1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having serious vibration issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Hannerhan, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Feb 22, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Hannerhan

Hannerhan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra trd hi klm new to me and has issues from lack of pride from previous knucklehead owner
    Hello from toronto canada , i baught 2008 trd and it was abused and never had proper maintenance , so i had to have rear drivers side axle seal replace and when we took out axle the ring attached to back of bearing seal that sensor reads from had broke loose and was spinning freely and had ate sensor and rear axle seal , i couldnt afford to have new bearing pressed on at this time so replaced axle seal to stop leakin on landlords driveway and cut sensor ring of to limit anymore damage for now , topped up diff oil and replaced brake shoe hdwr kit on said drivers side , NOW there is a serious vibration going on , so with the speed etc, wheel sensor fu-ked for now i can only access 4wd from a stopped key start and when i do that the vibration goes away , then i shut truck down ,, turn back to 2wd and restart truck and drive , vibration is back , i drove for a bit , stopped and felt each rim at callipers etc and passenger side rear is hotter by far than other three ,, but the hdwr kit was installed drivers side rear wheel where said axle seal was replaced , the parking brake is my first thaught where the issue is causing vibration or is it the drivers side wheel out of balance / or is it driveshaft out of balance ? Is there any possibility that by cutting the ring of the rear bearing that sensor reads from has caused this , but why does it go away when i drive in 4wd from a dead ignition type start , and then when i switch back to 2wd it doesn't vibrate unless i let it sit for a while ?? Or am i just in need of getting that stupid freakin drum diskbrake thang wirking freely ! Hope i dont get slayed here for my first thread ! Any input would help , cheers !!

2. Feb 22, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    Hannerhan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra trd hi klm new to me and has issues from lack of pride from previous knucklehead owner
    Come on , does anyone think that when the shop installed the brake shoe hdwr kit the mechanic over tightened the parking brake ? Anybody ? Bueller ? Bueller? Causing the vibration ? I am outside at-17 loosing my shit trying to figure out why the opposite rear wheel is hotter than the one that was worked on ! Go leafs go !!!!!

3. Feb 22, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    johnnyskullface

johnnyskullface New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited Crewmax
    This post is a little hard for me to read and figure out what is going on, but are you saying the wheel speed sensor was damaged and removed? I would be very surprised if this didn’t throw a check engine light. It’s possible that the vehicle is trying to adjust for what it thinks is wheel slippage. I probably wouldn’t drive it like this unless you want to replace the rear differential. I could be way off here because the description is hard for me to follow.

4. Feb 22, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    Trident

Trident New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra DC 4X4
    If one wheel is hotter than the other I'm gonna say it's either brakes or the wheel bearing. The truck doesn't need to be driven until you fix it. Sucks, but you'll be in worse shape if you do drive it.

5. Feb 22, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    Hannerhan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    The ring that was attached to the wheel bearing that has grooves on it that the sensor reads abs and wheel speed etc , the ring had came loose and was spinning freely causing the axle seal to get damaged and was wearing the plastic sensor down , the truck had already been flashing abs / 4wd high low and traction control lights on dashboard but only once truck was up to speed , so the ring that has came loose that the sensor reads is part of the wheel bearing assembly , so we changed the axle seal to stop the leakage but could not afford the downtime to send axle to shop to have press remove and install new bearing that has the grooved disk that sensor reads from, so the sensor was soaked in oil from the axle seal being damaged for a while i would imagine , but there was no vibration until we replaces axle seal and removed ring because it was toast anyhow , BUT we put a new brake shoe hdwr kit on the same side and that is only for the emergency brake drum type and i think from what i read on these forums ,the mechanic failed to adjust the parking ( emergency brake drums) accordingly ? Does this kinda make sense or are u correct by saying the rear differential is in serious risk of imploding ?? Tahnks in advance

huntertn likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    johnnyskullface

johnnyskullface New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited Crewmax
    Jack up the rear of the vehicle (put tire chocks in front of front wheels) and try to spin each wheel by hand. If one side is incredibly hard to turn and the other is easy then it’s likely there is a brake issue. There could be more than one thing going on here. I would still consider not driving it until the repairs can be made. I worry about the rear diff.

JohnLakeman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top