1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello. I just found this site. Looking to replace my recently totaled 2005 limited tundra

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Johnny B Good, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    Johnny B Good

Johnny B Good [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra sr5 TRD now
    In that sad state of blues with no truck. some Yahoo ran a red light and hit me totaled it It was a Tunrda 05 Limited with all the extra options. leather, JBL's premium system etc. etc. so looking to replace. will stay Toyota because it was an awesome truck. My first experience into an import It was in mint condition had a Cold air intake throttle body Spacer. new paint a stainless steel magna flow, new sidesteps chrome new BilStien shocks new LTX Ms2 Michelin tires. Etc. Looking at an 06 SR5 TRd. It has a 3 inch lift 285 75 16 tires. Needs new ones. Paint job is pretty scratched up as it was a hunting truck. on my 05 they were 17. Any thoughts as to why the difference in rim size and any pros or cons to the different sizes. Already read a little bit of conversations in regards to some getting new exhaust and tires and so forth was interesting look forward to figure out the website. Never joined a forum before.

2. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO. Sorry your 05 got fracked up. My 07 DC has 18" rims. I know that there are more tires available from different mfrs depending on rim size. There seems to be plenty of tires out there for 16',17', and 18" rims. Comes down to preference and how much rubber you want, lift, leveled, stock ride, etc. Lots of info on this site. The truck you are looking at already has the 3" lift which gives you plenty of options to start with.

3. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Johnny B Good

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra sr5 TRD now
    I like the look of Durotracs but apparently they're rating is only about 60,000 km my LTX MS2 's were rated at at least 115km. Apparently BFGoodrich all-terrain have a new version 10 ply look rugged I had their version a few years ago on my bronco they didn't work too good after half of the tread was gone but lasted pretty long. any recommendations

4. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    Johnny B Good

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra sr5 TRD now
    And wondering I've heard a couple times now people say they're replacing their timing belt and water pump is this a necessity at some point? Didn't seem to have any trouble with my O5 was at 225,000 km

5. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    2uz fe 4.7 is a interference engine. That belt pops on you so does the engine bend valves or worst piston thru the block. If my memory is right its 90,000 miles or every 6 years replacement.

6. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    Johnny B Good

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra sr5 TRD now
    Thank you Mike good to know I guess I added to the list of things I'm going to have to do to spruce this truck up I'm going to go buy in a couple hours. what should be the price of timing belt I live up in Vancouver BC

7. Jul 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! Looks like your question has already been answered above.

8. Jul 31, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Welcome!

9. Jul 31, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    Johnny B Good

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 tundra sr5 TRD now
    Thank you all. Here's a couple more questions for you on my 05 I put on K&N cold air intake and an airside throttle body spacer. Are those something I should put on this new one do they actually do any improvements? They seemed to b good I know it sounded better :)

10. Jul 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This is a good read found on TundraHQ: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/stay-away-from-throttle-body-spacers/

I added a K&N to my factory cold air intake, mainly to save money on air filters. Been to Vancouver. Very beautiful city. Especially at night. Got lost, ended up driving thru Whistler. Don't ask. heh heh

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  11. Jul 31, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    I have a k@n cold intake on mine( on my build page) they are worth it. when my truck is doing a undisclosed speed it really shows.

As for the throttle body spacer imo they are worthless on that subject.

Black Wolf likes this.
  12. Jul 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Undisclosed speed??? Hmmmmmm......

Throttle bodies are not completely worthless. They make real good sinkers. No wait. Made out of aluminum. Worthless.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  13. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:44 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    I dont want to incriminate myself. Lol

14. Jul 31, 2015 at 9:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    #1 Hell, I incriminate myself all the time.
    #2 How about "what should I do with my worthless throttle body" thread or "how many ways to make your throttle body not worthless" thread? (example: can you skip them across water like a flat rock? 10 skips or more?) After all aluminum is lite and maybe the threaded vortex grooves will facilitate the skipping affect.

15. Aug 1, 2015 at 12:09 AM
    corc305

corc305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra 4x4 TRD CM
    Earl's Rear Seat Storage / Dex's Stock Air Box Mod - Tundrageeks
    Instead of K&N cold air intake check out this mod I did on my first gen when I had it. I'm not a hater on the K&N CAI but it isn't as much of a CAI kit as the stock system. With the K&N you may be able to gulp more at high rpms but you're getting hot air from the engine bay.

I've had the throttle body spacer. I'll say this, not sure if it adds power but it does seems to change the power/torque curve and it seems to add at the low end, which for a pickup and gas mileage is desirable. If your curious you almost just have to give in and try it, if it doesn't work out sell it on ebay or the forums to the next guy.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Aug 1, 2015 at 6:36 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I kept my stock air box and dropped in a K&N. I do have the SABM kit. Just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. As you know the stock air box takes in cooler air from wheel well and yet people will take it out and put in a kit that sucks in hot air from engine compartment. Go figure. All they need to do is what you did. Very excellent write up. As far as throttle bodies, I'm not into junk science. The 5.7 already has ACIS which aleady does what mfrs claim throttle body spacers can do on modern day fuel injected engines. Throttle body spacers were widely used on pre fuel injection engines and actually helped with fuel delivery. The TundraHQ article explains scientifically how they are not necessary on modern day engines
    and what little affect they have on engine performance. Especially with how fuel is is delivered/managed by our engines ECU. If TBS's are so efficient with modern day engines, why do car mfrs not spend another $10 for a part that has all these magical properties? Will it hurt to try it out? No. Would I ever recommend someone spend their hard earned money on one? Not a chance. Why not find one used first on eBay or on Craig's List? I would be curious as to why someone would be selling their spacer to begin with "Why are you selling your spacer for $25 that you paid $100 for? Aren't you going to lose some torque/mpg's?"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top