1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have been considering a Tacoma. Now thinking Tundra.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 84 Yota, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Aug 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    As far as I'm concerned get the Tundra and throw some Coopers' on it. Will get you most places. IMH experienced O...

2. Aug 24, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This^^^^^^^

zcarpenter92[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    be77solo

be77solo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Crewmax 4x4 5.7L
    KO2's on ENKEI ST6's, BakFlip MX4
    Man, you ain't lying... I LOVED mine... what a great truck the T100 was.
    t100.jpg

Obviously, Tundra is better ;)

4x4_Angel, JAMES and kenomouth64 like this.
  4. Aug 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    tye

tye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tye
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC
    Diamondback cover, flowmaster exhaust, n-fab sliders
    I test drove the taco and was sorely dissapointed in the lack of umph. Then there were reports of issues. Drove the DC Tundra with 5.7 and was thrilled. Bought my PRO within a week.

Buy the Tundra!

5. Aug 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I see a T100 almost every morning on my way to work. Perfect condition. Nice truck. Tundra roots...

6. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    freerider8

freerider8 Trucks Rule

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra, Lift Kit aftermarket wheels and tires. One Badass Toy!!
    Fuel Wheels. Lift Kit. Duel Exhaust.
    I bought my 3rd generation Tundra last year and have never been happier. I have always liked the Tacoma but I wanted a V8 and size of the Tundra. The truck always does what I ask of it and never lets me down, plenty of power when it is needed. Tows without any hesitation. You will be happy with the Tundra if you pull the trigger. Good luck deciding.

7. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    Go with the Tundra. You wont regret it. The new Taco has way too many issues. Rear end howl, transmission etc. Why buy a new truck knowing it had problems? It'll be sitting at the dealership for weeks waiting to get fixed while you're driving a loaner Prius.

You'll get a smoother rider for the dirt/washboard roads if you get the TRD offroad package. If that suspension can't handle what you're throwing at it then you can upgrade to some KING or Fox Shocks.

8. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    I'm a former Tacoma owner as well, 2016 model. I personally had none of the issues that I've read about. She was good to me, but only lasted about a year until my family needs out grew its size.
    We moved into the Crewmax Tundra for our camping needs and family growth. (2 kids 2 dogs)

Driving Tacomas now around my dealership, I don't miss them having the Tundra now, but both trucks fit different needs.
    Drive them both, think about your needs now and possible future requirements and then dive in with both feet.

Our community here is better than TW, so we come with the truck! Just saying!

9. Aug 24, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Tundra has my vote.

I came from a 2005 Tacoma, I had no issues with the truck but needed something bigger.

I fell in love with the Tundra instantly. I love the extra power, love the interior, and love the extra space. Coming from a 3/4 ton Chevy, I can't see you being comfortable in a Tacoma.

There are a lot of aftermarket options for the Tundra suspension if the stock setup doesn't work for you.

Good luck!

10. Aug 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Tundra 5.7L Crewmax is calling your name!!!

HUTCHJ likes this.
  11. Aug 25, 2017 at 2:38 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Just a country boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    21 Limited Cement CM TRD OF
    Like others here I came from a Tacoma. 2008 191k miles on her. Even leading up to the day I bought my Tundra I hadn't made up my mind. Tacoma or Tundra? I have to say I made the right decision, Tundra all the way. The Tacomas are just having too many small issues even down to the leaf springs squeaking. You can't go wrong with the Tundra.

12. Aug 26, 2017 at 8:09 PM
    trdlife

trdlife Toyota Master Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    ICT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD PRO
    'TRD REX'
    When i started at Toyota the 2nd gen Tundra was the big bad brand new toy, and the moment I started driving them, I knew one day i would have one(1st one was a 2010 now I rock a 2015 PRO). Tor the power and the size Tundra is by far the best way to go for a full size truck. Not to mention comfortable on long trips for everyone. Tacos have always held their own and absolutely crushed any mid size competition that was put against it....Until the dark times, when the 2016 Taco came out. From the tech standpoint the "New" Taco has been honestly and it pains me to say but it has been a total let down and nothing but problems. You will be much better off and happier with a Tundra.

Watt maker, MT Madman and scornwel like this.
  13. Sep 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM
    84 Yota

84 Yota [OP] New Member

Member:
    Inventory of 2017s seems to be running low now. Anyone know when the 2018s start hitting the lots? I will probably wait and make a decision once they are out.

14. Sep 5, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Archtaan

Archtaan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax. Bench seat. 4x4 5.7
    Nada yet.
    I went from a 16 TRD OR Tacoma to a Tundra Crew. Had it a year and put 25K on it. I had the trans issues bad, plus a bunch of problems. The motor is weak and the MPG's really aren't great for what it is.

15. Sep 5, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    This seems to be the case over and over and over again.

I'd love to know if new memberships on here have rapidly increased since the 3rd gen Tacoma came, particularly after people had them long enough to hate that new engine. @Bob

HUTCHJ likes this.
  16. Sep 5, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    Knooger

Knooger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited TRD Off Road CM
    I have a 2012 4Runner, I was planning on getting a Tacoma, but hearing all the complaints is a little scary. Also, I went to test drive them and the Tacoma was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, I assumed it would be pretty close to my 4Runner. I have now decided on a Tundra. I know I want the CrewMax to fit the family but I'm still researching to figure which one I'd like the best. I'm leaning Limited with TRD Off Road.

17. Sep 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    JAMES

JAMES COLORADO TUNDRA

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Colorado Tundra Crew Max MGM
    6" PC Stage II Coil Over 37x12.50x20 Toyo RT 20" Fuel Recoil Wheels N-Fab black Step Bars Splash 5% Window Tinting Clear Mask Protection Premium leather interior with 2-front Heat/Cool seats Viper 5806v Alarm w/ remote start Garmin 2589 Garmin Dash Cam Dual Flo-Pro 3.5 18" Glass Packs Black Chrome exhaust tips Bakflip Bed Cover Weather Tech Floor Mats Bushwacker Pocket style with matching paint TRD Pro Grill Tesla 12.1'' Head Unit Oh Shit handle on Drivers Side Under seating Storage 4.88 Gears NSV LED Light bar Upgraded Sound system with JL Audio Speakers and Sub
    TUNDRA! I've had 6 Tacoma's ( last one was a 2016) and Two Tundra's (most recent 2016 Crewmax)

18. Sep 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Cinco

Cinco New Member

Member:
    2018 are on the lots now. I think the TRD sport won't be out till sometime in October. I have seen Limiteds SR5 And 1794's out there now.

19. Sep 6, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    manofsteele2003

manofsteele2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    17 Super White Tundra Crewmax Limited
    TRD Pro grill and surround, paint matched door handles, mirror covers and bumper ends. Bilstein 5100's, Extang Trifecta 2.0 tonneau cover, Husky xact floor liners, LED interior light upgrade, custom HID projector headlights. Custom powder coated TSS wheels w/Falken Wildpeak AT3W's 275/60R20
    As with many of the folks here we had a 16 TRD Sport and as much as I liked the looks the performance sucked, we also had the transmission issues, a front timing cover leak and really wasn't worth the sacrifice for the few extra MPG's you get. Thought I would miss the Tacoma because of the looks because we bought a Limited Tundra and from the factory it kinda looks like an old man truck with all the chrome but after a Pro grill and getting rid of the rest of the chrome I love it and would never go back. The motor is epic, tons of power, bulletproof and I've been able to still get 19 MPG on road trips. Also the crewmax is awesome, every time we have people in the back they are so impressed with how much room is back there, plus the dog loves it.

Watt maker likes this.
  20. Sep 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    Vendeta2k

Vendeta2k Distinguished Member Of The Cement Club

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Cement CM
    2018's should be in Bozeman this week....still a handful at Lithia Toyota in Missoula and Lithia Toyota in Billings

21. Sep 6, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User
    I came from a 2015 GMC 1500 all terrain. I have a trd off road. The ride is much better on and off road. Throttle response is much better.

22. Sep 6, 2017 at 10:52 AM
    Tundrazy

Tundrazy Turd Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '17 CM Cement PRO
    All this talk of how crappy the third gen Tacomas are has me a little worried about the next gen Tundra. Hell, Consumer Reports even gives the Tacoma a 1 or 2 out of 5 reliability rating for the first time ever. I had a 2007 Tundra DC and it was literally the best truck I ever owned (aside from my current truck:)) I also had a 2015 Tacoma and absolutely regret selling that last year. Is there any hope for the fourth gen Tundra or is Mike Sweers going to F' it up too?

23. Sep 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    sticking to my gen 2 ;)

same engine/trans since 2007. 11 years. Bulletproof combo.

24. Sep 6, 2017 at 6:43 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I thought that I would have a hard time getting use to the size of a Tundra after a 2004 Sportrac, 2009 Tacoma, and 2013 Tacoma. It was much harder getting use to the small trucks. Love the room in the Crewmax. I really thought hard about a DC but wanted the rear slider. I had one in the Sporttrac. I almost never carry passengers so really did not need the extra space in Crewmax. With rebate cost was $1k or less.

25. Sep 6, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    elrob

elrob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' SR5 CM TSSOR
    Had a 16 TRD OR DC for close to a year. No issues like others, and loved the offroad capability and nimbleness offroad. However, after purchasing a 17 SR5 CM 5.7 and taking it on a 3000 mile trip from Louisiana through SW Colorado, Im not sure I would have enjoyed the trip as much if i would have still had the taco. The suspension, seats, and overall ride comfort are hard to match in any truck. The tacoma has advantages for sure, but coming from a 3/4 ton truck, you would be better served with a Tundra IMO.

26. Sep 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    HUTCHJ

HUTCHJ I can ride my bike with no handlebars

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Damn, I had no idea so man 3rd gen Tacoma owners traded to a Tundra.

I'm in the same boat. Traded my 16 Tacoma Limited for a 17 Tundra Limited. Never looked back.

27. Sep 7, 2017 at 3:08 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I traded up from a 2013 Tacoma. I told sales dude that I would not touch a Turd Gen Tacoma with a 10' pole. Tundra rides much better but I don't expect it to have the capabilities off road that the Tacoma had. One buddy on hunting ranch said my Tacoma was a billy goat.

HUTCHJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    I've had a bunch of Tacoma's one 2nd gen tundra and this 1st gen. Honestly they all have their pros and cons, loved my 05 Tacoma but the damn head gasket problems Toyota eventually fixed in the 4.0's after 2006. The 1st gen Tacoma was probably the most reliable I beat on a couple of those hard until way over 200,000 miles. The 2nd gen Tundra honestly is the one I liked the least, between it shutting off randomly at start ups to cold lifter knocking. So far the 1st gen Tundra is a close competitor to the Tacoma but I love having the extra power compared to the 3.4.

29. Sep 15, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    Burns

Burns New Member

Member:
    I am in the same situation as the OP, I have had 4 Taco's and now I am looking to get into a truck. What did he end up getting?

30. Sep 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Welcome to the forum, Burns. If you want a truck to do truck things, you simply can’t compare the Tundra to the Taco.
    I love Tacoma’s and I’ll always have a soft spot for them but they really screwed the pooch on the 3rd Gen in my opinion whereas the Tundra is a complete beast. For better or for worse, the Tundra was designed to do trucks things reliably. Because of that, it doesn’t get the best fuel economy and it doesn’t have the newest tech. What it does have is a large ballsy engine, low gearing for towing, and it's higher off the ground than the competition. The domestics also can’t touch it in the reliability department.
    Test drive both, but after one stab of the throttle, I think you’ll love the Tundra instantly.

Products Discussed in

To Top