1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grinding sound/feel on front end

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by ColoradoTJ, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Aug 17, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Done. The factory old needle bearings lasted 78K. I will not have this truck for another 78K, so I should be good to go.

We are going to look at commuter cars here really quick. No need to beat up a truck taking kids to school and swim team practice.

2. Aug 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Wouldn't happen to have that TSB handy do you.

3. Aug 17, 2016 at 7:15 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    JC303 and ColoradoTJ[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 18, 2016 at 8:22 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Today I called the other Toyota dealership service department in my city. Total different experience. I'm pretty sure my family is black balled from the dealership I have been messing around with aaaalllllllllllllll week long. Over the past 15 years, this dealership has lost 5 sales and was busted trying to rip off my wife. I caught them red handed and it was sent up the chain of command.

I called up and asked:

Q) Would do my front differential swap.

A) Sure, we would enjoy to earn your business. Let me check to see if we have a new differential to get this job done for you. Would you like to wait or call back? I will call you back in less than 5 min.

4 minutes later I get a call back.

Service) We do not have one in Colorado right now. However, there is one in KC, MO. I have already had this shipped to me on priority and it will be in tomorrow morning before 7am so we can get your truck back before the weekend and repaired. How does tomorrow work for you Mr. Chris? Have you been here before?

Chris) Perfect. How long with this job take? No, I have not been at your dealership for service. My Toyota's don't have a habit of breaking down. I did buy my last two trucks from this dealership though.

Service) Perfect. Glad your Toyota experience has been outstanding. 4-5 hours max. We have done a few. Pretty easy job for our techs. Why do you ask?

Chris) A wheel bearing took all day.

Service) That is ridiculous. See you tomorrow morning, coffee is hot.

Pretty much from now on, I will just plan on driving the 40 miles extra round trip to get my service done if needed. I have waisted a whole week of vacation this week going back and fourth from this other dealership. The courtesy driver and I are on first name basis. That is not something to be proud of.

2cID, zcarpenter92, driverdog and 3 others like this.
  5. Aug 20, 2016 at 2:01 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The differential was swapped out without too much trouble. Corporate Toyota wanted the dealership to just swap out the bearing. The service advisor asked "which one do you want us to change?" So there was a little back and fourth but it was decided to just swap the unit out.

To my surprise the truck was done in 4.25 hours and drives great again. Very different experience.

If you really know me, I just can't help but to toss a bucket of gas on a fire and asked about my shocks and the "lift" of .75". The advisor just pointed to a few trucks on the showroom floor and that was enough said. (All had Toytec Boss lifts)

Here is the damage if I was out of warrantee and had the dealership do the work.

Front wheel bearing: I was first quoted 1050.00. I have no proof of that, but remember very well. After the first dealer replaced the wheel bearing the cost was 415.00. This did not fix my problem. Not sure how this would have been handled if this was on my dime and not theirs. Somehow, I feel all labor would have been refunded to me. Still would have pissed me off. This cost me 50.00.

Front differential: I was a little shocked at this cost, and pretty glad I took @LOTSOFTOYS advice on just replacing the unit. Final cost on this was just shy of 2400.00. I will update this when it isn't raining outside and the paperwork is more available. I am not sure what the cost would have been if outside warrantee and on my doller either (since the front wheel bearing cost changed). This cost me 50.00.

2815.00 total cost of fixing my truck correctly, not including this week not having my truck 4 days. Not everyone can be without a vehicle that long. Normally I wouldn't either, and a rental would have been needed.

In reality, if this was on me to diagnose and repair, the bushing from ECGS would have been purchased (with all tooling/parts) for 187.00 and I would have been cussing for a few hours doing this myself. Worse case scenario if I would have ate a big bowl of dumbass for breakfast and went right for the wheel bearing would have been anywhere from 80-200.00 to repair in added cost.

So there you have it. I found a good dealer/service center that earned my future sales (they have had two purchases already since April 13') and any service that I do not want to perform. The other dealership can eat a bag of dicks. We will not step foot inside there again...ever. Period. (With the exception of the parts dept)

This makes me wonder about getting an extended warrantee for the Tacoma as well. I did talk to the service writer about extending the warrantee on the Tundra. He told me for just under 2700.00 cost, this would give me 100k miles more, up to 200k miles. Something I may concider if we keep this truck as our primary tow rig. Future big cost items are:

AIP system
    Transmission
    Rear diff

Looking back through records, the camper was towed 4300 miles this summer, flatbed trailer was 1568 miles with various loads. Soon my toy will be completed and usually I would average 5-8k miles of towing in the past. All this is being concidered and calculated on future/past cost per mile ownership.

Thanks everyone that offered sound advice to get this done.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    driverdog and bandit like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2016 at 2:40 AM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra
  7. Aug 20, 2016 at 2:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Do you ever sleep bro? Lol.

8. Aug 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra
    b5bt1o.jpg

2cID likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top