1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Funny, but with a serious side.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Feb 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I have been a home owner now for over 16 years. One thing that has amazed me is how many people "try/tried" to get into my home with me standing right there.

In my career, I work around 4.5 months out of the year if I compressed all the days together. Needless to say, I am home a lot and get to see a bunch of different things. Here are some of my experiences:

-Some people pose as Utility Workers and attempt to get into your home. The chance of this is escalated after a weather storm or something that causes major power/service outages. I have had two experiences with this, and knew how to handle myself since I work for a Utility company. Ask for ID, period. Also, call the Utility company to see if something is going on in the area. Trust me, most utility work is done outside. Only time someone needs to come inside is to change a water meter (rare), or if a natural gas outage occurred and a pilot light needs to be lit. All other utilities are outside, or if something is bad inside the home, that is contracted out from you, since the homeowner is responsible for those costs.

In Colorado Springs a few years back, people were posing as utility workers and while talking with someone at the front door, people were breaking in the back door and doing home invasions. Mostly elderly people were targeted.

-Garage access. I have had a few people walk up my driveway over the years and "check" if someone is around. I normally always have my 90 lb dog out front with me. Not because he likes being outside, he is working for me and earning his keep. When I am working in the garage, usually I have earplugs, safety goggles, welding hood, or under some vehicle. This puts me in a bad spot for defense. My dog warns me when something is not right and gives me that extra few seconds to prepare. I find it amusing when people are selling shit, see my dog and ask one of the most stupid questions "is he nice? does he bite?" Well I always say "He is nice to me, but I'm his friend, and he has teeth, so I can assume he does bite."
    The most interesting one was coming home from work, I slid under my 02 Trans Am since I grenaded the rear axle again and was in the process of installing a Strange Engineering S60 axle. I was just laying under the car on my creeper, minding my own business. I had not gone inside yet, so my daily carry was with me, and in fact under the car with me. A guy actually walked up into my garage and started touching my tools and looking around. I was in total shock. I slid out from under the car, pistol in hand, but not pointed and said a few choice words to him...but it was asking what he was doing in my garage. He wasn't even scared. I'm pretty sure he knew that in CO, a garage is not an extension of your home. Shooting him would have me in a world of legal nightmare. He just turned around and walked out without a worry. Totally blew my mind. From that day forward, my dog was outside no matter what.

Speaking about garage access, if you have the release cord on your garage mechanism still, go take that off at your next convenient time. The fastest way inside your garage besides having the code for an external keypad or the portable garage door opener is this cord. Go check it out. Go outside, push on the top center of your door. Think you could fish a clothes hanger inside and hook that line and pull it outside or release the door? It took me about 2 minutes the first time I was told this about 14 years ago.

-ADT sales/or other alarm company. Popular to belief, ADT does do door to door sales. You all should check out their site and see the company policies. I have had this happen a few times. The best one I will tell you about, and a little about me.
    First off, anyone that knows me well, understands to contact me before coming to my house by either text or calling. I do not usually answer the door, but make it known I am home. I do this so someone doesn't make the mistake of trying to access my house without me inviting them inside. In the event I do answer the door, 99.56871% of the time Mr 19 is in my possession. So anyway, there was two nicely dressed young people at my door, male and female, and asked if I had a security system. I told them yes. Well of course they asked by who, and I replied it isn't by anyone in the city and it is none of their business.
    ***Now I am going to stop right there for a second. Now to just lay this on the line. They were dressed in business casual clothing, both shirts had ADT embroidered in the polo shirts, looked very convincing for sure. Back to our scheduled story.***
    They were very insistent to come inside my home to see my current system. I would not let them in. My dogs could sense I was a little tense or something. The door was just cracked and they were trying like hell to get out and see what was up. My youngest was growling. Warning #1. The next thing I asked is if they had ID or business cards. Of course they left them in the car. Warning #2. Then they said that my neighbor across the street just purchase a system from them. Here is the freaky part. I did know if they did or didn't have a security system (they did already), but they knew my neighbors names. There are several ways of getting this information on public websites, but nonetheless, tricky and convincing if I didn't know otherwise. Where I caught on, is they said the males name, whom was deployed to Korea at the time. So they were full of shit saying they sold him a system. Warning #3. I had enough of these smart thieves by now. Anyway, they just wanted to know what system I had. I told them in the most polite way an agitated man could..."I have an alarm system, the back up is what is growling at you, and the back up to them is what I have had pointed at you this whole time"....and tapped the door with my 1911. Their eyes got pretty big and they quickly left the neighborhood. I called ADT, and they had no representatives in the area that day, and of course tried to sell me a system.

-Cleaning product sales/vacuum sales/or surveys for products. Some are legit, and others are a big red flag. The most recent was last week and the follow up was last night. So last week a young girl caught me going outside to check the mail. My whole family was home at the time, and my wife was able to hear the conversation. She introduced herself and said she wasn't selling anything (I have a no solicitation sign on my door), and was doing a local survey of what supermarket people used and why. So I did her little survey (form looked professional and expensive to make) and at the end she thanked me and asked if I wanted to be in the weekly drawing for a 300.00 gift certificate. I should know better, but I put my number into the drawing with just my first name. Fast forward to last night. I get a call and sure as stink on shit, I won the weekly drawing for 300.00 gift certificate. Now to get the code to the website to spend the 300.00, a representative from a air purifier company would stop by, and we would have to review the air purifier and that was it. 15 minutes tops. At this time, I'm thinking that isn't going to happen. Then she said we would also get two movie vouchers to a local theater for the night, but would expire that evening, so we would need to use them. Now that really said "red flag" to me. So someone would case my house from the inside, and then fully know that we would be gone for at least two hours on the same night? Yeah that is going to happen. I told her not that night. She said that they would call back on Monday so we could go to the movie. I haven't decided if I want to set someone up yet or not. Could get sporty. Lots of people with bump keys these days....

To add, I now take pictures of people coming up my driveway, my door, or in the neighborhood walking around that look out of place. This throws people off. They usually ask why I took a picture of them, and I give them an honest answer. I let them know I download their picture off my phone in the event a break in happens in the neighborhood, you are a person that may be contacted by local PD. Some say that they don't authorize me taking pictures of them, and I politely tell them that they are on my property uninvited and do not care.

Not sure why I thought of this, but just pay attention to what is going on. So may crooks out there trying to take advantage of people, it is just scary. Stay informed my friends...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. Feb 18, 2017 at 1:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    It is pretty sad Jim.

Looks like your community of neighbors are organized. Pretty impressed.

driverdog likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    caboose

caboose -1

Member:
    somewhere in the USA
    Vehicle:
    tundra dc trd
    ride rites w/ air compressor, trd pro grille, decked bed storage, nfab rkr rails w/steps, remote start.
    I'm pretty sure he knew that in CO, a garage is not an extension of your home.
    Is your garage detached from your home? When I took my CCW class with RMGO this was a major subject and they said the only way a garage is not counted as apart of your home is if it is completely detached from your house. They even said a breeze way technically makes it apart of your house. It has been a few years since I took the class and Colorado has passed some major bs laws in that time. Might want to double check with the sheriffs department.

4. Feb 18, 2017 at 4:15 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    My garage is attached. I have to take a 10 year renewal class this year. I will find out for sure. There has been a few laws that have been changed, that is for sure.

I can't say I would bet my life on a law abiding citizen knowing all the rules....lol.

I wouldn't think of using deadly force if someone was just stealing tools. I can buy a auto repair facility for what my legal fees would be if I did something like that. Might win criminal case, but civil could get Spendy. Going through that right now, so I have first hand knowledge on criminal vs civil side of the law. (Not related to this thread)

Law323 likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2017 at 4:31 AM
    caboose

caboose -1

Member:
    somewhere in the USA
    Vehicle:
    tundra dc trd
    ride rites w/ air compressor, trd pro grille, decked bed storage, nfab rkr rails w/steps, remote start.
    The make my day legislation should make you immune to prosecution criminal and civil. When you take your class you should get clarification on that to. I heard about a case in springs where they were putting that to the test with regards to detached garage aswell. Couldn't find the ruling on the internet since news shows never follow up on anything. Just curious if you ever thought about getting that CCW attorney insurance?

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 18, 2017 at 4:36 AM
    caboose

caboose -1

Member:
    somewhere in the USA
    Vehicle:
    tundra dc trd
    But this is a good thread My grandma out in New Hampshire had someone pose as a home health care worker and unfortunately she let that person in (she lives at home and still thinks everyone in the world is good) They started asking about her medication my grandma showed them. They distracted her and swiped the pills out of the bottle and put the bottle back. She didn't notice till she went to take the meds later. Pretty sad how people will take advantage.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Man, I feel you buddy. Always keep my gun and/or knife on me.

Down here in Memphis, there's plenty of people who rob you at knifepoint hence my CCP. During the day is fine but still keep your head on a swivel and NEVER carry my phone or wallet when walking my dog. I go to work early so my wife has to walk the dog through our neighborhood in the AM but I make sure she had a taser, mace and a paracord monkey fist bought for her. (She's still scared of guns, but has agreed to take some classes FINALLY!) the rest of the time, I'm the one walking the dog. Won't let my wife walk him alone after dark. Especially when you have "panhandlers" who will kill you without a second thought.

Sad

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    Cliffs?

9. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    No sir, better to be perceived as paranoid than stupid!

10. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    KAIG, NW of The Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM Platinum
    Some suspension tweaks
    When we drove in to Graceland a couple years back we went through some... interesting... neighborhoods.:eek:

11. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Oh yeah. I work in the industrial district right by the airport/Graceland. Definitely puts you in a certain mindset and your trigger finger gets a little bit faster! LOL

Graceland is surrounded by drug addicts and not so friendly individuals!
    Downtown Memphis is really cool and Midtown by Overton park where I live is among the safest places you can go in Memphis. Other than that.....head on a swivel and hand on your gun!

Not to say you can go Willy Nilly in those places...but it is statistically safER! LOL

12. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Making me thankful for where I live! We're on a private road in the foothills with just 16 houses. Everyone is very friendly and watchful. We have a road association and band together twice a year to clean out the drainage ditch. We have a party for all the neighbors every year and put on an aerial show (think Cirque du Soleil). Both my daughters (12 & 14) and several of their friends are professional performers. Other neighbors have similar parties. Our biggest problem lately has been all the rain, mudslides, trees down and the creek overflowing and crossing the road (like 12" of water on the road, FUN!). And lately there's been a mountain lion, sighted twice yesterday. It's very unusual as they're very stealthy and seldom seen. This one's young. But, to be on the safe side, we've got 2 dogs. The latest addition is Mastiff/Dane. Her size alone is gonna make people think long and hard before stepping onto the property.

13. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    That's my type of home location goal!!

14. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    You'd be a welcome addition to the "hood."

15. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Much appreciated!! Would be awesome to have a fellow tundras.com member as a neighbor!!

16. Feb 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    I live on a dead end road, towards the beginning of it, so everyone out here pretty much knows who lives up the road and what they drive.

Now a few years back I was leaving for work early, had to open, and I noticed a car parked off the road on my property as I drive up to it I stopped, there was a guy behind he wheel, I motioned for him to roll down his window and asked if he needed any help, I was told to go fuck myself. Well I cant do that so I got my phone and took his picture he got a little upset, I then got out and took a picture of his plate and several of his car. I then told him I was calling the highway patrol, reporting a suspicious person and if anything came up missing or damaged out here he would be the one we came looking for. I then told him to get out of the area now and don't come back

We had a problem with break ins, esp vehicles for awhile.

I also run off door to door sales and what not.

A few months back some guy knocked on my door and was trying to open the storm door, I keep it locked, when I opened the door he said he needed a ride to town. I said no leave. He said hey man I roofed your house last summer, I said no you did not now leave. My house was re roofed in 2009 and not by him. He said hey just let me in and give me a ride, I said hey haul your ass out of here now I am calling the sheriff. I watched him leave and when he got to the highway 2 more guy walked up to him that were out of sight, talk about a set up, yes I called the sheriff and reported that.

I have a few more from when I lived in town, shitty part of town, but it was what it was, had to pull a pistol several times back then, hated that area, glad I was finally able to get out.

17. Feb 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    We have the same aggressive people trying to scam their way into the homes in our neighborhood from time to time. In the past, they have posed as carpet cleaner service. This one woman actually tried to push the door open and walk in...( I only had the door open a crack with my foot behind it and my hand on the butt of my S&W M&P)... When she figured out she could not get past me, she was doing everything she could to look past me to see what goods I had in my home. Unbelievable... I kindly told her to leave, twice... she finally did.

I too have a shop in my garage (woodworker) and when the weather is nice, I sometimes open the garage door while I'm working out there. I'm AMAZED at how bold some of these people are. One guy walks up my driveway... I saw him coming... and wants to sell me something... before he reaches my garage I say loud and clear "That's far enough. you don't need to come any closer." He keeps walking. By now he's about to enter my garage. I put my left hand up and shout " I said, that's far enough!" and my right goes to the butt of S&W. His eyes got HUGE, puts his hands up and practically ran down my driveway.

I love my retired neighbors. They are home most of the time. When the weather is nice, they love to work in their yard so they are frequently outside. A good deterrent in itself. My neighbor across the street runs an in home day care and she does not miss a thing. I love it when she calls me and says, " there is a truck parked in your driveway... is it supposed to be there?" 99% of the time I have a friend over or having work done, but I love the fact she is diligent! "Thanks for calling, Mary. Everything is fine." We all call one another when we are going to be out of town, so we can be extra diligent.

I carry all the time at home as well. We don't live in a "bad" part of town, but as illustrated above, there are some people out there whose motives are not in my best interest.

For 15 years I had a little Blue Heeler dog. She was 45 pounds of pure adrenaline. Kind, loved to play... But boy could she sense danger. She saved my life one night, but that's a story for another time. She had a bark and growl that sounded like it came from a WAY bigger dog. EVERYTIME the doorbell rang, she knew it was her job to make a crap ton of noise. She was very good at it. People at the door would say, "Does your dog bite?" I would reply, "Yes, but if you are nice to me, she will be nice to you." that was the God honest truth. My wife and I are rarely separated overnight, but when I had to leave town, I felt better knowing that no one was getting into my house without my wife knowing about it. We no longer have that dog, and I can't bring myself to get another one yet. Which brings up a question...
    I want to get exterior surveillance but I don't know crap about what cameras / system to get. I can install it myself and would prefer to do that... Anyone have any input?

Great thread topic, BTW....

18. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    Damn, you guys have got some stories that make me love my place. We just put out our game cameras to see who's been shitting in the driveway. Yep, I was right it's the neighbor's German shepherds. Gonna have to have a talk with him. The biggest threats here are bears and mountain lions. One day I crawled out from under the truck to see a massive bear crossing the creek maybe 100 ft away. Luckily the bears here are pretty mellow and don't care if you see them. The lions on the other hand are sneaky bastards. Gonna have to start keeping a weapon on me. Do I need a permit to carry out around my property? My wife ran out and bought a 9mm a couple years ago after she was looking for our cat Bart and there were three teenage lions lounging under a tree in our backyard(mountain side). I don't have any guns registered in my name. But we have the 9 and my wife's late husband's 12gauge, 30 30 and 270 in the house. Advise from Colorado guys, anything I need to do to have my shit together in the event something happens and I have to use any of them? For defense from human or animal threats.

19. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    From the horses mouth...so to speak (criminal defense attorney).

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-the-make-my-day-law-1

NewImprovedRon and Law323 like this.
  20. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Pure scum, and your grandma is not alone in this.

Right now, one of my friends mom was recently going through a legal battle from a "in home" provider. This person flat out lied and said she was hurt on the property. She sued of course. This went on for a few years before she just "dropped" the case due to costing over what she might get in a settlement out of court.

Come to find out, this provider has done something very similar around 6 times before. Only difference is most settled out of court with insurance and didn't fight it.

Wanna know what saved her? In home security system.

I tell you, it is all out war against our elderly community, and sadly they are losing.

21. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Such a waste as well. Memphis could be so much more, but doesn't sound like it has changed much since 1993-4 when I was there.

22. Feb 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Great testimony on how being alert to your surroundings is definitely in your benefit.

The "few months back" situation is exactly why I will never come out of my house to engage. Unless you have a damn good security system with cameras, one does not truly know what is out beyond your sight. Even then.... Someone could be beating my new truck with a baseball bat and I would not come out. I would look at it like this...I just spent 300+ on a deductible, which is cheap considering what I am protecting inside.

MatthewPTguy, 831Tun and Law323 like this.
  23. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    You know exactly how I feel and sounds like have some similar experiences. Unfortunate for sure.

I did start a security camera thread a while back. Check my started threads, there is a lot of good information in there. We have some experienced people on this board in a wide range of expertise....trust me.

Glad you like the topic. Things ol' TJ has rattling in his simple mind....

24. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Back when I lived in the shitty part of town, back around 89 or 90, I had a small window ac in my bedroom, I also had a walker coon dog, shitty hunting dog, all he would chase was skunks, but one hell of a watch dog, if I so much as nodded he was on some ones ass.
    Well I had him inside that night since it had been raining, think Oklahoma july summer, humidity of a billion percent.
    Anyway he slept on the floor by the bed. He woke me up when he jumped on the bed and was growling, I was like WTF is wrong with you. Then I heard the noise, someone was moving my window unit side to side. So I grabbed the Smith 686 and rolled over the bed, ole fred, yes that was the dogs name crawled up beside me and said ready boy, as I pulled up the shade and pointed the gun at the window, I heard someone yell SHIT and then fall down.
    I made a rush to back door, fred beat me there, kicked it open and said get em boy, ole fred took off barking growling and a few seconds later I heard yelling and DAMN IT HE BIT ME, ROFLAMO, god I mis that dog, I ran back to the alley and saw ole fred had someones leg in his mouth, I called him back and gun in hand yelled fucker you come back next time you die, and I called the cops...LOL that damn dog. No one ever showed up at the ER that I know of but I know some crack head still has bite marks on his leg, LOL

25. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Same house, in town, knock on door at night around 9pm, I had a few friends over, I get up grab my Smith and opened the door, now that house just had a wood screen door, so anything could have come thru it. I see a guy standing there and car at the curb with about 5 more guys in it,
    Ya what do you want, gun in my left hand behind the door,
    I want some damn smokes you got any as he was looking around the house casing it out
    No don't smoke good bye
    Hey now just let me talk to you, as he tried to push the door open as the guys in the car were opening the car doors, shit here it goes I thought
    I stepped aside pointed the smith at him and said one more step and you die fucker.
    He yelled and fell back wards off the porch, stumbled and ran back to the car as everyone else was climbing back in and they sped away called the cops again...LOL

Hated that house but never a dull moment....

was so glad to move, to another shitty house just in a not so shitty part of town before I settled out here

26. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    I know it Chris!
    It's such a cool, culture rich place only to be seriously dampened by idiots who can't (or just don't) act like human beings for a second.
    From what I've been told, downtown has made some great progress in driving out the unsavory characters and you can tell when driving through there. But still, crime happens EVERYWHERE just in differing percentages. Sad as hell, good thing I'm not staying here forever. I love it here, but still miss living in the country where you can walk out buck naked with nothing but a cowboy hat and a gun and no one would be around to care. LOL
    IMG_2361.jpg

27. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Thankfully I never had to use that smith but I had it with me all the time at that house

28. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    See....all you guys on here with these stories should be enough proof that the only way to prevent a crime or killing is giving good, law abiding citizens a gun.

Honestly, if guns were a problem with guys like us, the whole damn nation would know.

Sorry to jack it Chris, but just hearing all these stories lights a fire under my derrière LOL

29. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    We share a common problem with mountain lions. Let me be the first to say you (and your wife) are lucky to see them and they are considered one of North America's most efficient killer for a reason. In your area though, they are way more populated due to less humans and the ample supply of food. (beautiful area as well, one of my favorites)

Your best bet is a large breed dog(s). A Mountain lion can jump fences with a full grown Lab in its mouth, but having a bigger dog or dogs is a deterrent for a cat and moves on to another easier prey. Dogs will detect the threat long before you ever will, both four and two legged animals...if you feel what I am putting down.

Colorado is an open carry state. Open carry how you see fit on your property. There are laws for certain areas and buildings within city limits. I open carry on my mountain property all the time, but that is the only place I do it. I am not a big fan of open carry, but a huge gun and 2nd amendment supporter. Probably due to the "element of surprise" and I do not like making others feel uncomfortable due to my own beliefs. I like to always suggest a CCW class or similar even if you do not intend to carry concealed. The classes are informative.

Colorado has no gun registry, so no problem there. The 12G, depending on style (if it is a pump, semi-auto, single or double) is the perfect weapon for most situations besides long range hunting. I carried a Remington 870 around in Montana when in the mountains with a specific load up of 00 buck and slugs for the rare run in with Grizzly bear or moose.

For the defense question, and I am not your legal representative, but if a weapon is used in self defense on your property, I would advise that they be inside your home and not outside of it, and if they are trying to leave...let them. An entry wound to the back does nothing for your defense and pretty much destroys your "in fear for my life" testimony. The only time using deadly force outside your home would be for someone being hurt and you were the 3rd party that protected them (lets say a neighbor's boyfriend was beating her with a bat brutally), and you went out to try and stop the certain death. Again, this is where going to a Conceal Carry Weapons class for our state is so beneficial. There are some gray areas, and things you need to decide on before even strapping on the weapon to your person.

Here is the Colorado Revised Statutes concerning weapons. A good read.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/firearmstatutes

Watt maker likes this.
  30. Feb 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Damn man, you are like me...an idiot magnet. It took me a long time to understand I wasn't alone. Welcome to the club brother.

RLHULK[QUOTED] and MatthewPTguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top