1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good Deals on Tundras?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by TTU19, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    The best deal you can get right now is by not playing. The current market is not buyer friendly.

2. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    And yes - dealers are getting msrp on some models.

To each their own - paying sticker on certain vehicles is "normal" sometimes. Paying it on a Ram for example is just laughable to me personally.

Wife saw a used Ram over the weekend, said I really like that one..you should buy it. Of course it was a TRX...went to the dealer site just to see how much it was...119k!! For a USED vehicle (had 2500 miles). I was gonna just email and say 115k OTD just to see how fast they would call...but I resisted. I mean seriously - nice truck and I get it's limited...but 119k?!? That's a nice truck and a small home or modular to me. What's your monthly car payment like on that - 1800 for 72 months?

I remember calling for payoffs and getting these geniuses with JD Byrider loans having 35k payoffs and $25 per diems on minivans and Dodge Darts....feels pretty similar to me. Of course there is a suckered willing to pay it...or at least get drawn in by it to be sold a Big Horn for 55k

3. Apr 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I dont have a choice really. Truck was totaled and have to buy something new. Not going used.

4. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    jeman022004

jeman022004 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM TRD Off-road
    Exactly my thoughts. Just checked CARVANA today. I paid $45k for my ‘19 CM Limited. They offered me $47k today. I would still have to replace it with something in this market’s inflated pricing.

deptrai likes this.
  5. Apr 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    djegators

djegators New Member

Member:
    Got $3300 off sticker and no dealer add-ons on my 2021 2WD Limited

IndianaGeologist likes this.
  6. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Exactly - and you are actually getting hit double on a total loss. First from the unexpected increase in prices, and secondly from the valuation paid by insurance - which is based on sales in the previous 91-364 days typically. When there's a spike such as recently the valuations haven't quite caught up to market conditions.

That said - new is more solidly priced, so the effect on your purchase is minimal - if any. Used is where you get caught in a squeeze.

I think reports in this thread support IF you have flexibility to go for something aside the high demand trims and options (ie opting for 2wd over 4, DC over CM) dealers are prepared to negotiate and go below sticker still.

I'm curious as to how SR sales are - never been a big seller, but at the lower price point are dealers giving anything at all.

7. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Well I wish it was better, but I'm not coming out too bad in the end. They are giving me 28K for my truck and I only owed 12K on it. So that's 16K towards the new one. In addition to getting about $1,200 off msrp. So basically 17K off, works for me. $44K truck for $27K.

8. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:
    Southeastern Pennsylvania

I always like hearing feedback from you and others so I welcome your input. As a follow up to the last post, I called the salesman yesterday and asked about numbers. He's either a very slick salesman or a fairly honest salesman because I didn't feel like I was being pulled around.

I know everyone likes to see the price breakdown, but I tend to talk about the out the door price. To recap, the window sticker is about $58,500. It is 1794 4wd and the 3 big options are sunroof, tonneau cover (1200), and TRD Dual exhaust (1200) plus a few smaller add-ons, but aside from the tonneau cover, I think the big items are factory installed and more Toyota based then dealer based. I am adding this because someone on here suggested dealer items are much more negotiable then Factory.

I asked the sales guy straight up if he could get me out the door for the sticker price which would represent a below sticker selling price comparable to what others have lately posted on here about and I didn't get a postive reaction. We talked some more and I asked if he could get me out the door for under 60k. He thought about it and said he would try and so it sounds as though that 60k is the ballpark out the door price.

Now if you back peddle the numbers, that 60k OTD equates to about 2k off sticker + the 6% PA sales tax. Now I don't actually find 2k off sticker that big of deal in this environment, especially considering they have the truck.

HOWEVER, this story took a strange and unexpected turn. If you read any of my past posts you saw that the Truck disappeared for about a week and then re-appeared. One day it was on display and the next day it was "parked oddly" and had personal items inside. All of the floor mats were out of the packaging and the vehicle had been prepped for delivery. The whole situation seemed strange, and I was surprised when the sales guy said it was still available for sale.

Then, he told me "the boss" has been driving it as a company car because the dealership ran out of "luxury cars" for him to use. Now I really don't want to come off sounding like an elitist snob, but I was very turned off by that. I get that the Tundra mechanically isn't going to have noticable wear in a week and I get that it still counts as a new car as long as it hasn't been titled, but when I first sat in it, the thing had 7 miles on it. Back in 2006 my car had 14 miles on it and on a sidenote (but still related) I was turned off at the time because the dealership had the van in the showroom and people had been crawling through it. It had taken a while to find that color and the salesman said it had only been there less than a week so I let that go at the time. But it still hadn't been prepped for delivery. This Tundra on the other hand has been prepped the same way as if a buyer had purchased it and I don't know where "the boss" lives, but even if it is close, I'm sure the truck has 3 digits on the odometer.

I am sorry if I sound like diva, but that is a USED car. A very nice, and lightly used car, but they are treating the pricing as though it is a new one and in this environment they can do that. But I don't want to pay more than I was expecting to pay on a car that has been running around town for at least a week doing errands.

So as tempting as it is, I think I'm going to roll the dice and wait till June and try again. If the new model was coming out this summer I think chances would be pretty good they'd just phase this model out and slide into the new one, but there are still 6 months worth of sales time so that if I get to June and have to special order and pay sticker, I can accept that. At least then I will get single digit odometer numbers and an actual NEW car.

68 RS/SS and Metro14536 like this.
  9. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    I would be in the same boat as you. A new truck to me is a truck with less than 20 miles. Anything more I'd want more of a discount.

Metro14536 likes this.
  10. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited
    Peterson Toyota in Boise Idaho shows 20 on their website. Edmark Toyota (less than 15 miles away)in Nampa Id only shows 1

11. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    Most of the trucks listed aren't onsite and are either in transit or scheduled to be built. That has been my finding when looking for a truck to buy recently. So just because they have many trucks listed doesn't mean they are available.

Rocko9999 and Metro14536 like this.
  12. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    Astom22

Astom22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Celina, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover
    100 percent with you, once it is being "used" as a demo or personal car, even if the user is the Boss, it is still "used".

13. Apr 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    Yeah, they sell motorcycles with that caveat. Your buying a DEMO bike instead of it being called "used".

14. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    Astom22

Astom22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Celina, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover
    Exactly, a demo is far from new. I would never buy a sports car unless I ordered it and was able to pick it up before it had 10 miles on it. If it gets test driven, it is getting throttled and that isn't good on a brand new engine. I think I read the new Corvettes are computer restricted until a certain odometer reading is hit, then it opens things up.

1UP[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    slowpokepete

slowpokepete New No More

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hillsdale, NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    My friend told me he just test drove a Tesla.

He definitely did not treat it kindly once he got it out on the interstate lol.

SPP

16. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Dealer "demos" are common - sales manager usually takes a top of line new for demo purposes. (Spouse usually gets pick of used as well).

It's "advertising" and it's the norm.

As to a vehicle being "used" - its not technically used till a title with someone (not the dealers) name goes on a title.

How many test drives you think a car on the lot goes through - ill take over 2 on most.

17. Apr 17, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:

I get what you are saying and I know that cars get driven on test drives at the dealer and around the factory during testing and around the ports during shipping, but part of me thinks that is still different than someone taking up "residence" in it. Most people going on test drives would (or I would hope would) treat the car carefully and won't be going through fast food drive throughs or sipping starbucks the way I could likely see happening with a dealer demo.

On a sidenote, I saw a Tundra with "1" mile on it, so apparently they don't get driven much between the factory floor and the dealer.

Sadly, I also know dealer demos are the norm. I was talking with the women working the Rolls Royce display at the car show one year and they said every car on the lot at their dealership is white because the owner likes white cars and he samples them all while they are waiting for a buyer. (Rolls Royces usually sit around on the lots a while) Now if there were ever a dealership where they'd keep the cars in mint condition, I think it'd be Rolls Royce.

I don't want to sound all Howard Hughes, but I equate the interior of a car to a mattress. You can change the sheets and even deep clean it, but that "freshness" is next to impossible to get back. I stay in hotels without batting an eye, but I wouldn't buy a used mattress for my home. And when it comes to something like a car where you will spend many years in an intimate space that is hard to clean, that "newness" is a huge part of the benefit to buying new.

I'm sure however that in this market, somebody will come along and not care.

18. Apr 18, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    Dallas007

Dallas007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Pro Max
    “On a sidenote, I saw a Tundra with "1" mile on it, so apparently they don't get driven much between the factory floor and the dealer.”

When I picked up my brand new 2021 Tundra from dealership it had 2 miles on odometer. I actually wish someone had test drove it as I began my 800 mile trip home (had to go that far to find a dealership that had one) I got on the interstate and a warning light for defective TPMS and SEE DEALER IMMEDIATELY illuminated. Had to spend the night and wait for new sensor to arrive. My first Toyota and paid $54k and I’m on the side of the road reading my owners manual thinking I just made a big mistake. All good now and absolutely love the truck.

Metro14536 and IndianaGeologist like this.
  19. Apr 18, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    I hope you tell the sales guy the boss blew the deal for him. See if they start jumping through hoops to close the sale then.

20. Apr 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    eagleguy

eagleguy New Member

Member:
    I used the same math when trading in my Tacoma for a Tundra. Works for some but others think its crazy. LOL I did however get way more off the MSRP. That was only after going through approximately 10 dealers!! LOVE the Tundra!!!

TTU19[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  21. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:
    It was pretty clear I wasn't happy about the new price on a used car. But I got a sleazy feeling about the dealership after that so kind of just wanted out.......Fast forward until tonight and my suspicions were proven right.

I was curious if it had sold so I looked on the website and the truck is still for sale, only now it is being offered as a "certified" vehicle. It has a mileage listed of 511 miles and the Toyota warranty is now gone. In it's place is a 3,000 mile/90-day comprehensive warranty and 12 months free maintenance. On top of that, the price has gone UP $1,500.

I seriously thought it was a joke at first, but it appears as though they have the strategy that in this market used are worth more than new. No wonder they didn't seem all that thrilled that I had seen the window sticker which at that point had been conveniently removed from the window. Nor did they seem motivated to even talk numbers.

Luckily it appears as though there are a number of incoming Tundras scheduled for arrival at multiple dealerships so I haven't given up completely. I am now however quite happy to have avoided becoming "attached" to that dealership.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Moon Puppy[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Apr 20, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    eagleguy

eagleguy New Member

Member:
    Keep the faith! I thought my deal was spot on and then they tried to cheat me out of over 1K in options that some how were missed on order. LOL in the end I saved some dollars and Luv the truck!!

23. Apr 20, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Wow.. that is pretty slimy.. I'd say report it to Toyota, but I doubt they'd care. Put them on blast in local FB groups and let everyone know what they are trying to do. That's what I'd do anyway.

24. Apr 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:

I was tempted, but the salesman was a nice guy and I wouldn't want to make trouble for him. I am pretty sure it is the upper management and if they are wheeling and dealing publicly like this, who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Here is the link to the listing though...... https://www.sloanetoyotamalvern.com...-malvern-183324750a0e09a9749b480a9c85113d.htm

25. Apr 21, 2021 at 4:13 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    That's the reason I bought new. Even 3 years ago I was seeing used as much as new.

Eh, it's a black truck, would have been slow anyway. :burnrubber:

26. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Well found a dealer today going to do a hell of a deal, especially in this market. Truck is $46,103, and they are going to do $41,647. With my 17K down, should be pretty awesome, ha.
    About to leave to head that way to buy it. Wish me luck.

27. May 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:

I am happy for you and I hope it worked out. Prices just seem to be going up like high tide at the beach =(

I am now on a list at a dealer in MD (100 miles away) for an incoming Truck that if on the lot today would be $2,500 over sticker. Ordinarily I'd think that's crazy, but now I'm tempted to just pay it when the truck comes in and hope the surcharge doesn't go up anymore.

Enjoy your new ride!

28. May 2, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    Dallas007

Dallas007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Pro Max
    Do it!! $2500 won’t make or break you unless there are very unique circumstances. You’ll be sorry!!

I paid almost sticker two months ago and had to drive 4 states away to get the truck. My daughter paid sticker last Thursday and had to fly 5 states away to get it. Our flights, rental cars, motels and expenses were nearly what your looking at. Zero regrets and glad to have the trucks!

If your young, you’ve got time to save the $2500. If your nearing retirement and $2500 ruins your plans you can’t afford to retire anyway, and if you’re retired you can deliver pizzas for a couple months....

Good luck

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  29. May 2, 2021 at 7:55 PM
    Cntrtwnltd

Cntrtwnltd New Member

Member:

Thanks for the encouragement. It's a 1794 in Army Green. For some reason all 1794's seem to be black or white with the occasional smoked mesquite.

I have already decided the surcharge will not be negotiable, so I've been making small list of "requests" I can try and get the dealer to throw in if I put up little to no resistance on paying the sale price.

This concept is very common in other industries like New Home Construction. In order to protect the home values of existing residents, home builders will hardly ever lower or budge on the price of remaining homes. Instead they throw in things like free finished basements, upgraded countertops, designer closets and stuff like that to sweeten the deal.

Back to my Tundra plan, I have thought about requesting the extended warranty and an extra smartkey. That actually leads me to a question I've been trying to answer on here.....does anyone know what the maximum number of smartkeys the Tundra can be paired with is? (I hope its more than 2 because it'd be dumb to ask for a 3rd if it's not and I couldn't find in the manual)

Whenever I buy cars I try to get an extra key and fob thrown in as it costs the dealership next to nothing to program it and it can be incredibly expensive to buy/replace later. In many cases I would imagine its a matter of the dealer pulling open a drawer in the parts department and getting it programmed. They then can claim "credit" for giving a perk.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments on whether this does or does not sound reasonable, I'd be interested to hear. Also if there's any other upgrades I could think about asking for, that could be helpful as well.

Sadly, this market seems to be uncharted territory and nobody knows exactly what to expect =(

Dallas007[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. May 3, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    So I bought the truck on Friday for the $41,647. I had them add a dark window tint all the way around for a couple hundred. I figured I was already getting such a great day, no issues with paying for it. They then tried to add in another $1500 of "dealer adds". Things like the clear bra on the hood, Apex, and some other stuff. Basically ended up getting all that free since it wasn't in the original quote the guy gave me on the truck.

In finance I added a 125K mile bumper to bumper coverage and wheel/tire/windshield/key fob replacement if any of that is damaged. Got 2.15 for 84 months and my payment after what I put down is $430. I didn't really want to go 84, but figured with the low rate and that I'll be paying a lot more per month anyway, it will eat up that extra year or more pretty quick.

Products Discussed in

To Top