1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Header install

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 00TundraZ, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Apr 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    00TundraZ

00TundraZ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4
    Ok, so I am planning on swapping my badly ticking factory manifolds for shorty headers that will fit with the exhaust I already have.

My question is for anyone that has done this before, did you just use new nuts on the studs or did you replace the studs? The studs from toyota are insanely expensive and the ones from dorman (while still not cheap) are not getting good reviews. I do not want to use bolts for fear of snapping off a head someday if I every need to remove them.

I'm hoping to get away with just buying new nuts (haha :rofl:) and use original studs. They are rusty but I would think they would still work....

Thoughts/suggestions? I'm open to other brands of studs as well.

dudesy and bmf4069 like this.
  2. Apr 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    @TUNDRAIN520 has JBA headers. Maybe he can help. I also have the extremely annoying ticking manifolds that I would eventually like to replace. I'm guessing it's not a fun job.

3. Apr 26, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    00TundraZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4
    From what I have read it’s best to just remove the motor mounts and then it makes the job much easier. Still not easy, but easier. With this truck being in northern Ohio and Indiana all its life I’m certain I will have a tougher time than Florida or Cali folks would have!

4. Apr 26, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Take some pics. I’ve heard this job is tough even for seasoned pros.

Filthyphil and TX-TRD1stGEN like this.
  5. Apr 26, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    00TundraZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4
    Will do. I didn’t find anything in depth on here so I’ll make something.

6. Apr 26, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    It was rated at 14 beers when I did it. My short summary:

Get Percy's gaskets for where the header flange meets the head.

Don't get Percy's gaskets for the collector pipes, those are garbage. Go with either what comes with your headers or I'll mention what works when the name co.es to mind, I wanna say Remflex.

Get a swivel adapter for your socket.
    Consider getting new O2 sensors.
    Get an inspection mirror.
    Get a block of wood so you can use it on a floor Jack to gently lift your motor, you'll want to watch that you avoid the drain plug when you do this. You will save lots of time if you gently support the motor and take a motor mount off on the side you are doing, one side at a time.

I live in California and didnt have rust, I found it smarter to invest in those expensive castle nuts from Toyota rather than trying to pull studs and use bolts. They're damn expensive but if you check around you can get a decent price. I believe I used 8 per flange and 3 per collector, double check that count.

Let me know if you want info or have questions.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. Apr 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark

bmf4069 and Casper421 like this.
  8. Apr 26, 2019 at 5:37 PM
    MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVID
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 V-8 4.7L WHITE
    RCD 6" SUSPENSION LIFT,ICON EXTENDED FRONT COILOVERS,3" BODY LIFT,CAMBURG UPPER CONTROL ARMS.REAR DISK BRAKE CONVERSION,BIG BRAKE FRONT CONVERSION, AND MANY MORE
    I have jba long tube headers on mine. I have a 6”inch lift kit and 3” inch body lift so headers were real easy to install

revtune likes this.
  9. Apr 26, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    02goes

02goes New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4X4
    Cost wise, better buying stock or welding the crack than to replace with an aftermarket short header that doesn't give more HP and wont last as long if ceramic coated for longevity or not.
    Studs, grade 8 is the hardest and Toyota doesn't have the market cornered on those used in their vehicles , so buy new ones that aren't OEM if ya feel like it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. Apr 27, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Why would stainless not last long? Mine have been in for 10 years.

Part of the reason I used new nuts rather than bolts is I didn't want to put grade 8 steel bolts into the aluminum heads. At least with the studs I had some comfort level that I wouldn't strip the aluminum, the nut would spin on the stud before that would happen.

11. Apr 27, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVID
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 V-8 4.7L WHITE
    RCD 6" SUSPENSION LIFT,ICON EXTENDED FRONT COILOVERS,3" BODY LIFT,CAMBURG UPPER CONTROL ARMS.REAR DISK BRAKE CONVERSION,BIG BRAKE FRONT CONVERSION, AND MANY MORE
    You cant weld stock exhaust headers they are made of cheap cast iron. Also aftermarket headers are cheaper,and will offer better performance. Stock are junk and cheap to make

12. Apr 27, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    02goes

02goes New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4X4
    Had Gibson stainless headers in a chevy that started to deteriorate after 10 yrs. Wasn't impressed with them or the Stage 8 header fasteners. If anyone strips an aluminum head out with a stud or bolt then those people typically don't have enough experience turning a wrench, but eventually they will get the hang of it.

I've seen stock headers welded for over 40 yrs now and am not surprised to hear of it being done. Poor people usually do it, or they go to the junk yard. Also aftermarket headers ($600 and up last I looked) are not cheaper than stock. Short headers don't give significant performance over stock, but long tubes do.

Header fasteners:
    https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/header-fasteners?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  13. Apr 27, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    rodneysworld

rodneysworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rodney
    Vehicle:
    2011 charcoal gray tundra
    series 77 K n D intake, rims and tires, KYB shocks, leveling kit, drilled slotted rotors, carbon fiber pads, interceptor tuner, flomaster catback dual exhaust, Spider halo projector headlights, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio Amps, JL Audio allaroundSpeakers
    Installed JBAs did not replace studs
    If you think the ticking is going to go away by installing Headers you are wrong it gets worse with headers

20190305_145116.jpg

14. Apr 27, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    No doubt long tubes are better for performance, but the OP wants a direct replacement.

@rodneysworld are you talking first gen or later? My first gen doesn't tick from the shorties.

00TundraZ[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 27, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    You can weld cast iron. People do it all the time. You just have to know how.

16. Apr 27, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    00TundraZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 AC 4x4
    I actually already have shorty headers sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. I wouldn’t mind long tubes at all, but don’t want the expense! I have no doubt they have better performance, it’s purely from a financial standpoint. Rather put it into other things for the tundra!
    So far I think I’m going to buy new studs, nuts, and gaskets. I can’t imagine how mad I would be if I go through all this headache to end up having an exhaust leak once I was done.

Darkness and 02goes like this.
  17. Apr 27, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    If the ticking doesn't get fixed by removing the leaking exhaust manifolds then whats the actual cause?

18. Apr 27, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    rodneysworld

rodneysworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rodney
    Vehicle:
    series 77 K n D intake, rims and tires, KYB shocks, leveling kit, drilled slotted rotors, carbon fiber pads, interceptor tuner, flomaster catback dual exhaust, Spider halo projector headlights, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio Amps, JL Audio allaroundSpeakers
  19. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners
    That’s awesome, what all was involved for the install? Do you have an x pipe or h pipe? Can you take some pictures of your system? I’ve been curious about the jba long tubes.

20. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Exactly. Mine used to ‘tick’ when idling and hot on a hot day. Like a popping ‘tick’ from the drivers side under the hood.

Ever since new VC gaskets and PCV and ig coils and synthetic oil and whatever else... no mas tick.

21. Apr 28, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    JQ3

JQ3 2005 XSP rwd

Member:
    You are spot on sir! My Tundra ownership goes waaaaay back. I bought the first year Tundra about 6 months after they came out and had some SAS chrome headers and chrome Y pipe installed after about 4 years of ownership. At the time these headers were “all the rage” because they were cheap, but not as good as JBA. I had one of my Dad’s car club buddies install them. The guy normally worked on hot rods, but since my Dad was his friend he said that he’d do it. So I took my truck by his shop to get an estimate, there weren’t many Tundras cruising around back then, he looked at it and said I’ll do it for $250...$250!!!!! I was like hellz yeah!

I dropped it off the day before and when I went to pick it up the next evening that poor guy looked like he had been tussling with a bear!!!! He told my Dad and me that he and his buddy had worked on my truck from about 8 that morning and only stopped once for lunch. He told me
    do not tell anyone how much he charged! I remember my Dad laughing and asked him was it that tough and he was like “Hell yeah!”. Then he said that this was his first and LAST Tundra header job!. Keep in mind there were virtually no one doing “odd” jobs on Tundras back then and if I remember correctly the dealer wanted something like $1200 to do the install!

Anyway, after a few months the headers began to tick and ticked until I traded it in 2016. My Daddy and I did put some better gaskets on years later, but we could only do the passenger side and it took us hours to do that one. It was quiet for maybe 2 weeks...maybe! Those headers did make my Flowmasters sound extra deep and mean tho!

I have no desire to put headers on the ‘05 I bought about 6 months ago. So far the stock manifolds are quiet.

22. Apr 28, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    When I first had my JBA long tube headers on, it was with the stock exhaust. Just by adding the long tube headers, gave my truck a lot more deep tone to it. They do add more hp and torque. I had mine installed by a shop and they said they hated the install.

23. Apr 28, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    rodneysworld

rodneysworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rodney
    Vehicle:
    Exactly my Mechanic said never again on a tundra 2 days later I got my truck back with with little to. No gains my sweet spot is at about 4000 rpm low rpm sounds like exhaust leak I already had dual exhaust and I should have left it that way... ** 2 out of 5 stars

24. Apr 28, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    It honestly isnt THAT bad if you plan it well and are equipped. I don't know why there is so much fuss.

25. Apr 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    You have a 2nd gen, your experience may be different from the first gen crowd.

26. Apr 28, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    JQ3

JQ3 2005 XSP rwd

Member:
    If I remember correctly, I’m going back about 12 years, the Toyota service department’s quoted install time was 14 hours! Now that may be a bit much, but who has more tools and expertise at their disposal than the Toyota Service mechanics? Have you done the install?

27. Apr 28, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    JQ3

JQ3 2005 XSP rwd

Member:
    Sorry didn’t answer your question, I bought Toyota studs.

00TundraZ[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  28. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Took me about 6. If I did it again I could be done in 4. It really isn't that bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top