1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has Anyone Added An Electric Fan?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by trdprobped17, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Exactly. More flow especially at low speeds and more consistent. I’ve had more cooling issues since going electric than ever with the factory setup. I’ve been contemplating just bypassing part of my fan setup to a toggle switch and leaving the damn fan on for more even, continuous cooling. Once my full hydraulic steering system gets HOT, it doesn’t like me.

There was a few guys in the Dodge crowds that did aftermarket radiators in the 2nd gens (had shit cooling anyway and a couple of high dollar fans. They did pretty good until heavy loads and slow speeds.

trdprobped17[OP] likes this.
  2. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I think this is a good way of thinking. Your Tundra was built well and you’re trying to fix a non-existing problem.

Just to put a little icing on the cake, in this thread, there has been an engineer that works for Toyota, specifically the Tundra giving you advice.

3. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    @ColoradoTJ You have a very good point. I can remember back in the day when I tried to upgrade the cooling system on my 94 Civic. The biggest mistake of my life. The HP cooling kit came with lighter racing pulleys, HP radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses. I installed it all by myself and was very proud that I did it. But, back then, there weren't any available tuners that I could install myself. I had to get the ecu mapped by an out of state company. So, removed it from my car and sent it to Cali. It came back within three days and I installed it in my car. Little did I know that the tune they put on my ecu was for a much more modified car than mine. My car immediately began to run hot an my cooling nightmare began. No matter what I did, I could never get the cooling right with the car. Even after I replaced my ecu and had the dealership reflashed it, I still had heating problems. I said, never again!!

4. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    the_midwesterner

the_midwesterner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro - Quicksand
    None, yet....
    To double down on @ColoradoTJ comments, I too have an LS in my crawler. I have a dual pass aluminum radiator and 3 SPAL fans that pull 60 amps on start up,if it’s a real hot day. 60 freaking amps!! LS engines run hot, similar to Toyota engines and I have a hard time keeping the heat out of the coolant on REALLY hot days. This is with an effectively air tight shroud. The same setup in GM trucks run fine with a thinner shittier alternator and mechanical fan.

5. Aug 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM
    trdprobped17

Member:
    I am not surprised by that LS performance issues. I stay away from all Gm vehicles just because the tend to over heat. I know that when I were on active duty in Afghanistan, all that I saw were Toyotas!! Them insurgents rode around in toyota pickups and SUVs. They never overheated it the desert heat, sand storms, or sub-zero temperatures of the winter. I have sent several rounds down range into those Toyotas engines and they seemed to keep on running just like the Energizer Bunny!! I am a die hard Toyota owner and especially Tundra owner for life. No one makes a better truck!!!

crewmaxlmt and 1UPPER like this.
  6. Aug 16, 2018 at 10:52 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    I just cleaned mine out back in the spring...was super dirty from OR.

As part I removed the fan and inner shroud...PITA. I damn near just replaced the whole thing with a Koyorad.
    www.koyorad.com
    Here's a vid of one being replaced on an '08. Same application applies for '07 - 18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqsDJWtHmBA

7. Aug 17, 2018 at 1:18 AM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    I'd just leave the factory stuff alone. Toyota has done a ton of R&D on this, its not like a 1964 Impala with a 409 big block that will overheat in traffic or after 2 passes down the drag strip because the factory cooling system isn't up to snuff(and is probably the same radiator they put in 327 cars)

8. Aug 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Electric fans have there place for saving HP but for everyday use i would stay away from them, I've worked on some GM cars with electric fans and thought they were a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. As for the the toyota cooling system i would believe it's a sound system. If you want to help cooling system especially for your location S. Florida i would use Water Wetter to help reduce the boiling point of you coolent to prevent boiling in the crucial areas of the system. I used to use it in all my race bikes to keep preignition in check. I added it to my Tundra for safety of the newly installed supercharger and to help out the after cooler performance, granted it's only going to be 60°s today in Minnatoeta lol.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/diy-supercharger-install-2016-5-7-ffv.26402/page-3#post-651304

9. Aug 17, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    Interested in this as well...
    GM and Ford went the Efan route and you don't feel any fan clutch lag when accelerating. Though my wife's expedition makes it difficult to order at a drive thru every so often. When it's 100 degrees plus with the AC on, those efans are loud...

trdprobped17[OP] and Hondoman like this.
  10. Aug 17, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Electric fans fail in the off position. mechanical ones might fail but worst case is they run all the time.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  11. Aug 17, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    Hondoman

Hondoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dfw Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4x4
    +1
    The db level on my 2014 f150 company trucks e fans are crazy loud. I usually kill it at the drive thru windows.

12. Aug 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    trdprobped17

Member:
    Very interesting. The fact that the cooling system plays such a pivotal role in engine performance, makes it one of a he most important part of a vehicle that needs to be improved upon. I’m not a mechanic, so, I will never mess with anything that I can’t handle myself. Stock will be my only choice from this day forward.

13. Aug 17, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    trdprobped17

Member:
    I already have more than enough noise to contend with in the cab of my truck. Therefore, I’ll definitely stay away from the electric fans. Thanks.

14. Aug 17, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan Amateur fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black '14 CM SR5 w/ SC; 40s on 17s; 5.29s
    I added two auxiliary 12" fans as pushers in front of the coolers and they're toggled via a switch. It's not the most ideal because it's been proven that pullers are more effective (ie. stock clutch-powered fan) but I didn't want to remove the stock fan. I've done a few rough tests almost a year ago in Summer temperatures here in San Diego. I mostly use the fans when in 4-low for long periods of time in hot weather conditions on trails; I saw, on average, about a 11-degree drop in transmission temperatures.

trdprobped17[OP] and GAknight like this.
  15. Aug 17, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    trdprobped17

Member:
    That’s interesting. All feedbacks and research materials have steered clear of recommending electric fans for the Tundra. All of those learned people can’t be wrong. With that said, I’m keeping my stock cooling system as is. Thanks for the great feedback.

16. Aug 17, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    TRD Pro Rookie

TRD Pro Rookie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    D/FW
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Nothing major
    I run efans on 67 Chevelle and they pull 50 amps. That's huge amount of energy. And WTH is a sea wart?

17. Nov 29, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    Buildingdoc

Buildingdoc New Member

Member:
    True, but that is dependent on a few factors. Those being aerodynamics, mounting location and overall engineering with coolant flow.

18. Nov 29, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Buildingdoc

Buildingdoc New Member

Member:
    So I thought about doing this for only one reason. Help with AC efficiency after a hot day in the sun or slow speeds. Increased airflow over 100* at low speed or idle will definitely assist in more AC efficiency... but unsure of the price being worth it. Did a water pump at about 145k and did a fan clutch at the same time... but same AC results. Cools great while moving or at 1500+ RPMs

Products Discussed in

To Top