1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hand gun?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by TTU19, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Wife got me a gift card to buy a gun and I want to get a hand gun that I can carry. I’ll be honest that I don’t currently own a gun and has been a long time since I’ve used one. With all the craziness in the world, it’s time to protect myself and my family.

With that being said, what guns should I look at. Really big on a Glock, but what else?

I appreciate any input as I know there are a lot of gun owners in the group. Thanks!

-Wes

ColoradoTJ and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  2. Dec 24, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Springfield Xd is a very reliable gun

3. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have a Beretta Nano that will one day be my everyday carry when I get a day to take the course. Also, been eying the Springfield XD-S 9mm.

ColoradoTJ and BuckWallace like this.
  4. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    Areith762

Areith762 Go Avs!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    .- -. - .... --- -.
    39.944182, -104.760113
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue 5.7L CM SR5 4X4
    DAP Tune, Katskin interior leather, ESP rear under seat storage, door sill protector, door edge protector, TRD Pro shift knob, heated seats, all weather Tundra floor mats, driver side a-frame handle, Tundra trucks center console emblem, clear bra protection, Bushwacker fender flares, paint match front bumper caps, paint match rear bumper caps, paint match mirror caps, ProComp 3/1 lift, 20" Fuel wheels, 33-11.50/R20 Falcon tires, black TRD Pro badge's, black Tundra tailgate badge insert, TRD Pro headlights, Recon smoked tail lights, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Roll N Lock tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Tundra bed mat, Cobra led remote alarm/remote start, N-fab tube steps, factory match window tint, TRD Pro grille -paint matched, paint matched hood bulge, TRD dual exhaust, Black out exhaust tips, led interior lights, led plate lights, Spyder smoked fog lights, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Big fan of the Springfield XD. The XDS would be good for conceal carry.

ColoradoTJ, zcarpenter92 and Jsena like this.
  5. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Go to a range and rent ones you think you would want to buy. Or go with someone that has and test them out before buying. That way you will get what feels right in your hands.

Noodle, TXDrifter, porkitt and 7 others like this.
  6. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I have the nano with extended 8 round mag. Check that. “Had” a nano. Lost it in boating accident.

7. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    Diverguy

Diverguy Breathes under water

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited TRD Offroad-Inferno
    Windows tinted, window visors. Bedrug, led bedlights, Nfab nerf step bars, Lund toneau cover, Evo One remote start, BAMufflers 8"
    One of the best defense handguns in IMO is a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor. 410 defense ammo does some nasty damage. You don't have as may rounds, but you wont need them

8. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    1BadTundra

1BadTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Rock Warrior Crewmax
    Too Much to List
    When you CC, consider the size, you want something small enough to easily conceal. Also, You want to consider what kind of "knock down power" yoiu want. I've carried Springfield XD,and a Glock 26. The XD was ok, but a little too awkward for my liking. The Glock was a stagger stack,so that was too bulky for me too. My current carry, and so far my favorite is my Ruger LC9s... Just my opinion, but I've reviewed and carry a bunch, and my preference is this... Good luck with your search.

20160821_193040-1.jpg

9. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    The most popular carry pistol by professionals is the Glock 19. This is world wide. The aftermarket for Glock is larger than any other firearm. The reliability of any of the large manufacturers polymer pistols is way higher than you will ever need to worry about.
    Like the above statement said, your best bet is to go rent several that you are curious about and see which one YOU like the most. Not the salesman. Not the Internet. Not your friend who has brand x. Your brain, eyes and grip complete the triangle and yours is different than mine. So if I love the Glock but you like the M&P, than so be it. Get the one that feels most comfortable to you and your body type. Don’t fall for any marketing hype or the salesman’s pitch.
    Any polymer will outlast you considering your statement on how often you use it. Please let me know what other questions you have.

10. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    LC9 is my other fav. Trigger could use a shorter reset tho.

Casper3 and 1BadTundra[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Blazin_Blue16

Blazin_Blue16 Huh??

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wells, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM Blazin' Blue Pearl
    +1 for go to a range that rents weapons to try out. What works best for your eyes and hands may not be what works best for mine. This question is like who's Tundra is better. You'll never get the answer until you find it. A 9mm is just as deadly as a .500 s&w in the right hands. Personally, I like the .40 XD sub compact, the G23, and my Sig229... all shoot different, but I'm most accurate with the XD.

Jsena, SouthBoundSteve and TXMiamiFan like this.
  12. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    He is brand new to pistols and does not need to worry about trigger reset or anything at this point.
    He needs a pistol and some training only.

aperezsh and rons23 like this.
  13. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    True. But should be aware of it as he considers different hand guns.

14. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    1BadTundra

1BadTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Rock Warrior Crewmax
    Too Much to List
    I'm looking at the Kimber Micro after Christmas. Its a shrunk down model of my favorite 1911... Again, just preference. Go to a reputable higher end range. Those will let you rent theirs... if not, go to a Bass Pro Shop, their gun counter is huge. You can get a hand on just about every burner on the market, under one roof. But do your own homework, don't rely on the clown behind the counter to know everything about every gun they sell. See which ones feel good, make note of your favorite 3, go home and do some internet searching on all of them. Narrow it down that way.

14tundra, Munk and TXMiamiFan like this.
  15. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    Blazin_Blue16

Blazin_Blue16 Huh??

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wells, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM Blazin' Blue Pearl
    Also a thing to keep in mind, every "gun expert" in the world likes to pound away behind their keyboards on the internet. There's insurmountable amounts of BS and arguments over who/what/when/where/why is better for the zombie apocalypse or for shooting the guy that stoles your wife's purse. You can say you like the look of X gun and find thousands of people crapping on it, 98% of which probably only don't like it because they had a friend that saw one once in a gun show on a magazine stand with Jesus holding it...

Real life handling, training, and practice is the only real answer! A good handgun safety course is a great way to handle and shoot a variety of weapons without a large expense as well!

16. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    This right here!

I'm currently looking at a Sig P238 personally. Currently carry a Kahr 380

17. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Wes, the best handgun is the gun you feel most comfortable with. All of the above mentioned will do the job, but it's what's best for you. Just like Jose mentioned, look at the one's that feel good in the hand and go to the range. I also took into account the breakdown of the firearm for cleaning and inspection. Good luck

Noodle, Law323, TXMiamiFan and 3 others like this.
  18. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    Jsena

Jsena Trend setter, not a follower!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    A Bad Bissshhhh
    7 inch BDS LIFT, 22x10 RBP wheels 37 inch Atturo MT Tires, Flowmaster, Bullydog Tuner
    I love the Springfield XD line, XDS is nice, the Trigger is a lot better in the XDM and heard good things about the MOD 2

19. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the info and everyone is right. I do need to check them all out, but I do like hearing people’s own experience with different brands.

I have a real close friend who has worked in law enforcement and so is a huge fan of Glock. I’ve held it and feels good but would probably need the pinky extension.

He told be about the Glock 43 9mm, which is smaller and a single stack mag so it’s good for carry. Again, I’d have to check it out before just buying.

20. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    Taco-Blender

Taco-Blender Old Guys Rule

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    Yup.

Also, make sure it feels right tucked away. If it's uncomfortable tucked away there'll be times when you won't carry.

Do you feel you need a larger weapon with 15 rounds? Compact with 6? Extra mags?

Personally, I don't like a bunch on crap on me or in my pockets. I carry a Walther PPS (1st Gen cuz I'm a lefty and like the paddle style mag release) in the thinnest kydex holster I could find. It's unobtrusive and doesn't feel uncomfortable when I carry so, I'm more likely to have it on me.

Also, depending on what mag I'm carrying, I can have between 7-9 rounds in the weapon and another 6-8 in my pocket, if I choose to. If I'm shorts and a t-shirt I most likely will not have an extra mag on me so I'll go with the 8+1.

14tundra and rons23[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    You can't go wrong with Glock. I shot the 42 & 43. There nice and simple breakdown. I shot the XDS, Ruger, and Walther. Walther PPS M2 won for me.

14tundra and Jsena like this.
  22. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    The point of me buying a conceal carry pistol is to carry it as much as possible. I have learned I am more likely to carry more often if the pistol is small and light. I have a few small pistols but my conceal carry pick is a Glock 42, with that said, that doesn't mean it's right for you.

If you plan to carry often, the price of a quality holster should be included in your budget.

I have been through a few, my favorite at the moment is a Black Arch Ace.

23. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    Lots of good info here. As many have suggested, if you can, go to a shop or range that will let you shoot before you buy. A local shop here allows up to 5 guns to try for $25 and will put that money towards the purchase price if you choose to buy one. For 4 years I've carried a Springfield XDs 9mm, prior to that a Kahr CM9 and occasionally a Ruger SP101 revolver. I Love my XDs, it fits me, I shoot it well and shoot it well fast. I like the Kahr but never was proficient with it and that didn't make me confident carrying it, although I did for several years. I personally ruled out Glock because of all of the ones I've shot none of them fit me very well. The 43 might be different though, I haven' t shot one yet. Glock, Springfield, SIG and Ruger all have some great guns but they all feel different to different folks. Single stack guns are great for concealment but know going in that smaller isn't always better and smallish, short barreled, short sight radius guns do take some getting used to. Whatever your choice, make sure it fits you, that you're comfortable shooting it and can shoot it accurately at a defensive distance. Some other things to consider if you're going for a carry gun is that a good quality holster and a belt meant to support the extra weight make a huge difference between carrying and carrying confidently and comfortably. A concealed carry course is also a good idea. Not just one that teaches gun safety but one that explains the rules and laws and how they apply to you when you're armed.

24. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    S&W M&P Shield. I carry the 9mm, no safeties. Also in .40 S&W or .45 caliber. Your choice

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    JH5370 likes this.
  25. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    NoMoTaco

NoMoTaco New Member

Member:
    Bluffton SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra DC TRD OR Silver
    I can’t tell you what to buy. I can tell you what i do.

9mm- fast follow ups, bullet technology has come Long way.

Hot summers: Springfield XDs 3.3” which is small single stack. (7-8rds) I find that this handgun hides easy on my body type. Always with me Law permitting.

Colder weather or long x-country drives:
    HK VP9 15 rds. Wearing heavier or more clothes it’s easier to hide. Long rides with 4 mags just warms my heart! Lol

I buy what i will carry. No sense having a gun that is uncomfortable to carry or difficult to hide. (It will end up at home when i need it)

My $0.02.

Best of luck and go shoot a lot!

Merry Christmas
    -NoMoTaco

26. Dec 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Billy Love

Billy Love New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    william
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Platinum 4x4
    I have many handguns. Glock, sig, cz, hk. If I could only keep one it would be the glock G19.

JH5370 and Zero One Actual like this.
  27. Dec 24, 2017 at 8:57 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    I'm a Glock guy, but I have many friends who cannot shoot them to save their lives

I'm also an FN guy...haven't met anyone who didn't like my 509 or my FNS9

Had 3 different XDs...hated them personally

have had 3 or 4 1911s...i'm a terrible shot with them

Ruger SP101 is my go to 357

28. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I’m a Glock hooker, but I have been seriously looking at a CZ due to one of our members on here. Damn you @Backslider :thumbsup:

My choice is due to when I need it to go bang, in the worse conditions, it will. Your safety is your pointer finger, and takes a lot of practice and good habits to own a weapon without mechanical safeties. The same can be said about having mechanical safeties when in a stressful gun battle. I chose to have finger discipline.

I have also owned Springfield’s and they are top notch weapons. The last XD I shot a few hundred rounds though was an XDm .40. That is a fine weapon and I really do not like the .40 cal round much, if that says anything.

I recommend going to a gun range and renting what feels good in your hand and try it out. Hell, I don’t like the feel of my G19 I carry everywhere, but I shoot it well. :laser:
    Just remember, shot placement and coming back on Target is better than having a .500 grain bullet you miss with 90% of the time. Trust me, if you hit someone with a 123g bullet a couple times, they are going to stop what their doing and have an mind blowing epiphany (quite literally if you’re skilled enough for a head shot).

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  29. Dec 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 L8T
    If you can go try some out that'd be your best bet. Get what feels best to you. If you like Glocks I'd also check out the Springfield XD-S series (as others have said). They're striker-fired polymer framed and are extremely reliable. It's usually a toss-up on whether people prefer Glock or XD grips.

Either way, have fun shopping and congrats on your Christmas gift!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  30. Dec 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM
    acmesupply

acmesupply New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Silver TRD
    I carry guns that are used as tools and are similar in operation if not the same. Glock 26, Glock 35. But for constant concealed carry year round in all temperatures I use a Ruger LCR in .38 5 shot in a DeSantis front pocket holster. So all are 4-6 pound triggers, and all pull the trigger right out of the holster.

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top