1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

General Detailing Discussion

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by War Machine, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Dec 11, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    War Machine

War Machine [OP] SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Depends on the effort you want to put in vs saving money. It’s a lot cheaper to do yourself, but not without expense, and takes a lot of effort.
    If you don’t already have the equipment, you’ll have to buy it all. For a polisher, pads, compound, polish, and ceramic coating you can expect to spend in the neighborhood of $500.00. That doesn’t include other supplies you’ll need like iron remover, clay, soap, etc.
    Then there’s a time investment. If your paint needs a good bit of work you’re probably looking at 8 hours minimum. (Likely much longer if you have no experience.)

Hard to say what it would cost to have it professionally done. The cost varies so wildly I’d hate to even ball park it.
    I’d say it comes down to whether or not you intend to make a hobby of it. Buying all that stuff and using it once every few years wouldn’t be worth it to me.
    Paying a pro to do it is costly, but then all you have to do is use good washing practices to keep it in good shape for several years.

I’m honestly not a fan of ceramic coating personally. I had it done about a year ago, and it just wasn’t for me. I like detailing and trying new products too much to get much benefit from it. I’ve long since stripped it off.
    If you don’t enjoy washing your truck, it may be the answer for you. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to hand wash it anyway going forward. If you’re going to use automatic washes, then don’t waste your money.

Pudge likes this.
  2. Dec 11, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    That’s what I’m talking about! She sent me a text the other day apologizing for buying so much stuff for this thing already. I told her no problem at all. She needed some more vinyl for something she was working on the same day. I volunteered to stop and pick some up on my way home.

Kidding aside, I actually enjoy seeing her find something she’s enthusiastic about. I know the feeling.

owb2gp[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    I feel the same. We both enjoy her photography. I'm the driver, no camera. We usually head up towards Jackson Wyoming to take pictures of nature. Gets us both out of the house and we always have fun. I usually snap a few pictures with my phone.

IMG_20191201_132551.jpg

4. Dec 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    I was out there two summers ago. The elk aren't in the reserve in the summer but the moose were around town. The rest of the Tetons/Yellowstone was excellent. Tetons are lesser known but way better for it. And I got to take my son mountain biking on the Jackson Hole ski resort. Taking the lift up seems like cheating but it was fun with a (then) 9 year old. We'll be doing Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho and the Icefield Parkway to Jasper this summer. I'll be bringing the Canon with me to get some good shots...

5. Dec 28, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    42and sunny today. Starting to do a wash with ONR
    First time using it, I lost my bottle and found it today.
    Also plan to wash wheels and tires. then apply some hydro2 to get me through winter.
    I already hosed off the worst of the salt and the wheel wells. The frame is looking great and has zero salt, the fluid film is doing its thing

6. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Got it all done and the interior vacuumed and cleaned up. The ONR really worked well, it was my first time using it, I like it. The first pic shows after I used ONR. It definitely provides some protection, I did have spots that appeared to have little to no protection left, it was where the truck was heavily covered with salt.
    After I washed it I sprayed it down with hydro2 and then rinsed and dried with my XL griots pfm which dried the whole truck and weighed about 10lbs when I was done. Love those towels. Overall the truck came out good, I'm hoping this will protect til march when itll warm up again.
    I used shine supply Dressed Up on the interior. It looks great with a nice satin sheen, but even though its water based it seemed a little sticky to me and may attract dust but we will see once it's set up. It smells really good too which is nice. Definitely would recommend it, I also have used their Clean and Shine which works well too but doesnt shine as well or smell as good.

20191228_125831.jpg
    20191228_135818.jpg
    20191228_135801.jpg

rons23 likes this.
  7. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Oh and something kinda crazy that I noticed. I tried to use some carpro perl on my tires but it wouldnt really stick well to the tires. This has never happened before. I realized that the Optimum tire coating was still on there and repelling the perl. I applied that stuff about 6 months ago. Some areas have washed off but not much. The gloss that is provided isnt really there any more but it's still protecting the tires. Pretty amazing stuff.

War Machine[OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    CNE0207

CNE0207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM Limited
    War Machine... his would you start with a brand new Cement CrewMax? Want to get something in it before any scratches. I’m in CO, so snow, rain and hot sun are all taking a toll on our paint here.

Thx

9. Dec 30, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Rain and sleet today. I love hydro2, I dont need wipers from about 45 mph and up. Everything beads then forms bigger drops and flies right off.

20191230_114543.jpg

War Machine[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 30, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Sorry I missed this question. I’d definitely recommend paint decon, like I do with any vehicle that hasn’t had it done yet. Makes a huge difference, even on new vehicles.
    Other than that, depends on how much time and money you want to out into it. Jescar Powerlock looks great on MGM, and I’d think it would make Cement pop very well also.

I break down some of my thoughts and recommendations here:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ask-the-detailer.18408/page-55#post-1480545

11. Jan 3, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Oops!!! Need help!!!!!!!. My aftermarket headlights that I retrofitted started flaking. I don't know if it's some kind of factory lament or clearcoat. I doubt spec d puts a clearcoat on their headlights. After some research I started wet sanding with 800 grit, following with a 1000 grit. Polish then add protectant. Well epic fail:eek2:. As you can see in the pick it just made it worse. The only thing I can think of doing is dropping down to a 600 grit maybe:confused:. Just trying to get some extra life out of my headlights before I replace them. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Driver side headlight is the one I started on. You can see where it brought out the peeling.

20200103_103757.jpg

12. Jan 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    @Omohundro maybe?

13. Jan 3, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    A lot depends on your comfort level. I asked for a Griots Garage DA a few years back for Christmas.....and I've never looked back. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of doing our cars myself. If the swirls, etc are really bad, it may not hurt to consult a professional first to get a sense of what the paint correction will cost you. As far as the body damage repair, make sure you follow the body shop's advice on when you can apply anything to the new paint.

Blueribbon504[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 3, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    @Pudge and @War Machine

My boys got me some detailing stuff for X-mas. Quick question, do I need to remove the Meguires hybrid ceramic wax before using the sealer they got me or can it be used over the hybrid wax? Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day and my truck needs some attention.

15. Jan 3, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    You can put it over that. It may not last as long as it would without the hybrid wax under it, but it won’t hurt anything. How long ago did you put the Meguair’s on it? What sealer did you get?

16. Jan 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars

I don't remember the name of the sealant, I can pass that on this evening. The Meguires has been on there for 3-4 months. Going strong, so far. We were out in the snow and roads were sloppy last weekend. When I wash it tomorrow I can give a better reply on how it held up.

17. Jan 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’m guessing you’ll be fine. You usually don’t want to put sealant on top of wax, but the Meguair’s Hybrid Wax is a wax in name only. It’s a sealant.

Grumpy Uncle[QUOTED] and Pudge like this.
  18. Jan 3, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    So the boys got me Chemical Guys VO7 and Black Light hybrid radiant finish. I think I'm going to try the radiant finish first.

19. Jan 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Finish sanding all the clear coat off then buff, you will be golden then.

20. Jan 10, 2020 at 2:31 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    That's the thing, I've used 800 with no luck, I feel if I go lower I'm just gonna scratch them completely :confused:

21. Jan 10, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    800 is the lowest I’ve gone on headlights. If that’s not doing anything at all, I doubt you’re goin to have any success. I hate to say this, but you may just have to replace them.

22. Jan 10, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Yeah, already planned on that, but wanted to try to clean them up and have as my spare. If they can't be saved then I will be selling some morimoto projectors, hid 35 watt ballast,and 6000k hid bulbs :D

Pudge likes this.
  23. Jan 10, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Stupid question, but the failing part isn’t on the inside is it? My Spyders started peeling like that, but it was on the inside of the plastic. I’m sure you’d know if it was, just making sure.

Get you some of the Sequoia headlights. They’re very reasonably priced......not.

24. Jan 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Na it's on the outside, I can feel it with my fingernail. Yeah the Sequoia headlights are nice, I really like the Alpharex Nova's too. Decision's to be made:eek2:

Pudge likes this.
  25. Jan 10, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    A new truck comes with new headlights. Just a thought,

26. Jan 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Hahaha, point well made, but the wifey gets the new vehicle. I won't be entertaining a new Tundra till a few years from retirement. I'm very confident in my 08:D. On a good note, I have persuaded my wife to look into test driving a Camry, she's always been s Nissan Altima fan. Gotta get her to jump ship:thumbsup:

27. Jan 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Heck yeah. My daughter graduates college in May. Once that Honda is gone we’ll be all Toyota here.

And yeah, no worries about the 08. Just giving you an excuse to tell your wife. “The headlights can’t be fixed or replaced. Gotta get a new truck.”

rons23[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jan 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I grabbed this stuff off the shelf at o'Reilly's because I was there and needed something to clean my tires and wheels. My god. My tires have never been cleaner! The second the foam hit the rubber it started pulling the dirt out and it turned chocolate brown. I had been using chemical guys diablo wheel cleaner with 'meh' results. This Eagle One stuff, however got my white letters cleaner than they have ever been! Go figure an off the shelf product kicks a 'premium' brand's ass. Though I have heard quite a few CG items are mostly fluff.

My only gripe with this stuff is the spray bottle sucks. You get a dot of foam about the size if a quarter with each spray and you have to hold it real close to the surface because there is no propellant (note the amount on the ground :rolleyes:).
    20200119_103651.jpg

War Machine[OP] and Pudge like this.
  29. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    I applied some of the CarPro FogFight today. Got the kit on sale a while back but wasn't getting any fog until now (new truck and I've kept it clean.) I cleaned the glass with Stoner Invisible Glass, wiped it down with a dry microfiber cloth, applied it as directed (ie let it cure longer as it's cold,) and wiped it down. Kit came with block, applicators and a nice microfiber drying cloth.

We shall see how it holds up. They claim a month if you don't touch the glass. For the windshield that will be easy. For the rear glass, the kids will be the real trial... Too bad for that crappy winter thing though. The whole outside of the truck is an atrocity against all that is good in the world.

30. Jan 27, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    You undersold how much that sprayer sucks.

Pudge likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top