1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hattori

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by Hattori, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jul 3, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I wouldn't offer it If that wasn't the case

Law323[QUOTED] and Hattori[OP] like this.
  2. Jul 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    You pull the trigger and just tell when it's happening

Law323 likes this.
  3. Jul 3, 2017 at 6:49 PM
    Hattori

Hattori [OP] STOP SHIMMING COILOVERS!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    In all seriousness though, IMHO LT on a jumper is best used when you have plenty of body to stuff the components on your landing. I believe a LT truck should be tubbed in the front, engine caged, full roll bar interior that extends to the back chassis which is full chromoly boxed. Running <3.5+ coil overs and bypass shocks of desired measurements ( front and rear ) along with hydro bump stops, double mount limiting straps in the rear, drive shaft limit strap, glassed out fenders, 4 link rear, 2WD so you don't have to worry about T-Case and CV axle failure. Plus MANY other features to make a dang near if not full competition jumper.

Now, this isn't saying that you have to have all of this to be "long travel" worthy, it just depends on what you're building the truck to do. LT is great on a Expo/Overland rig because you get a ton more up travel and droop which helps you clear obstacles on the trail. If your trailing is medium duty a MT setup will work just fine. A Raptor pulls about 10-11in front travel stock but can also jump with the majority of the pack, basically a MT truck. Take a Tundra and add some MT Fox, Kings, Icon's, SAW's, UCA's, beef up the knuckles and you can achieve the same along with a built rear suspension. To me MT is just a better served suspension for the novice all the way up to a experienced off-road enthusiast. You may not own Glamis but everyone is gonna know you were there if you built it right:thumbsup:

4. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Ok. Great info...even though most of what you just said is over my head :D

Next question....knowing where I live (just below treeline in the Rockies), I want to be able to travel anywhere I want without going to 37s, without sacrificing road driving (it's my daily driver), and without spending $10,000, what would you recommend for my upgrade from my toytec BOSS 2 with flattened stock leaf packs, but the desire to build the next level rig? I have a 2017 double cab that I'M not interested in tearing up...just have the capabilities to climb more bouldery stuff than I can know. I'm not afraid to go anywhere, I just don't want to tear up my truck.

Any guidance would be appreciated as I'm already looking to get more capabilities than I have already. It wouldn't happen immediately, but something to start working on. Also, I've never installed suspension but am also not scared to attempt on my own.

Whatcha got??

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Law323 and zcarpenter92 like this.
  5. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey

EDIT: I love my truck, though it feels heavy for what I carry and want to do with it. I'm afraid my flattened rear leafs are due to my desire to do more than its set up for.

6. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:16 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Installation on coilovers is a little daunting but it's really pretty straightforward. Just get a buddy that's done it before and help out. Could do it yourself but a lot better and easier with two men

7. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I'd get an AAL or icon leaf pack

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  8. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    So what youre saying is I need two buddys. I'm a little kid

zcarpenter92 and Law323[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    More than one buddy, it'll get crowded in that wheel well LOL

10. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Add a leaf won't bring em back. I need replacements. I've already been looking into Alcans and a 500lb overload. I need something to hold my bedrack and RTT

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    Honestly, you can do that on UCA's, 2.5 coilovers of your choice, AAL or a full leaf pack, 2.5 body shocks, 1 3/4 - 2in shackles. That's the versatility of MT, you can keep the majority of the OEM items like stock axles if you're 4wd, brake lines, knuckles, etc.

These are bolt on items right off the shelf and you can self train yourself on how to remove and install everything. I'm no pro or haven't worked on any racing teams but just have the desire to learn and apply.

You'd have a capable rig to expo in and still be able to drive it to work and not have to worry about heim joint noises and creaks, and various other things that are "sometimes" associated with LT, although my Deavers always like to have a conversation me when im creeping around lol!

Eclipsed & Floating and Law323 like this.
  12. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Replacements WITH AAL could try dakars. Heard good things about alcans though.
    If you're going to have the rear lifted some with beefier springs, be sure to get some rear shocks to handle the extra height

Flyinryank and Hattori[OP] like this.
  13. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    I would contact Deaver or Dakar as they can build you a custom leaf setup for your needs and match it to your choice of rear shock:thumbsup:

14. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    So, I have UCAs in the front that came with the kit. I'm not sure if you're suggesting different UCAs.

Next, are you suggesting rear coilovers???

Lastly, "body shocks." This is a new term for me. Are you referring to rears?

I've heard great things about Deavers. I wanna replace leafs because I'm so flattened out that if I see a bump from 50 yards away the truck is already on the bumpstops.

15. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    Gotcha
    Dang, if I knew you needed springs I would have gave you mine! Ill head over to your page to see what you got going on.

On the rear, just 2.5 diameter shocks. They run cooler for a extended period of time, especially if they are piggyback or remote reservoir

Body describes the overall diameter of the shock. Most common upgraded shocks are 2.0 body like the 5100's, Fox 2.0, King 2.0
    2.5's have more oil volume which keeps the shock cooler as oil moves through the valve inside during shock stroke.

Remember to try and keep this simplified so you don't cloud your brain with "what should I do" stuff. Also if you have the opportunity from members; ride in their trucks with these upgrades so you can get a feel for what you think is best for your rig. I'm biased to Fox for various reasons but if i weren't running them I'd probably be on Kings or ADS.

16. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    So, I'm sitting on a toytec BOSS 2.0 front with eibach coilovets, and back with 1 inch block. My original plan was just for asthetics, a better tide, and someone to install for me. Now, I'm wishing I would have built the lift setup for more capabilities not that the lift is bad, just not what I want now that I'm more off road than originally planning on. Stock leafs didn't handle a full load, bedrack, and RTT very well in MOAB. I hit some pretty trying trails with that kind of weight. Now I want the next step up to handle anything I throw at it

17. Jul 7, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    Dude, if you haven't yet go see the guys at alcan. They're what, two hours from you? They'll build whatever you want and local. It's on my list, but I'm still married. So it'll be a while for me, maybe by the end of the summer I'll have enough scrap copper mod money!

18. Jul 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    I have the icon. They lifted my rear about 1.25-1.5. Replaces all the leafs with exception of factory main and overload. I can't speak as to the increase handling of load but it does feel better offroad at speed and other wise.

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 7, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    That's the route I'm going as soon as I get some bigger tires. 1.5" would look weird with 275/70's. 1" is borderline LOL

20. Jul 8, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    Yea, the Alcan customs are a nice option for sure. Icon is probably the best over the counter option generally because its in stock most of the time. I have a customer that had the Icon AAL and swapped for Deaver K37 pack and liked it just a tad more but I don't think he really understands the difference in them since he not maxing them on load capacity. And then he goes to a different shop and added a 1in block to it.........:confused:

Law323 and zcarpenter92 like this.
  21. Aug 30, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
  22. Aug 30, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
  23. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......

Dude you got my cracking up with that one!

24. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    Kdgcng

Kdgcng Rock steady

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic gray tundra SR5 crewmax
    Sweet rig brotha!

Hattori[OP] likes this.
  25. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    That jump! Pitched a small tent in my pants lol. I need specs, I need moar!! Lol

26. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    LOL!! That jump is around 80-85mph and i can catch more air than that! We were just trying to get a couple shots before the cops came. Its a Mid-Travel setup, 2.5 fox's, 2.5x10 bypasses, k37's and rear 2.5 fox's, plus some other stuff:thumbsup:

27. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    Nice man! Handled like a champ! I've been looking at the Icon 3.0s with the secondary shock setup and maybe some triple bypasses in the rear

Hattori[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  28. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    +100 on that video pitching my tent!!

29. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Hattori

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra CM TRD
    Me.......
    That is a bomb setup! I was about 3/4 done with this suspension build when the Icon system was debuting. I thought about switching it up but I was already deep into this build. I'll get a little more serious with it once the 2.5x14's go in the rear with the rear shock cage! Big plans but I need to save up some more so wife dukes wont castrate me for excessive spending!

Law323 and boardude[QUOTED] like this.
  30. Aug 30, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    Damn that rear is gonna be BA!! Can't wait! I hear ya on the wife front. I always try to pitch that everything I do to the truck is for the greater good of the family. 60% of the time it works everytime lpl

Hattori[QUOTED][OP] and Law323 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top