1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me, I have a mouse problem

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by steeel, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Aug 14, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    imo and from exp, if you're getting mice/rats in the garage do a perimeter search of potential entry points from outside into the garage. poke around with your fingers. i had a problem with some field mice/rats that were coming in the garage at night to feed on some food stored. critter control came and helped me find large gaps in my garage door at the corners. they were coming in from there. luckily they weren't living in the house or walls only coming at night then leaving. we closed off the gaps and problem solved. he also taught to regularly inspect the house perimeter and other potential entry points. cut off where they come in and your traps will go untriggered.

if the truck is outside that's a whole diff game. if they get in they like to chew and eat the soy based wire coverings in harnesses, etc. potentially thousands of dollars damage. harder problem to solve. some good suggestions here already. i'm battling a squirrel(s) atm since cars parked more often these days. i've got a microfiber cloth doused in critter ridder under the hood and it's keeping it at bay. put a note on the seats to remove before driving. they chewed the hood insulation of my daughters prius and started building a nest, and crapped all over the place tehn started to eat our sienna engine cover. bastards.

2. Aug 14, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    I had a rodent problem in my outdoor garden/lawn equipment and tried this stuff with great results. :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot to say that it does have a pleasant ceder type odor and I wouldn't have any problem using it in my truck if needed.

20200814_175644.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    GODZILLA likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    KENNY

KENNY New Member

Member:

Marty McFly and GODZILLA like this.
  4. Aug 14, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    We have a couple of hawks patrolling the neighborhood lately. It's been a pleasant snake and rodent free summer so far.

NewImprovedRon and GODZILLA like this.
  5. Aug 15, 2020 at 12:29 AM
    2020 dc

2020 dc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra dc sr
    Bait stations works for me. They eat them up like candies. Be prepare when winter comes. Rats love building their nest next to your warm engine.

6. Aug 15, 2020 at 1:04 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    :rofl::amen:

7. Aug 16, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    BruinsFan

BruinsFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 1794
    Hi folks, first post in this great forum! I had a huge problem with mice shortly after purchasing my 2014 Limited. Poison was killing them but they just kept coming. One day I couldn't get the truck out of park and I had to stick a screwdriver into that little bypass on the console. Pulled the console apart and found the little wire to the solenoid had been chewed through and mouse droppings everywhere. Also had the big hole in my cabin filter that others have described, as well as a dead mouse. I finally fixed the problem permanently. I removed the wiper arms and popped the cowl off. You will find a HUGE opening in the firewall with no mesh protecting the opening! Direct access to the duct system for the rodents. I purchased some fine mesh hardware cloth at home depot to plug the opening with. Also cut a piece and placed it on top of my cabin filter for added security. I also now spray my engine bay periodically with rodent repellant and have a large bait trap near the truck. I haven't had a mouse in years. Hope this helps some folks with their problem!

deptrai, junior, Sumo91 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    marsbar

marsbar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC Long Bed SR5 O.R.
    Leer cab high topper, Toytec Aluma 2.0 kit, + 1.5 shackles + deaver 3 leaf add, SPC UCAs, SPC LCA bolt kit, 295 70 18 Revo 3 tires.
    FYI, First post ...
    Wow, I have an active mouse problem. I need to remove the glove box, or whatever necessary to clean dog food out of the ac fan and the entire cavity beneath the cabin filter. Went camping 1 week ago, found mouse sign. upon returning home I emptied out the cabin, placed traps and got 3 mice. All good, NOT! After reading this post I checked my cabin filter, its stuffed with dog food and so is the fan underneath. This entire cavity needs cleaning, at least 3 cups of dog food disappeared and only a hand full has been recovered from the cabin filter - can't get to the rest.
    I took out the three easy to see screws in the glove box - of course nothing can removed from just that.
    Need help so I may sleep tonight.
    Many thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Bob

Tundyfundy likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    marsbar

marsbar New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC Long Bed SR5 O.R.
    Leer cab high topper, Toytec Aluma 2.0 kit, + 1.5 shackles + deaver 3 leaf add, SPC UCAs, SPC LCA bolt kit, 295 70 18 Revo 3 tires.
    I got the fan out with the three screws on bottom and the various electrical connectors ( bat. was unplugged prior ), still cant get to something holding the glove box in on the right side, air bag trip piece was removed. screw / bolt on left side under air bag trip piece removed. Cant see the remaining fastener(s) on right side of glove box.
    I can't believe the volume and mass of dog food that 3 mice moved in a night, and I did not here though I was sleeping in the bed. Never feel sorry for mice.
    Bob

10. Aug 16, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Haggis777

Haggis777 I.L.J.C.M.L.

Member:
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver SR5 TRD Tundra Canadian Model
    LEDs interior & exterior, stubby antenna, Bak-Flip cover, 285's, AGM battery, block heater, Pine tree air freshener
    Wow....these are some bad mice incidents!
    I have found that heavily-scented fabric softener sheets and bars of Irish Spring (GREEN, not blue) keep mice away. Place the sheets in areas of the truck like the glove box and the soap in perimeter areas of the garage. Works to keep mice out of some classic vehicles we store through the winter.
    Rodents hate the smell of this stuff.
    Cheap to get at the dollar store.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Aug 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    BruinsFan

BruinsFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 1794
    Wow, Bob, sounds like quite a mess. I vacuumed my duct work out as best I could by attaching various flexible hoses to my shop vac and shoving them into the exit points for the heat/ac. I was after the turds and chewed up debris, don't know how successful that would be with dog food. I wish you luck. Lysol or similar scented disinfectant sprayed into the ducts helped get rid of the smell as did a scented cabin filter. Until you cover the fresh air intake with a screen they will keep getting in. That opening in the firewall is about a foot wide and a couple inches high.

12. Aug 16, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    After huge problems with mice getting into my last truck, the first thing i did when i bought my Tundra was to block off the huge gaps on the lower plastic window cowl near the hinges. I cut and formed some wire mesh, and set them in some black silicone. Others take the whole cowl off and seal off the huge holes which also works great. I check mine pretty often along with the air box which is another of their favorite nesting places. So far, so good. :fingerscrossed:

IMG_0491.jpg

junior and GODZILLA like this.
  13. Aug 17, 2020 at 2:17 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Best mouse trap I know of is a cat.

Geo4x4, GODZILLA and Haggis777 like this.
  14. Sep 16, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    junior

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Black Rhino Rapid 17" 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss Bilstein 6112 at 2.5" w/ 1 Coach Builder Shim on each side JBA UCAs Bilstein 5160 Dobinsons HD Leaf Springs Firestone Airbags + Daystar Cradles Leer 100XR Decked Drawers
    Looks almost identical to what I just discovered while going to change the cabin filter crazy how dirty it is after only 10 months.....—but no actual mouse for me. Does anyone have a link on how to remove the wiper cowel? I want to try and clean it out as best as possible as I see some nest stuff down there :(

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.29.34 PM.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. Sep 16, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    BruinsFan

BruinsFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 1794
    Zach, you need to remove both wiper arms and then remove the fastener on each end of the cowl. At that point the cowl should pop off. The wipers arms can be a little troublesome sometimes after backing off the nuts you'll find the arms require some force to get them off but they will come off.
    My problem resurfaced two weeks ago. The bastards tore up my hood insulator and chewed through the washer fluid hose. I repaired the hose by splicing it back together with a brass barbed adapter, soaked the hood insulator with rodent repellant and put it back on. I discovered that my external bait trap had been picked clean resulting in mice under my hood again. I have a really fake looking plastic rock that I got on Amazon that holds 12 blocks of poison and they ate it all! First time that's happened.I

Phil

junior likes this.
  16. Sep 16, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Hartsy8

Hartsy8 Resident Hockey Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    Damn dude that’s probably enough to kill off 100-150 mice! Where do you live?

17. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    BruinsFan

BruinsFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 1794
    Lol. I'm in southern New Hampshire and I have lots of woods so that number sounds about right! The bait trap is big enough to kill the chipmunks too, they also seem to like my truck.

18. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Medicineman

Medicineman The Dark Side has better toys!

Member:
    Western MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Rock Warrior Crewmax
    Heated Leather Seats, Morimoto XB LEDs, Bushwacker Flares, Line-X, Leer Cap, Yak Rack
    For a moment, I thought that was a friggin’ opossum.

19. Sep 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    junior

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Black Rhino Rapid 17" 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss Bilstein 6112 at 2.5" w/ 1 Coach Builder Shim on each side JBA UCAs Bilstein 5160 Dobinsons HD Leaf Springs Firestone Airbags + Daystar Cradles Leer 100XR Decked Drawers
    Thank you! Thats super helpful. I scrolled up and just saw your prior post. Looks like I'll be sealing off that large opening and the ones by the hood hinges with some mesh as well.

I've been wanting to remove and paint the wiper cowl anyway but didnt think I'd have to do it from a damn mouse lol

BruinsFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 17, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794
    If chipmunks are hitting your bait station, they are likely to empty it and move it to their nest - without actually eating it. use snap traps, or a 5 gallon bucket with seed floating a few inches of water to get chipmunks.

BruinsFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Sep 17, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Avi8or

Avi8or New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johann
    MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited Crewmax
    First I’d cover the intake hole into the Hvac with hardware cloth.

after extensive research a few years ago on this subject, the below photo was the best solution to keep mice out of vehicle. The guy that researched this spent quite a while trying to come up with a solution. This photo is not his setup, but the concept is the same.

83EB434E-1BE2-44DC-89A8-04D0F3660D96.jpg

22. Sep 28, 2020 at 1:45 AM
    lssbuck

lssbuck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loui
    It's a common problem. They are everywhere and sometimes it can be really hard to kill them. I prefer to use mechanical traps to catch them if I see them in my garage or at home. Do not like chemicals as my children play everywhere and I am afraid that chemicals can hard their health. I can recommend choosing one of the traps here https://trappedia.com/10-best-traps-for-rats/. I think you can find some effective traps. From my experience Made2catch Classic Metal Rat Trap works perfectly.

23. Sep 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    snappy924

snappy924 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Pasadena, California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax 4x2
    Bilstein shocks, Tembren bump stops,
    Also use some moth balls inside women’s stocking Hosiery. I had a rat eat away at my engine harness and thank goodness insurance sported the bill. Would have ran me $10,000 to fix. Hint: wasn’t my tundra

831Tun[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    Kansas1794

Kansas1794 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Super white 1794 TRD Off road package
    Black step sides, tonneau cover, tinted windows
    For everyone with the mice/rodent problems, what environment are you all in?
    In other words, are you in the city, suburbs, country?, do you park in an attached garage, under a carport, outside ? I’m trying to get a idea of what to look out for. thank you all!!

831Tun likes this.
  25. Sep 29, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I'm in the foothills, lots of woods around and parked outside.

26. Sep 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    Profiler

Profiler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Limited TRD
    Rodents create a lot of work for us when the weather starts cooling. Dealerships tend to want to replace the whole harness when you can just repair the damaged portion. After any repairs we always wrap what we can with the Honda rodent tape for a little peace of mind. Had rodents total a 2010 prius a couple of months back.

27. Sep 29, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    Hartsy8

Hartsy8 Resident Hockey Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 1794
    Where?!?!

28. Sep 29, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    Profiler

Profiler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand Limited TRD
    Folsom CA

29. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Trebz

Trebz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trebz
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner but looking for 2020 Tundra
    Just got one today. Going to be putting in some mesh this week. Very concerning after reading this thread. IMG_3059.jpg

Moon Puppy likes this.
  30. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Yikes!

Products Discussed in

To Top