1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP. Steering wheel feels "loose"

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Pucks18, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Mar 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    Pucks18

Pucks18 [OP] Fleabit peanut monkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 4x4 Limited trd
    Sorry for all the posts!This happens mainly going over railroad tracks, or when going on very rough gravel roads, or offloading on grass at low speeds. I can feel and almost hear a looseness/vibration in my steering wheel. It feels like it might be coming from the steering colum or around there. When both hands are on the wheel the i can just feel this super weird vibration/clunk and its very annoying. It drives perfectly fine besides this annoying "problem". I'm thinking its a bushing since the truck is nearly 20 years old. And its a hard to describe problem. The whole wheel doesnt shake, its like its just the very inside of the steering wheel and it has a vibrational loose feeling to it. Any one else have this "problem"

2. Mar 17, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    MS22 likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Either that or slop in your steering components.

And dont worry about asking to much. We gotta have something to break up all the shit talking around here...

Aerindel and TX-TRD1stGEN like this.
  4. Aug 27, 2023 at 7:15 PM
    mike's limited

mike's limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    05' Limited DC 4x4
    Stock
    I recently had my rack and pinion replaced by a mechanic, and started noticing this same problem shortly thereafter. Wondering if this problem was caused by a faulty install?

Anyone have input on that?

I also realized my horn didnt work the first time I had to use it after the repair(which was actually several weeks). I'm 99% sure its the clockspring since the horn actually is still operable if I engage the alarm. They also busted 2 of the notches off one of my centercaps and left them rattling around inside. This mechanic is a former Toyota Tech so he specializes in Toyota repairs...has a excellent reputation around here but I think perhaps his helper guy did the shoddy work.

Its seems like the only way to get things done properly is to do them yourself these days. Unfortunately, I dont have the time, or patience for a lot of auto repairs

5. Aug 27, 2023 at 7:20 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    IMG_0305.jpg

bmf4069 and T-Rex266 like this.
  6. Aug 27, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I'd be marching my ass back up to the shop before I'd be in here bumping zombie threads :D

If you want to know what's happening, prop a phone up under the truck and record what's happening when you turn lock to lock with engine running. I'll almost guarantee your bushings are sketch and the whole rack is moving.

TX-TRD1stGEN and bmf4069 like this.
  7. Aug 28, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    pjtruslow

pjtruslow New Member

Member:
    would they really need to mess with the clock spring to remove and replace the steering rack? on my 01 sequoia, the horn only works if I push on the wheel pad just right.
    as for the center caps, depending on age, plastic just deteriorates. I just got rid of my original wheels, and most of my center caps were falling to pieces, missing several tabs and missing paint in several places where a weak electric pressure washer took the paint off.

8. Aug 28, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Other early-year members have found this issue with the horn and one @dward394 even resolved it. And this thread's most recent two replies (one was him) are literally people with earlier years with the same issue (that thread has lots of info that may help you). Likely nothing to do with the clock spring, unless other functions on the wheel that pass thru the clock spring are impacted, @mike's limited ?

I've managed to bust off 3 tabs from two caps in the last two years :(

Products Discussed in

To Top