1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Green spot in plastic

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BigGuy31, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Aug 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    dgeesmith

dgeesmith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition
    I have one right on my door jam - rear passenger drivers side. I will bring it up on my first service call at 5K

2. Aug 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    dgeesmith

dgeesmith New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition
  3. Aug 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    JTcustoms

JTcustoms Build In Progress...

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CrewMax Limited 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Tinted Windows, Color Keyed Fender Flares, Interior LED, TRD Pro dual exhaust, many more in progress.
    Hey guys to shed some positivity on this issue.... if you have a heat gun or blow dryer you can heat up the spot and gently push it with your thumb and it goes away (be careful to not overheat). It works best on the scratches but I took some time with my heat gun today and got rid of the larger spots in my truck today. Also I called my local dealership last week and they stated it has been brought to their attention and they will more than likely replace the entire door panel upon inspection. If the problem gets out of hand I am going to wait until they have a new "run" of panels without the dye issues and get them swapped out. Just thought id share with you guys.... HOPE! lol

tat2ude39 likes this.
  4. Aug 23, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks! This is obviously wide spread and Toyota is going to have to do something about it.

5. Aug 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    Fortunate One

Fortunate One New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Red TRD Pro, 93 MKIV Supra TT
    AFE Intake
    That's awesome news!

6. Aug 23, 2015 at 9:40 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I can see someone trying this and deforming or melting the plastic. BE CAREFUL!

7. Aug 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Definitely seems like several if not most Alien green spot issues are stress point related. :alien: Seriously, Toyota should be aware of this issue by now. TOYOTA>>>>> :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: (no big deal, hah hah hah )

8. Aug 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Back home?, done with summer travails? Haven't heard from you in a while.

9. Aug 30, 2015 at 11:52 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax ~ ARMY GREEN
    Hi Matt... I've been back, just been very busy with some work and doc appts. Running ragged, lol. I'll try not to be such a stranger. Should have more free time soon. Have a few things I want to do to truck just waiting for some cooler weather. Much too hot and humid here this whole month of August.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 31, 2015 at 5:37 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I can imagine that working in 100+ heat can suck. Good to hear from you.

11. Sep 1, 2015 at 1:01 PM
    matthewriley183

matthewriley183 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 land rover disco 2
    2in lift 33in tires front and rear arb bumper winch
    ok im fixing to buy a new tundra and im looking at the sr5 special edition and now im reading all about the green spots. have they fixed the problem on the 2015 or should I wait another year.

12. Sep 1, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    They have not fixed it on the 15's. Mine has one spot. It would not stop me from buying one though.

13. Sep 1, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    matthewriley183

matthewriley183 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 land rover disco 2
    2in lift 33in tires front and rear arb bumper winch
    ya I agree on that part. I guess if they are willing to fix it when it happens I guess your good to go. thanks for the help.

mdavis likes this.
  14. Sep 1, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    Mr.Green

Mr.Green New Member

Member:
    Nobody knows if they're going to fix anything - just saying... Make sure to ask your dealer if he knows anything about this problem. It's not clear what is causing it and how all these doors will look in a couple of years.

Wouldn't stop me either.

15. Sep 1, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    Fortunate One

Fortunate One New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Red TRD Pro, 93 MKIV Supra TT
    AFE Intake
    I live in California but I got my Pro from Texas.

I texted the salesmen a picture of my door and asked if he had heard of the problem. He got one of the other salesmen that has a 2014 tundra and when they looked at his doors he also had green spots. He told me he had not heard or seen this problem and either had the other salesmen until I told them.

He said if I was there, they would just warranty it and that my local dealer should do the same. I hope they do...

16. Oct 9, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    2015_1794crewmax

2015_1794crewmax JBO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona red 1794 crew max
    Daystar leveling kit 20" gear chrome wheels Factory tri-fold bed cover Chrome billet grille 6" chrome running boards Black lettering in the tailgate De-badged Hand painted gray pin strip Headlight revolutions L.E.D license plate Headlight revolutions L.E.D. interior kit
    ??Update??

Just bought a 2015 used only 8,000 miles and its got at least 7 green spots that I've found. Has anyone cleared up weather it's covered by Toyota or if it just depends on the dealership you go to?

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I had a discoloration on my driver side rear door. Showed it to the service manager and they changed it out with a new one. Although it was kind of my fault, I was cleaning greasy fingerprints off of it and got a little aggressive. The color underneath the black is white plastic so be careful.

18. Oct 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    I don't see were it has been mentioned but is this only on black interiors? All the pictures are of black panels. But I think the 1794 and the graphite interior also use the black door panels.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  19. Oct 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I have a limited and have a green spot (1) but door panels are black

20. Oct 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    Nit2wn

Nit2wn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Crewmax TRD 4wd
    Just a tip for the discoloration or what I call stretch marks. A good hair dryer or a heat gun on a low setting will take them out on most any color. I did it on my Ford with a grey interior. I don't recommend pushing on the area while you're heating it. The polking and prodding could leave a mark itself while the plastic is hot and soft. Just slowly work the heat into it until it disappears or lightens up. It make even take a few times of it. However, if you're vehicle is under a warranty, only do this as a last resort. I'd hold a dealer to fixing this first. Most of the pics seem to show where the panel has an area on the back where it snaps onto the door or a reinforcing seem or area. If you hit a panel too hard while installing one, you can get those kinds of marks where the clips attach it to the door or the plastic braces are on the back of the panel. Now, I'm off to inspect my 2013.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Mr.Green and Wynnded like this.
  21. Oct 10, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    Mr.Green

Mr.Green New Member

Member:
    Yes that's true, and if the spots can be fixed with a heat gun this means that the plastic is the same color the whole way through, i.e. not painted. But a black plastic door panel would more likely become grey if incorrectly installed at the clips, not green.

22. Oct 11, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    Nit2wn

Nit2wn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 Crewmax TRD 4wd
    Must be a 3rd gen problem as I didn't see any on my 13. There are a few companies that make interior paint for door panels in OEM colors. It's not cheap, I remember maybe $20+ a can, but it's very close to spot on. I bought some for a gauge pod on my old Superduty and it was perfect on color, just a little glossier. If any of you get desperate, I'll find the can and see if I can find the place where it came from. It's been 6-8 years since I've bought any. You can also find a detail or bodyshop and they have people who fix and touch up trim and color blemishes.

corc305 likes this.
  23. Nov 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM
    Midmo_tundra

Midmo_tundra New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    For those that are dealing with this issue. I was in for service a few months ago and I mentioned this. My warranty claim was denied by the dealership because they said something like germ-x probably got on the doors. So I was due for another oil change this week and I wanted them to look at it again (the door seal was falling down also).
    Apparently Toyota people (dressed in suits) were in the dealership that day from headquarters. They looked at my truck (said they liked my modifications and took pictures of my truck) and they decided to replace my trim pieces that had these green spots (both front door panels and the drivers side seat trim where the power seat controls are). I just picked up the truck and I noticed the new panels have "reinforcement tabs" inside where the cup holders are near the pressure points where my old panels had green spots. I can't get my camera inside there to take a picture, but I am 99% sure my original door panels did not have these "reinforcement tabs".

Sad part is when they replaced my seat trim the lumbar support control keeps blowing fuses. So they have a new lumbar button on order to get fixed under warranty next week.

Hate to say it, but my 2011 and 2010 Tundra's didn't have half of the issues this 14 (currently have 18,1xxK miles) is having. I've had things replaced under warranty that were never an issue on my 11 (traded at ~37k miles) or my 10 (totaled at ~57k miles).

Wynnded likes this.
  24. Nov 12, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    First year for a new body style (kind of) usually comes.with some small issues, even from Toyota...

25. Nov 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    Jc77

Jc77 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 limited crewmax Trd
    I have a 14 cm with green spots

26. Nov 14, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I woke up one day with green spots. ;):rofl:

27. Dec 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM
    Lee's rig

Lee's rig Party naked

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    North nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC and 2014 single cab both 8' bed with 5.7
    To many
    IMG_20151202_160045993.jpg IMG_20151202_160033147.jpg Got it on the DC 2014 . just one spot . super white sucks but I like white

28. Dec 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I literally have that white spot right where yours is. That is from the pressure point of the bracing behind the panel. I thought I read earlier that they revise this with a little bit of webbing off of the brace. It's from pushing on it too hard or just pressure.

Lee's rig[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Dec 2, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    Lee's rig

Lee's rig Party naked

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    North nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC and 2014 single cab both 8' bed with 5.7
    To many
    Saw that too. I just have those two. It is a sr work truck so not a big deal to me. If it does eventually get worse or anoy me I will try the hair dryer truck the other guy was speaking of

15whtrd likes this.
  30. Dec 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM
    obsidian

obsidian New Member

Member:
    Yesterday I bought a 2016 SR5 CM Tundra and was reading about mods last night when I came upon this topic. The truck has 50 miles on it and that is mostly from my test driving. It had 5 miles on it when I took the first test drive. The truck has only been cleaned by the dealership. This morning I took a look at my truck to see if I could see these spots and sure enough... Rear drivers side door panel has 3 spots (see pictures below). The other 3 panels appear to be okay. I am a long time Toyota owner (4Runner, 2 camrys, sienna). I have always been happy with Toyota and their service so I am not super nervous about this issue.

I went to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and talked to the store manager which I know quite well along with a couple of the service techs and nobody had heard of this problem. I showed them this forum and some of the pictures and they assured me it could be taken care of under warranty. I'll probably have them look at it when I bring it in for a clear bra install and see if they can fix it or replace the door panel or something. I will wait and see.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top