1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Here's Why You Never, Ever Use A Trailer Hitch To Pull A Stuck

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Sean266, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Apr 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 [OP] #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    matluth, ColoradoTJ and Bob like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    BigBlue15

BigBlue15 New Member

Member:
    watch your lips!

3. Apr 7, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I'm a boob guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    That will leave a mark.

4. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    That bumper must have been held on with a couple rusted 10mm bolts..... u hook to a trailer hitch mounted to the frame of a truck, it aint gonna move. Gotta be smarter than the tools your working with

RowdyRon, Sean266 and MotoTundra like this.
  5. Apr 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Climate heretic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    Fox 2.0 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    Perhaps the article should be re-titled why not to use a trailer ball.

6. Apr 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM
    Jack Burton

Jack Burton Jorts Rule!

Member:
    Little China
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 5.7L TRD/OR
    Tires, Diamondback HD Tonneau w/ ATV Carrier
    When I was a teenager a bunch of us were out playing in the mud one night. I was riding with a buddy of mine in his old 60's Chev. At one point we got stuck, and his brother came over to pull us out. This being back before tow straps were common, his brother had a 20' tow chain for the job. He had also just that day installed two new tow hooks on either side of the trailer ball on his bumper (also back when bumpers were made of something).

Once everything was hooked up, I jumped in the bed of the brother's truck to act as lookout. The brother being shitfaced at the time (common occurence), started towing him out just fine, but then began slowing down for no reason. My buddy's truck kept coming as stopping that quick in slick mud wasn't easy. I hollered at the brother so his drunken response was to hammer the throttle. Bad idea--of course.

Seeing as he hadn't even had sense enough to use high-grade bolts to mount his new tow hooks, they sheared the moment that chain came taut. The chain (still attached to the hook) wrapped up over my buddy's hood and planted the tow hook through the middle of his windshield. Fortunately no one got hurt although my buddy was out one windshield and had the inside of his cab covered with fine glass shards. And the asshole brother blamed me for the whole thing for trying to keep them from making contact, rather than accepting responsibility for his own drunken stupidity--of course.

Law323 and matluth like this.
  7. Apr 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Lucky nobody got hurt! Shit faced is as shit faced does!

Law323 likes this.
  8. Oct 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    in watching the video, I couldn't see much of anything going on, just a spinning tire.

9. Oct 6, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    That brings back so many memories of my own adventures as a teenager and college years! Mudriding plus alcohol is ALWAYS a fun idea NEVER a good one.

zcarpenter92 and RowdyRon like this.
  10. Oct 6, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    A sad fact most of us men know!! I still have a stiletto shaped scar on my head and a perma ban from this bar/city courtesy of my bachelor party......

RowdyRon likes this.
  11. Oct 6, 2016 at 2:59 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Sounds like a good story, Law! May need you to write up that mod!

Law323 likes this.
  12. Oct 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Sad thing is I don't remember most of it. Had to get the 311 from my buddies LOL
    Scary waking up after a drunken blackout with blood all over your hands, pillow, and head and a nice hangover to boot. :anonymous:

RowdyRon likes this.
  13. Oct 6, 2016 at 3:05 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    oddly enough, that was around the time "The Hangover" came out! I was half expecting a naked Chinese guy to jump out the bathroom screaming "but did you die????"

FirstGenTundra and RowdyRon like this.
  14. Oct 6, 2016 at 3:07 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    That's some funny stuff right there!

Law323 likes this.
  15. Oct 6, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Sure as shit wasn't funny at the time!! LOL

RowdyRon likes this.
  16. Oct 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast Mr Line-X

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 CM 4x4 TRD
To Top