1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GY Ultra-Terrain AT better than Toyo AT III

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by IowaGuy, May 24, 2023.

1. May 24, 2023 at 5:02 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    I was at discount tire today for a flat on my work vehicle. While I was there I priced out AT tires in 275/70/18 in Toyo, Goodyear and Falken. The guys at the counter told me that they thought the Goodyear Ultra-Terrain AT is a better tire than the Toyo AT III. The GY is the Discount Tires house brand tire made or sold there.

I kinda scoffed at their opinion on this and thought I would ask here. IDK if they were trying to get a bigger profit margin on the GY's or pushing the cheaper option to try and get me to purchase them or just not really that knowledgeable. Most everything I have read on there says that the Toyo's are incredible.

2. May 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I have also wondered about the GY ultra terrains. Initially, being a house brand only gives me pause for the reason you mentioned. But I’ve had good luck with the Big O A/T tires (they are/were made by Cooper and had a lot of similar characteristics to my Cooper AT’s) so I try not to automatically rule house brands out anymore.

That said, I for one, did not like the Toyo AT3’s. They buzzed. At 40 mph and above. My cab has extra sound deadening and I have a mild exhaust; I could hear the buzz above both of those. But they did ride nicely, if a bit on the soft side.

The ultra terrains look like a mish mash of tire designs but remind me of the old Revo AT’s and Falken Wildoeak AT’s of yesteryear with an updated design. I find very few reviews on them.

3. May 24, 2023 at 5:27 PM
    IsaiahCanada

IsaiahCanada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaiah
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4
    2.5 inch lift, TRD front and rear sway bars, 33 inch Open Country AT3 305/55R20 and dual TRD exhaust.
    Toyo Open Country AT3's are the best tire I have ever ran. I don't find them buzzy at all and they are amazing in the winter.

ackthresher likes this.
  4. May 24, 2023 at 6:01 PM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    Can’t speaker for the GYs but I’ve ran a lot of tires over the years including ridge grapplers, duratracs, wildpeak at3w, hankook dynapros, Atturo X/Ts, Terra grapplers, Cooper STTs, General grabbers, BFG ATs, Kenda R/Ts. Lots of good tires I liked but my favorite was Toyo ATIIs. That said this last time around I went with Toyo ATIII’s as I felt it was the premier AT tire and they’re great so far.

IsaiahCanada likes this.
  5. May 24, 2023 at 6:05 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    My biggest dilemma right now is that I only put @ 10k miles a year on my truck. If I purchase a more expensive tire then they probably will not be worn out in 6 years and I might not even reach the warranty milage in 6 years. I realize 6 years is not then end all but they wont patch them if they are that old and they recommend replacing past 6 years. The AZ heat and sun is really tough on tires.

With that said a quality tire I know will perform well is important to me also.

6. May 24, 2023 at 6:15 PM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat

Products Discussed in

To Top