1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Half Shaft Issue

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by shovel_head2001, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Apr 27, 2024 at 2:28 PM
    shovel_head2001

shovel_head2001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    2004 SR5 4.7, automatic, 4 door, 4WD.

Front driver side half shaft started leaking at seal next to differential. It appeared to have pulled out of the differential about .25”-.5”allowing the differential fluid to drain out. The dealer was several months back ordered with PN 43430-0C010 so I replaced the half shaft with Napa PN 94-4041 (dealer stated it was the OEM match) and it does the same thing. It will pull out of the differential about 1/4-1/2”.

Is there supposed to be a snap ring at the inner shaft that pushes into the differential? The new one did not come with one. If so, does anyone have the Toyota part number?

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 27, 2024 at 2:49 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    There should he a ring that sits in the groove on the inner splined end of the CV axle. Did the original one that you initially removed not have one either? They both should have. I don't know if it's available separately. I might suggest that you see if the auto parts store has another shaft and then before leaving, check that the retaining ring is there. I also don't know if a hardware store would have something suitable as a substitute. Either way, there should've been a retaining ring.

Edit: The NAPA axles aren't as strong at the Toyota ones. The NAPA ones are cast, the Toyota one are probably machined.

upload_2024-4-27_21-43-35.jpg

Mr Badwrench likes this.
  3. Apr 27, 2024 at 3:42 PM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    There should be a snap ring, yes. I had okay luck with my NAPA half shafts but I had a boot tear on me at fewer than 30k miles on it. The fitment was okay and there was no vibration. Finding some original parts for the gen 1 Tundra is now like finding stuff for the international space station.. ain't gonna happen. It sucks especially considering there are so many still on the road.

Wynnded likes this.
  4. Apr 27, 2024 at 5:10 PM
    shovel_head2001

shovel_head2001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    This helps me a lot guys! Thank you!

I will probably have to just get a retainer ring and use the Napa half shaft until one comes available at the dealer. I was told several months before their backorder would come in.

Does anyone know of another OEM source that may be quicker?

Mr Badwrench likes this.
  5. Apr 27, 2024 at 5:20 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Outside of doing an online search with the part number and seeing what the various results from dealerships are, I don't.

6. Apr 30, 2024 at 1:06 AM
    ToyotaDude

ToyotaDude New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC V8 4x4
    Drive Shaft Snap Ring
    Part #4342504020

Replaceable part when removing/installing axle per FSM.

Wynnded likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top