1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Growing Family.... Outgrown the Tundra and may have to part ways =(

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Devildawg712, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:20 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    Take a look at the Mdx or the newly updated Mdx. 3 rows, sh_awd, Honda reliability and decent mpg. Or If you can wait for the type s model it will have a turbo. We have a 16 and I sold my Evo x for it. Very surprised how well it performs power and handling. I too refused to go the minivan route despite knowing how family friendly they are.

2. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:18 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Sequoia... I have read way too many complaints about the Denali and all other GM products, they are terrible.

3. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:22 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    I see everyone is saying sequoia, but a 3rd row Hilander tricked out would be modern and much nicer They are basically a mini van without looking like one. Get it blacked out and they look good.

Sequoia is ugly and low tech for the money imo.

4. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:30 AM
    rhaliuk

rhaliuk New Member

Member:
    I cant stand sequoias. Interior looks archaic. I just saw a black highlander and dang its not bad. No kids for me lol

5. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:53 AM
    tundraatx

tundraatx 2008 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    The wife wouldn’t drive the huge sequoia plus the mpg wasnt an option for driving nearly to downtown and back for work coming far up north. Settled on a 14 highlander xle with middle bench seat in 2nd row. Super easy to get car seats in and out. Third row is definitely cramp and a top complaint for us and of most families.we took a short trip down to Lockhart for some bbq about 45 min away with 4 adults and the baby with car seat. Everyone fit fine in the front and 2nd row. Didn’t need to put anyone in the third row.

Toyota is coming out with a grand highlander to address a wider wheel base but didn’t read that it would have an extended wheel base. Highlander mpg is good for its size.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  6. Feb 25, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road

Congrats, and enjoy the new ride!!!

-T

tundraatx[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 25, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    tundraatx

tundraatx 2008 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    I can't give up the reliability from Toyota. My mechanics drive fords and chevy trucks. They seem to just accept the various smaller, medium, to large problems that happen. They agree with me that dodge is the worst of the big 3. That said, they tend to use the argument that all these trucks have various issues and you just address them. I finally got my ford driving mechanic when he mentioned doing some major work on his f250 2007..Well "it's got 200k," and like a smart-ass I said man I have 238k and haven't had those same issues. It's not apples to apples of course with a tundra vs f250, but the same argument could be made with the tundra and f150. When I read about major engine issues with the ford 150s as new as 2018+ that are affecting huge numbers, the QA isn't there. Even if the new tundras are experiencing some of their own quality issues with the engines, it is still far less than the big 3.

I've had regular maintenance and 1 major repairs one for a TSB issue that affected 07-08's and took 13 years to fail. 13 fricken years. The big maintenance, not really a repair, was getting the original rack and pinion replaced. To me that shows that the tundra stands up to the test of time.

I know if I stepped into enemy territory with the big 3 and something really bad happened, I'd be the first to kick my own ass for knowing better and still doing stupid.

The sequoia is just the Tundra in SUV form, so Sequoia if you can get it.

Boerseun and Rex Kramer[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Feb 25, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    We're at 140k in our Yukon XL with no expensive repair bills yet. I also got 260k out of our previous Suburban on the original drivetrain. It had a few electrical gremlins, so we traded it in. They're no Toyotas, but they're decent vehicles. And nothing touches the interior space.

Like others have said, if there were such a thing as a Sequoia XL that didn't make us choose between cargo space and using the 3rd row, we'd be in it in a heartbeat.

AZBoatHauler and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  9. Feb 25, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    In OP's situation I will always suggest the minivan first. We have had 4 over the years, 3 of them Odysseys and there is just nothing that beats it from a practical utilitarian viewpoint. I don't have "image" issues so I don't care what others think when I drive the minivan - to me it is using the best tool for the job.

But I do understand that it is not for everyone:
    Sequoia is cool second option, especially if you wan to do a Tundra front-end swap or something to make it more modern and unique.
    Highlander would be an option too. Smaller than the Sequoia of course, but can still have 3 rows of seats.

BUT, final suggestion:
    With 3 kids and a dog I think the Tundra CM still has enough space to handle all that. Older kids will be in booster seats that takes up less space and before you know it they will outgrow the boosters and the one in the car seat will be in a small booster. Long term I would keep the Tundra.

And, as a side note, circling back to the minivan, it doesn't have to be boring or soccer-mom....

upload_2021-2-25_10-18-47.jpg

Twowheelssoar and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  10. Feb 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    For reference, my friend has a Civic and he can put his 9 year old, 6 year old and 3 year old in the back seat. Certainly the chesterfield-sized rear seat in the Tundra CM should be more than enough for 3 kids plus a dog.

Boerseun likes this.
  11. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    Twowheelssoar

Twowheelssoar New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement SR5 6-Seater
    Has your wife driven a Sienna? I have 4 kids (aged 2-9). No dog right now. Looked at replacing our '15 Sienna with a Sequoia. The lack of space in the Sequoia compared to the Sienna was a deal braker. The realization was that the only thing with a similar amount of space to a minivan is a Suburban/Yukon XL, or you can go next level and get a Sprinter. We ended up getting the new Tundra (with front bench so can fit the whole family for winter mountain trips) and keeping our Sienna. May go with an AWD Sienna (see attached photo for potential with lift, etc.) at some point, or a 4x4 Sprinter when we move to the mountains.

I tell people that the Sienna is the most "painfully practical" vehicle you can get. Everything else is a compromise for a family of 5+, unless you want to drop $80k+ on a Suburban/Yukon XL that will fall apart on you, or drive around in a gigantic Sprinter.

As for the Highlander suggestions, our Sienna replaced a '15 Highlander. In my opinion, it was way too small for a family of 5, let alone 6. The third row is way too small for anyone taller than 5' and the storage space is tiny with the 3rd row up. Same for a Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot, etc.

Don't get rid of your sweet Tundra. Ditch the Jeep.

IMG_7535.jpg

Boerseun likes this.
  12. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    Burdturger

Burdturger New Member

Member:
    2022-Acura-MDX7-1536x922.jpg
    2022-Acura-MDX20-1536x922.jpg
    2022-Acura-MDX17-1536x922.jpg

1.jpg

maxdriver and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  13. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    In my experience, when you get into the bigger platforms (Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline), they’re not very reliable at all. Several friends have Odysseys as their family haulers. One guy uses it for his 3-piece band’s touring vehicle. More of them than not have transmission issues. My friend with the band buys a new one every 80k because he loves it and that’s when the trans crapped out in his first one. He’s on his third. Why he doesn’t look at a Sienna I’ll never understand...

Honda/Acura’s ratings at Dashboard Light aren’t the greatest, either. 36/100 for the Odyssey and 47/100 for the MDX.

I’d have to have the lifetime power train warranty from Honda if I were to buy one of those vehicles.

14. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

I second this, Honda quality has gone way down. As previously mentioned I bought a CRV with a known engine harmonic that caused significant vibration in the steering wheel and seat, and Honda continued to sell them even though they knew this was an issue. A class action lawsuit happened, which they deserved, and they then redesigned it as that was the only way to get rid of the problem. Before I bought my highlander I test drove another CRV, as I was thinking of downsizing, and the thing stalled as I was backing it up, and it was a brand new one!! The CRV they redesigned had issues with oil leaking into the gas, and my mom has one of those, they at least extended the warrantees a few years extra. A friend bought a Pilot a couple years ago and it was in the shop more than it was on the road, so anyway, I no longer trust Honda.

It's unfortunate, but overall Honda quality, in my opinion, no longer exists!

-T

15. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    grandmabetty

grandmabetty New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SX
    Well that's too bad to hear about your guys experience with Honda. Just bought a 2021 odyssey. Let's hope for many trouble free miles. In either case you win some you lose some

16. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Which engine is in that CRV? I know they had the same issue with the 1.5T in the Civics bit, in my opinion, that's not enough engine for a CRV.

17. Feb 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    You will be fine. We have had 3 Odysseys. First one 211,000 miles, and last one more than 160,000. Never any significant issues. They did have transmission problems but I think it has been resolved. I never had that on ours, so it was hit or miss for people. Back in 2010 through 2012-ish they started cutting on R&D budget and stopped test fitting components from different suppliers. That bit them in the ass and they realized it, so they are now back on track. Hondas are reliable. I prefer Toyota and my wife Honda, and either one is welcome in my driveway (although my wife currently drives a Toyota).

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  18. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    maxdriver

maxdriver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 GRolla, sans ‘19 Tundra
    Gave my 2006 Ridgeline to my son a couple of years ago. He is still driving it daily and is closing in on 200k miles. Nothing but routine maintenance on the stock engine and transmission....

Cpl_Punishment and Boerseun like this.
  19. Feb 28, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
  20. Mar 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2020 Marine Corps Green Sequoia. (SEQUNDRA) Past~~ 17' Cement TRD PRO (FUNDRA)
    Tundra sold for waay more than I expected. Decided to go with a 2020 Sequoia and flying to LA for it next week. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Even all the diehard minivan supporters. =p

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  21. Mar 5, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    maxdriver

maxdriver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 GRolla, sans ‘19 Tundra
    Congrats....post some pics when you have it!

Devildawg712[OP] likes this.
  22. Mar 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

Member:
    Saw your Tundra on CL the other day.

I’m also interested in a Sequoia for a few reasons. It fits in my garage for starters, Tundra CM technically can but I’d be kissing the wall. I can also sleep in it after a off road trip. And most importantly, I bought a bunch of stuff in anticipation for my Tundra so I’d still be able to use it on the Sequoia.

23. Mar 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    grandmabetty

grandmabetty New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SX
    I can lay down in the back of the crewmax. I'm only 5' 9" though.

Ever since I got married this is a requirement for any vehicle I own

24. Mar 6, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    737fixer

737fixer New Member

Member:
    Please let me step in real quick and help anyone else from entering this thread: 51ZnUn7kmgL.jpg

aRabidLunatic likes this.
  25. Mar 6, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

Member:
    20 years ago 5’ 9” was sufficiently tall. Now people say “only” like everyone’s built like an oak tree nowadays. But that’s good since I’m only 5’ 3”. I can sleep anywhere.

I’m small enough to be able to share the inside of a Sequoia with gear on one side and myself on the other. Also single, so no need to make space for anyone else.

At least that’s my rationale for a Sequoia. The IRS is a bit strange to me but my off roading would mainly just be dirt road type deals. I had a LT 4Runner before that I barely got to use.

26. Jul 25, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2020 Marine Corps Green Sequoia. (SEQUNDRA) Past~~ 17' Cement TRD PRO (FUNDRA)
  27. Jul 25, 2022 at 6:54 PM
    EarlyRiser

EarlyRiser New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tundra SR5
  28. Jul 25, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    rhaliuk

rhaliuk New Member

Member:
    Congrats!!! Personally, I can't get over the interior in those. It seems like it got stuck in 2013. If I could afford one + gas, I would give it a shot.

Products Discussed in

To Top