1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good deal?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Restlessnic, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    Restlessnic

Restlessnic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all, am new to the forum and am looking to buy a 1st gen Tundra. Found one on Craig’s list not too far away described as 2003 TRD Access cab V8 with 120000 mi, no accidents. O2 sensor reportedly shot, otherwise, no issues, runs great. Asking is $10,000.

Am planning to inspect the vehicle on Friday. Don’t know any mechanics in the area so will be doing the inspection myself. Plan on taking OBD, climbing underneath to look for rust, grounding and/or frame damage. And, of course, test drive. Car is located in a very rural, mountainous area so plan on giving her a proper test.

Questions for the forum: is $10,000 a decent price; What issues normally arise with this model; any advice on what to look for.

Thanks in advance for all help and guidance, I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Grumpy Uncle likes this.
  2. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:22 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    Welcome from CO. I don't have any input for you. Someone will have something for you though.

3. Nov 13, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 & 1st Degenerate

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC Tundra Limited 4x4 v8
    flowmaster 40, DDI injectors, sliders, bumper
    Sounds good to me. Fair price. I paid 9k for 200k mile 06 in Texas. Make sure the timing belt, water pump and coolant has been done. Probably due for a trans drain and fill. Also if it has the original shocks those are likely shot. Spark plugs may need changing.

4x4_Angel and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Nov 13, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    jnevill

jnevill New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra SR5 TRD 2wd
    Stereo, steps, more stereo
    I paid 10k for mine 6 years ago, 2005 TRD SR5 access cab, 110k, 2wd, immaculate. Seems a little high to me, but if it is clean, do it. V8 is right, check to make sure the timing belt was done, or be prepared to put another $1000 into it immediately to get it done. SOLID trucks these are.

5. Nov 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    TUNDRAIN520

TUNDRAIN520 TUNDRAin520

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2001 Extended Cab 4x4 SR5
    I am still a rookie here, but...

1) Ditto on the timing belt - that's an easy $1000

2) Roll down the passenger window while driving and listen for that annoying "tick, tick, tick" of the exhaust leak. Every early Tundra and Sequoia that I test drove had it, and it's another $1000 job if done professionally. I actually paid about $1400 to have the JBA headers installed and the exhaust re-done (including the muffler replacement).

6. Nov 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    Lupe

Lupe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lupe
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    Well were are u located buddy

7. Nov 23, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    ColinShead

ColinShead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Sounds good for me too. I think you might need to change only the spark plugs. But other than this, you must surely do some research online about this in order to get the correct solution to your problem. I remembered once, my colleague has also got somewhat similar deal when he was ought to buy 1st gen tundra last month. As he got the deal from out of town, with the help of Connecticut Auto Transporter, he safely shifted it to the target place and luckily he does not have to do any repairs and the Tundra he got was in pretty good condition. If you do not get enough information online regarding your issue, I would rather advise you to do consult some expert related to this field.

8. Nov 23, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Seems a bit high but Tundras hold value. Price it out on NADA and KBB to get an idea if in right price range. $10k is what he is asking, most likely will take $500-1000 less. You will not know if you don't ask.....

9. Nov 23, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    03 is a pretty good year, depending on location and condition 10k may be about right as an asking price. Try lowering it of course, and follow the advice others mentioned, timing belt and water pump job is a biggie. If that hasn't been done you have a bargaining chip.

Pay close attention to how brakes feel, especially coming down from highway speeds to a stop. If they jerk or the steering wheel wobbles it needs ne pads and rotors, another bargaining chip.

Products Discussed in

To Top