1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS delay

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by felixth, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    felixth

felixth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    Nothing yet :)
    Hey guys, I tried to do a search on this and wasnt able to find anything. Also its one of those searches in which I wasnt sure what to call it. Here is my issue. I have a 2014 CrewMax with GPS, not sure which audio system I have though. My issue is that the GPS seems 10 maybe even 20 feet off. So a example would be if you are looking for a street and two streets are within that 10 to 20 feet you could easily take the wrong one. My wife has 2011 Avalon with GPS and they look identical and her screen is very close. I have missed turns before because of this delay. Has anyone else ever noticed that or do I have a issue? I am still under the extended warranty so I feel like it would be covered but I didnt want to talk to them unless it was a issue with just me. If its a tundra thing, I get it and will just deal with it. Thanks in advance!

2. Jul 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Could just need an update. I never use their GPS. Just not a huge fan of their layout.

3. Jul 10, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Use the front or top of the circle as your guide, not the point of the arrow. Also, gps are only accurate to 3-4 meters.

2 streets within 10-20' sounds like poor civil engineering to me.
    Anyways, maybe slow down more as you near your turn, exit, destination.

4. Jul 12, 2017 at 4:58 AM
    felixth

felixth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    I appreciate the replies, civil engineering issues aside, that is how "off" my GPS is. My wife has the same type of system in her Avalon and its spot on. Speed doesn't seem to effect it much, however it does seem like if i have a destination entered in it does do a little better. Such as when it "beeps/dings" when you get to your turn it does seem to be more accurate. I will check with the dealer the next time I am there to see if it needs the update. Sean do I have any other options as far as the layout is concerned? I have heard people buying a "card" to update and maybe giving a better picture/image.

5. Jul 12, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    @felixth -

Check eBay. There's a name on the card like "OE-183" or something similar. I have the 183. I paid $20 for it. It's been great for me. I think there might be one that's newer (numbers increase e.g. 184,185) but you'll spend at least $75 for the "newest one" on eBay. Beats $160-200 or whatever the dealer charges.
    And yes, update the software/ UI. You can do it in your driveway or headed on a 20+ minute trip.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 22, 2017 at 4:54 AM
    felixth

felixth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax Limited
    Well I finally went to the dealer about this. They tried to do a update and didn't work. I actually measured if off on how much it was "off." Its 50 ft different than what the GPS shows. One of the guys from the dealer rode with me and tried to do some adjustment and couldn't get it to work. So he said we will order a new head unit and that should fix it. So this past Saturday, I took my entire Saturday to get it fixed. Its a hour drive to the nearest dealer each way. After sitting and waiting 2 1/2 hrs the dealer came to me and said.....its still not fixed but the directions are right on. Needless to say that didn't make me happy. They told me to "call back on Monday and speak to whomever." Also didn't make me happy, because they should be calling me. So long story short a new head unit didn't fix the problem and update didn't fix it either. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just being too uptight about it? Now granted if I didn't have this extended Toyota warranty I wouldn't be worrying about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top