1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help building my Tundra for retirement trip

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BPAUTOSERVICE, Mar 24, 2016.

?

GAS OR DEISEL

1. GAS

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. DEISEL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mar 24, 2016 at 9:55 AM
    BPAUTOSERVICE

BPAUTOSERVICE [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PAUL
    Vehicle:
    NEW TUNDRA
    LOOKING TO BUY A NEW TUNDRA. NEED TO PICK RIGHT OPTIONS AND EQUIP IT WITH EVERYTHING I WLL NEED TO DRIVE AROUND THE WORLD. PLANNING A 5YR TRIP. I AM RETIRING THIS YEAR.
    HELLO TO YOU TUNDRA NUTS & BOLTS AND GUYS AND GALS
    MY NAME IS PAUL.
    BRAND NEW TODAY.
    I NEED SOME HELP IN BUILDING A NEW TUNDRA FOR A 5 YR TRIP AROUND THE WORLD. I HAVE MY OWN MECHANIC SHOP NOW, BUT HERE SHORTLY I AM TURNING IT OVER TO ONE OF MY MECHANICS. I AM RETIRING AFTER 45 YEARS OF TURNING WRENCHES.
    I HAVE CHOSEN A NEW 2016 OR 2017 TUNDRA BUT THAT IS AS FAR AS I HAVE GOTTEN. NOW I NEED TO CHOOSE WHICH ONE AND WHAT EQUIP TO ADD TO IT. SUCH AS WENCHES FROM AND BACK, LIFT KIT EXTRA BATTERY BIGGER ALTERNATOR, 12V-110V ADAPTER. I AM GOING TO ADD A SHELL ON TOP. NOT TO BIG OF ONE BUT MAYBE UP TO THE TOP OF THE CAB. ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS

2. Mar 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    Did you realize you started 3 threads lol. Its okay we will use this one. What are your destinations?
    I will give you a topper thread I started. https://www.tundras.com/threads/contemplating-a-topper.4234/#post-62269

I recommend light bars, lots of guys have em here. Lots of mounting locations depending where you want to put them. I will let the other guys chime in as far as lifts. I have the Pro Comp level kit which is 3" front and 1" rear. I have heard it will squeeze 35" tires with minor plastic cutting to prevent rub.

3. Mar 24, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Welcome! Lots of info on the forum. Check out the links in my signature.
    I agree with Tracker on a front 3" lift and rear 1" lift with 35" tires for added clearance for the trails. I have the Toytec Ultimate Bilstein Lift with 34.5" Goodyear Duratracs.
    Not sure if the Tundra will ever be diesel. They said it would in 2015 but no, 2016 no. Maybe someday but not sure if it will be 2017.

What are the plans for this trip as far as use of the Tundra? How much offroading, technical trails? Camping? Towing?

4. Mar 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome!
    Some of the 2016 models come with the 38g fuel tank- which is great for less fuel-ups, especially if you snow.
    3/1 kit with 35" tires would look great and serve for overall function. Whats the budget for a lift?

If you plan on wheeling it above normal conditions, a winch with a solid bumper (@Relentless) would go well with a winch. If not, you can always just do bumpers too.

Relentless likes this.
  5. Mar 24, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  6. Mar 24, 2016 at 2:59 PM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Why would you want big tires for a road trip. I don't think he's going for looks, more practical. 3-4 MPG loss for a road trip sounds pretty silly to me. I'd stay with stock and take the better mileage any day.

Products Discussed in

To Top