1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having a vehicle paid off is so great

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by jwatt, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    This...It's what I tell my kids too.

Spend money, buy stuff, but save up for the small stuff and no need to replace something every time a new model or color comes out. Fix stuff when you can.

I also don't put furniture and trips on Credit Card and have never carried a balance.

Trailer, toys, truck, house, all paid off.

2. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I think taking a loan is perfectly fine if you can afford it. People that can pay cash are the outliers and in my experience don’t buy new vehicles.
    IMO, what is key is if you take a loan, make sure you put enough down to where you will never be upside down and can unload whatever it is if a financial hardship happens.

3. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    I've posted this in another thread...A paid off Toyota with low miles, is a key way to get ahead. Seriously. From my perspective, its a proven theory.

Dalandshark likes this.
  4. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:57 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    In my case, we able to pay cash as my wife and I both have steady income and we keep our New vehicles for 10y or so

All our vehicles have been purchased new.

We are by no means rich or upper class either. Just smart with our money. We also donate 10%, which even our financial advisor said we wouldn't be able to continue do if we wanted to buy a house. We continued to do so and also had our house paid off before I was 42.

5. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    My dad is still running the boat he bought in 1986. Sure it needs a bit of work and the season is shorter here than in the South but we get out as often as we can in the summer and I'd say he's gotten has money's worth out of it and then some. I think we'd be hard pressed to justify buying a new one if it dies, though.

polox40, BTBAKER and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  6. Jan 21, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Tundra, Avalon and house is paid off. Come on retirement!

7. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    When I bought my truck, I saw $45k sitting in our chequing account and said to myself in hindsight that means I should have been putting more into my retirement accounts and making a return on it but, since it's there, I'll spend it on the truck to avoid paying interest on the purchase and bump up my contributions to my savings.

BravoDeltaRomeo and WILLINH like this.
  8. Jan 21, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor New Member

Member:
    This is good information, but debt according to Dave Ramsey has never been about math. Debt is a human behavior.

Disciplining oneself to not spend the 32k on something else after they drive off the lot with a note is worth more than the potential 16k return -taxes IMO.

Then there is also the idea that somone just has $500-$600 a month in pay to buy a vehicle that was previously un-allocated.

A married couple cave save $19,500 a year each in their 401k plus another $5,500 each into a Rowth IRA.

The discussion then turns into saving money outside of a 401k vs inside.

1lowlife likes this.
  9. Jan 21, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Agree - financial discipline prevails in any situation. Debt is not always a bad thing. There’s “good debt” that helps build wealth in the long run like mortgages and business loans and “bad debt” like credit cards. Spending above your means is always bad financial decision.

10. Jan 21, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Rice and beans, beans and rice.
    You left out the part about him making 8 figures annually selling his plan to people who are broke... but I agree with you on your other points.

Terndrerrr, 1lowlife, BTBAKER and 3 others like this.
  11. Jan 21, 2021 at 8:40 AM
    jwatt

jwatt [OP] I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    That s the nature of the beast though. I read a book called Predictably Irrational that talks about this very thing. In a nutshell that s, "business", to many businesses. In their business model empathy is not a requirement. It s actually detrimental as profit is the goal. IMO many businesses are a cold hearted bitch who can pray on the unsuspecting, gullable, or ignorant, using tried and tested tricks of the trade, and binding contracts. And the fact that business law is so intertwined with social norms one can not escape it let alone fight it. In the end I guess it s up to the individual to determine who to do business with.

12. Jan 21, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    I completely agree with you. Ramsey is a business man (a damn good one if net worth is your measure) - not a philanthropist.

1lowlife and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  13. Jan 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor New Member

Member:
    They don't like that Dave Ramsey sells a financial product through churches. Financial Peace University is what it's called.
    Tom Selleck sells reverse home mortgages or annuities on TV.

Try and think about how it would appear if Tom Selleck was using churches as his marketing and distribution.

Dave prob has most of his wealth through his syndicated radio show, but he does sell, for profit, a financial product through churches.

14. Jan 21, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    gatsby121

gatsby121 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra TRD Pro
    by far the best mod

IMG_4370.jpg

15. Jan 21, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    This is where I related to Ramsey. I've always been the type of person to make minimum payments on everything and keep a large cushion in my accounts. Dave turned me on to the "snowball" idea of taking that extra money that wasn't making me anything and paying off debt quicker that is costing me money. Honestly, the only thing I've really researched with Dave are his paying off debt ways. The rest, I don't follow. But I love the feeling of getting closer and closer to financial freedom, and that is because of Dave's direction.

1lowlife and FundraTRD like this.
  16. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:26 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    hard shell

17. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Don’t get me wrong. I don’t to credit card crazy. I usually don’t even carry a balance. Both our cars are paid off. He’s a nut in that he’s very hard headed in his ways. No open mind to anything else. Everything but his way is wrong. I prefer Robert Kiyosaki way of borrowing as much as I can if I don’t have to pay for it, and use that untaxed money (money which I didn’t earn, pay tax, then pay tax again) to keep the money rolling. After all, money is like water. Keep it in one place it’s a pond. Keep it flowing and it’s a river. But I get it, and if you benefit from his very simple teachings and if that’s what makes you happy, more power to you. If you like blowing money on hookers and cocaine and you’re truly happy, good for you too. I’m just saying he’s kinda coo coo. And that’s just my opinion. But heck, a lot of people are and we’re at that age when we realize not everyone will like you and you most definitely don’t have to pretend to like everybody.

18. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Yes. 0% he brings great points to the table. You have 50k and there is a truck 50k at 0% interest. You get the car at 0% you’re locked in to that monthly payment at no interest not taking into account the inflation (decrease in dollar worth) over your term like 5-7 years. While you invest that 50k in an investment that gives you even as little 10% gains, compounded for 5-7 years, more if you don’t need to touch it, then why not

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  19. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    Perfectly fine not to like people. You can buy his books at used bookstores or find them at the library for free. Before listening to him I was basically following his plan without knowing. Getting rid of debt allowed my wife to quit her job as a banker and stay home after we had our first child. She still stays home (although earns a few bucks) 9 years later because of that decision. Yes, when people call Dave Ramsey on his show he gives them the hard answer, otherwise his plan wouldn’t work. So obviously it will seem like he’s a hard ass. Don’t like it, don’t listen to it, don’t dis it.

20. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:45 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Likewise, don’t get ME wrong, We adopted an approach to finance that minimizes debt and maximizes savings long long before I even knew Ramsey existed. I only heard of him a few years before I retired because I had lots of night shifts and there were few radio stations to listen to when traveling, his program was one. He never said anything that didn’t make sense to me.
    Staying out of debt, not paying interest, saving money for the stuff you want; it’s just the way we always tried to live.

21. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    I spent 6 years paying off my truck and could not be happier that I haven’t had a payment for 4 years.

people knocking Dave Ramsey’s advice really miss the intention behind his advice. SOME people are really good with self control, but MOST are not. Is that their fault? Yes, but why not promote a philosophy that helps most people? if someone can balance loans/income/payments and savings, great for them, nothing wrong with. However most people will not be successful trying to do that. The Bible states that borrowers are slaves to the lender. Most people will experience more fulfillment in life by avoiding debt. I find that in my experience, the burden of debt outweighed the joy from the “stuff” i had purchased with that debt. Just my experience

Terndrerrr, Dalandshark and gosolo like this.
  22. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Is it wrong/odd that I have zero debt, a perfect credit score, money in the bank and I have no idea who Ramsey is and don't care to even look him up?

23. Jan 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    I still smile every 1st of the month for almost a year now. Because my TUNDRA is paid off also. :yes::goingcrazy:
    20210102_144936.jpg

Hbjeff, MS22, rebmo and 1 other person like this.
  24. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    You have actually got your score up to 850? WOW!

25. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    Bringing the thread back around. Feeling good for I just paid the Tundra off.

1lowlife, MS22, Dalandshark and 3 others like this.
  26. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    truly happy you found a way to life you wanted. Keep doing you

27. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    When we were going to pay for our Rav4...he asked if we wanted to know our credit scores (we are in Canada, so I think the numbers are different).

He said mine was xxx I said "what does that mean, is that good?". He said "that's as high as you can get, I don't see many like that.". Then he told us my wife's score and hers was 2 points less, but only because most stuff is in my name.

This was the first time in our 20y or marriage or either of our 45y lives we ever asked or inquired out our scores. I've never paid to get a check.

28. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Credit score is there to use. Nothing to be so proud of. Credit scores can swing up or down by 100 points depending on what you’re doing with it. But no nothing wrong at all sir.

29. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Did he also tell you you can buy any car on the lot? Did it make you feel good? Nice

30. Jan 22, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    It was definitely a good feeling.

I was editing the above post. But was just saying we have never checked our scores or needed to. This was the first time we ever had anyone ask us if we wanted to know what they were.

FundraTRD[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top