1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel economy question

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ToyotaTundraMike, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike [OP] Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Just wondering about the gas mileage on our Tundras.

I ended up with a 2wd 4.6L since I got a really good deal on one and I didn't need the extra power of the 5.7 since all I tow is a small flats boat. I also appreciated the advertised 15/19 MPG as opposed to the 13/17 or whatever the 5.7 4WD was advertised at.

After using the truck about 7 months for my DD at work (a bunch of city driving with with many 2 hour road trips on the weekends) my MPG indicator says 14.9. This is with stock rims/tires and stock suspension. Whats the deal? Is the indicator off or is something up with my truck? I know its an average and whenever I tow the boat it takes a hit but it seems like I should still be getting more than that with as much highway driving as I do, especially with the 4.6L. (And it''s not like I have a heavy foot, because I don't even have a nice exhaust yet that would make me want to get on it more)

Have you guys found that the indicator is low for you as well and I would get better results calculating it by hand?

MPG isn't the reason I bought a truck, and I don't even pay for my gas with the company I'm currently with so it's not a big deal, but I would like to know if there is something going on or if the trucks MPG indicator just sucks. I plan to add some heavier tires and a leveling kit soon so I know it's gonna take a big hit.

2. Feb 1, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    gromit615

gromit615 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM
    Got a pretty sweet "Predator" sticker on my back glass. Truxedo tonneau. AVS in-channel wind deflectors.
    I've had my 4.6 '14 for about a month now (purchased used) and am always keenly aware of my mpg readings. I compare my own math at the pump vs the digital readout in the truck and there is usually about a .5+ mpg or so difference (digital readout says better mpg than my math). I don't have a heavy foot, have about a 60/40 mixture of hwy/city, and I don't really use the a/c or heat. I've been getting about 17.5-18 mpg based on my math. This current tank is going to fall below that, I'm certain, because I had to use the a/c for my wife as a passenger (i'm a windows partially down kinda guy). Just my $0.02

3. Feb 1, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I don't think I have ever owned a vehicle that lived up to its advertised MPG. I think those numbers are designed mainly for amusement. If your truck is lifted, and/or has bigger grippier tires, that would affect your result. Other than that, the usual blather about tire pressure, clean air filters, spark plugs, etc. applies.

4. Feb 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    alalmcgrath

alalmcgrath Old Fart at Large!

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 SEQUOIA SR5
    None yet
    2011 4.6 DC. I get 16.2 (calculated by hand) with mostly mountain twisties. I was getting 18-18.5 when I was commuting 80 miles a day, about 3/4 of it freeway and 1/4 twisties.

On a 300 mile freeway trip I got 20 mpg.

5. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Hmm, maybe tugging the boat had more of an effect than I thought. Is there a way to reset the average MPG that shows on the display that way I can go a few weeks without pulling anything and see what it says?

6. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Just push the display button in for a few seconds until it resets to zero.

ToyotaTundraMike[OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top