1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlights flickering

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by AlrightAlrightAlright, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Nov 8, 2021 at 5:26 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

AlrightAlrightAlright [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM DC 4x4 with SR5 Upgrade Package
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Hey guys,

Once again, scrounged through the posts on here but can’t find anything definitive on this topic. I have factory halogens that flicker, especially with left turn signal, but also when just cruising.

Aside from loose connections, GearRunner talks about replacing the turn signal stalk, others are thumping relays… still others point to the pending NHTSA headlight wiring recall due out this December/January 2022.

Any clarity on this (seemingly common) topic?

Will snapping up some Morimotos from @memario1214 fix this?

2. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Hmm….. can you snag a video of it somehow? Are they flickering as in going on/off, or dipping in power similar to like a hi/low?

3. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:23 PM
    Razor733

Razor733 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Emblem blackout,Bed cover
    I know it looks like you have a fairly new truck but do the dash lights also flicker or is it just the headlights? I had an F150 that everytime the battery started to get weak the headlights would flicker along with the dash lights,Besides that I would not have any idea what it would be

4. Nov 9, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    Are they flickering or could be loose? I have the factory LED's and my fog lights are loose so there's a little flicker on the road from them. Enough to annoy me. Too lazy to figure out how to secure them down. But it's definitely loose fog light assemblies in my situation.

5. Nov 9, 2021 at 5:05 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    RetraxONE MX retractable bed cover TRD Rear sway bar Debadged FabFours Matrix front bumper Smittybilt 9,500# XRC winch Aries 30" light bar (internal bumper mount) Diode Dynamics SS3 3" SAE Fog and Driving lights ConsoleVault RhinoRack crossbars
    Hi guys, just the low beams, like the voltage is fluctuating and about to cut out. First thing I thought was loose connections. One guy had the headlights fail altogether. Another guy said turning off the auto-on (either lows or brights, I’m not sure) fixed it. Still others are chasing relays.

I’ll get a video tonight - issue is more apparent at night. Here is GearRunner’s post:
    https://youtu.be/2TzrpLq9WP4

And here’s the recall info:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car...l-for-headlights-that-catch-fire-a1208906316/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Jaypown likes this.
  6. Nov 9, 2021 at 5:13 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Saw this as a documented issue also. @memario1214 has some DD LED replacements ready to go for you.

memario1214 and Jaypown[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Nov 9, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Put me down as interested in your Hot Tails Option A also, boss. Discount package them with a set of Morimotos and I’ll have the card ready once I figure this out.

8. Nov 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Sounds good! We'll figure something out. You should figure out this issue first though as we might be throwing parts at a different problem.

I know it's a new truck, but have you had your alternator and battery tested?

9. Nov 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Will do on the diagnostics. I could check both the alternator and battery, but it is really isolated to the headlight circuit. Nothing else reacts, dash lights or otherwise. I was going to start by unplugging the SwitchPro thinking it could be some sort of feedback, but I’ll start by posting the video tonight.

10. Nov 9, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    Wheresmytranscooler

Wheresmytranscooler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD
    I had this issue on an older 4runner with the same style of turn/headlight switch. The contacts in the rotary portion of the switch were the issue. When using the left turn signal, pressure on the end of the T/S stalk would open the contact for headlights. I was able to disassemble and adjust the contact for greater spring pressure. Never had any further issue. On a 2020, this sounds like a warranty issue.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  11. Nov 10, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Intermittent electrical issues are so fun. Argh! I’ll keep checking nightly and post the vid here when I catch the little gremlin.

12. Jan 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Hey guys, finally got a video last month and now… all truck power was cutting out just tonight. I mean complete power loss for a fraction of a second, happened about a half dozen times over the course of an hour *at speed*. Spooky. Parked truck at my destination - God does answer prayers - now truck is completely dead, like there’s zero battery. The forum won’t take my iPhone video format from December 2021, so I’ll try to convert it. Video shows me turning on turn signal and the headlights flash for a fraction of a second upon turning on the switch.

I’m going to pull the battery tomorrow and go have it load tested. I’ll update you with the results. Thinking the battery is shorted… hopefully…

13. Jan 9, 2022 at 6:11 PM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
  14. Jan 9, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
  15. Jan 9, 2022 at 8:00 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    If you're sitting around haing a beer and watching Youtube this might help you out. Some symptoms, fixes, and using a multimeter to figure it out.
    https://youtu.be/gfhsVU6ZFaw

16. Jan 10, 2022 at 11:04 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Great stuff. Just got battery to the parts house. Not even enough charge to run a load test. Will know in about 30 minutes the status of the battery.

Should tell you… I was pulling an 18’ trailer with electric brakes. Wondering if something was going on with it. Leaving everything unhooked now (offroad lights, winch). All that wiring and connections look perfect, but in the spirit of taking things out of the equation, you know.

17. Jan 10, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Old battery wouldn’t take a charge. Will try a replacement battery and let you guys know. Thanks so much,@NoRcptn !

18. Jan 10, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Totally plausible as discussed earlier , could be an alternator or alternator wiring issue. That would Almost make sense draining the battery , especially while towing using electric brakes and lights.
    Keep us informed on what it was. Is it past warranty mileage ?

19. Jan 11, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    15,000 miles on her, truck is 16 months old. They couldn’t get the battery to charge, so I got a new one. I assumed dealer would huff and puff, blame my mods and scoff at putting a new battery in there, so I just went to O’Reillys.

Driving it last night, trailer hooked up and no issues. I’ll see how it goes over the next month and check back in. Thinking for now it was a shorted battery.

20. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:14 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Battery dead is one thing. The only thing that's interesting is when you said " I mean complete power loss for a fraction of a second, happened about a half dozen times over the course of an hour *at speed*.
    I haven't had too many issues in the past, but several bad stock Tundra batteries. Basically dim lights while not running, dead battery, etc.
    Once running though, it shouldn't do that unless there is a charge problem. I guess if it wouldn't take a charge that could be it. But it still seems to me like something is loose or alternator problem. I'm hoping it is the battery. Just curious, what's your voltage reading while sitting and driving?

21. Jan 14, 2022 at 2:50 PM
    AlrightAlrightAlright

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I figured loose ground for sure. It was scary and, turnpike means nowhere to exit. At speed means 75 on that section also (80 mph limit). Complete momentary loss of power: from the headlights to the dash instruments to the trailer lights.

But I believe to a degree that I’m past it. I don’t have alternator numbers, but the idiot gauge was dead middle of the gauge range unwavering the whole way back.

Looking around at diagnostic tools and methods. Plan on testing continuity and resistance of light circuits and winch that I added before hooking them back up one-by-one. Numeric gauges while driving are definitely a want at this point and those OBD-2 bluetooth ones seem to be pretty prolific.

Products Discussed in

To Top