stayed in the door and not on the sail panel, to pop into the door and drop to the very bottom of the door's insides.

Took it happening two times to me before I figured out that these clips need to be pulled from the door and put onto the sail panel before pulling the sail panel back on the door.

Rbohno likes this.
  2. Apr 25, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors

Thanks for the awesome tips those are the same speakers James is sending me what else do you have and how do you like the sound?

3. Apr 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    Bigolbaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    I replace the sub with a Rockville $40 8”. Same enclosure. So much better. I have a Kappa 5 running the door components and the sub and a 2 channel JBL amp running the dash speakers. Running 2 amps made huge improvement to overall sound. I have a write up here:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/this-might-be-overkill-but.65207/

Rbohno likes this.
  4. Apr 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors
  5. Apr 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD crewmax
    If you don’t mind could you tell me where you mounted the crossovers? I am looking at a system from tech12volts but wasn’t sure where they mount.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  6. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    Bigolbaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    on the front doors, it would be easiest to describe as in the space right below the window controller panel. I have a 2020 1794 if that makes a difference.
    The back doors are trickier. The top opening in the door, bottom right corner: up the top left corner of the crossover at the bottom right corner. I made a lot of mistakes on my drivers side rear door, first door I worked on. The fit is somewhat tight and that was the best spot I found.

7. Apr 26, 2020 at 6:57 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    No crossover to mount on the hertz system.

8. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
  9. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD crewmax
    There are no crossover on the Hertz components? I know very little about these. The system I am looking at is the JBL system but the ad says free hertz component upgrade so I would have to clarify which speakers I would actually get.
    https://shop.tech12volts.com/product.sc?productId=529

10. Apr 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
  11. Apr 26, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    Bigolbaddy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    Rbohno[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 26, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Gotcha. You are correct on that.

13. Apr 26, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    There is. Some have inline resistor and some have the lil box I’ve recently been shown. Mine do not have xover to the mid I set the xover in the amp or Dsr1

Products Discussed in

To Top