1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GNT TREE build, 2008 Sequoia

Discussion in 'Sequoia Builds' started by Jbtaco2002, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Dec 10, 2020 at 8:32 PM
    Dandelion045

Dandelion045 New Member

Member:
    Hello! I have been watching this thread for awhile and finally joined. I’m traveling to VA to trade my 4Runner in for a 2017 Sequoia and I’m super excited to start fixing it up. I see some of these that you guys have done and am really looking forward to dropping some money....lol..
    I didn’t do much to my 4Runner except put better tires and a rack in but the Sqeuoia needs some work. I don’t do a lot of 4 wheeling but I do drive on the beach and hunt a lot and I’m planning on a Overland trip, so I thbink I’ll probably get a 3” SST ReadyLift. I’m not too knowledgeable concerning truck mods, so please correct me if I sound like I’m gonna buy the wrong thing or something as I post. I was wondering if I need to change/ should change the factory shocks with the SST LIFT? Also wondering about tire size...I wanna still be able to get it in my garage. I think I’d like to keep the original 18” wheels and just paint them black...at least until I need something better. Also, any good direction on a ARB type bumper? I love the way the GNT TREE looks.

2. Dec 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    Jbtaco2002

Jbtaco2002 [OP] Almost a Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    i'm not familiar with the Readylift, but pretty sure it's a spacer lift, retains factory coilovers. if you don't plan to do much but will use off road, you gotta protect that gas tank, it's a huge exposed piece of plastic. RCI makes the tundra skid plat that'll work on the Sequoia as well

beyond that, it's all about budget. best mod on the GNT TREE by far is the Supercharger, but after that are the King shocks. best in the world in my opinion, but they'll cost ya!

i was able to fit 35" tires, you should be able to run a 285 with a 3" lift without much issue but always check first the fitment. i also had the wheel spacers to push the rims out a bit, it needed those for the rear.

GL!

JB

@Ace402 will hopefully create a new build thread for his GNT TREE :cheers:

RootsTree707 and Ace402 like this.
  3. Dec 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    Steveo55

Steveo55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2020 Sequoia TRD PrO
    Hello question for the rear shocks i emailed Icon they have something similar 14 inches collapsed but 22.355 inches in extended do you think this would work with the sequoia? Right now currently my TRD pro has 18.5 inches extended.

4. Dec 18, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    Jbtaco2002

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    I would have no way to know.. sorry bud

5. Jan 27, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    AgROwenB

AgROwenB New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sequoia
    @Jbtaco2002 hey, thanks for all this info, love your build. I joined to ask you a question. I have a 2011 Platinum that I need to replace the shocks on. I want to rip the airbag out and go with coils and such. You seem to be the only person I've found that has done this. How difficult was it and what exactly do I need from king to make it work. I'm probably never gonna run 35's so 3" will be enough lift and ride quality is my main concern. Won't be doing any rock climbing or such, mainly off road in the mud. Thanks for any info!

6. Feb 4, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    Jbtaco2002

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    nothing cool
    my sequoia i bought used and it came with aftermarket airbags in the rear form airlift i believe. my understanding is that Sequoias that come from the factory have a different lower rear control arm, but i have never confirmed this. you might need to hit up your local toyota parts guy and see if they can verify different part #'s depending on options installed.

refer to my posts for the rear shock info, but essentially these are custom built with fabricated mis-alignement spacers for the upper mount and if i recall a smaller (17mm vs 19mm) lower mount. but get the Dobinson's 2.5" rear lift coils for sure, they ride so nice! GL man

7. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    AgROwenB

AgROwenB New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sequoia
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I've been talking with my Toyota parts guy and they thinks it's doable to convert. They would prefer there to be a kit but it doesn't appear there is one. To replace the factory air bags and such is about $1600.00 so Id rather convert to coils, lift a tad and go from there. Again thanks for your reply!

8. May 23, 2021 at 11:30 PM
    Devildawg712

Devildawg712 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Union City, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2020 Marine Corps Green Sequoia. (SEQUNDRA) Past~~ 17' Cement TRD PRO (FUNDRA)
    Badass rig and inspirational build. Sent you a PM about your early airlift experience. Currently dealing with some gnarly sag on my tree. Thanks man

9. Nov 11, 2022 at 3:47 PM
    Unknowndizz

Unknowndizz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia limited
    @Jbtaco2002 hey man can you please share the link to that dope ass bumper ?!! Thank you

Products Discussed in

To Top