1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Trd sway bar.....

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JerseyTundra1260, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Trd pro oem

2. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    TundraCoast

TundraCoast Member In Good Standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    1794 on the inside - PRO on the outside
    Maybe Toyota will make a 'sway-bar removal port" like the oil-change port on the TRD skid plate hahahahah

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  3. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited Crew TRD Off-Road
    Pro Grill and Bulge TRD sway BAK MX4 Tonneau
    Easy. Especially if you have access to a lift.

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I think you might be confuscious........I mean confused!

Smiley[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Yeah I was just wondering if the cost plus removal of the skid was worth the benefit of the, somewhat at best, improved handling. If i understand the reviews so far, it sounds like it might help a little. I'm not sold on justifying the cost mostly and time needed secondary to remove and replace the 1 that's already there. I mean if it just looks, why not just paint the existing sway bar, and even that can probably get away with just painting skid out toward wheels.

I'm still waiting to hear yeah makes a decent difference.

6. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I'm specifically interested in your review since it sounds like we have similiar setups. Besides looks as a bonus, would u pay for it again if u had to do over?

See I also have the sso slimline hybrid oem bumper paired with warn platinum Xeon winch and Baja designs s8 lightbar. I know the bumper skid and factory butt right up against eachother so I'm not so sure it would be an easy install for me. I can say this for sure, I'm not removing my bumper and all the shit in there for a minimal positive benefit in feel. Matter of fact, if it was anymore than just removing trd skid I don't think I'd even do it for a big increased benefit. Factory skid fine, sso bumper and skid now we're really pushing it. Hmmm decisions decisions. Hopefully I remember to take a good look at what's involved in my specific situation before I just get in one of those just buy shit moods. Like the 1 I just had a week ago lol.
    20170820_143316.jpg

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Maybe I could get away looking at the pic above with just removing my factory tow hooks and the 4 Allen key bolts to just remove the bumper skid plate piece, then the trd skid. I'll have to take a better look b4 and if I pull the trigger on the front sway.

Guys pls keep the reviews coming, they are very helpful. The more detailed the better.

8. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways

The hardest part of this was taking the TRD skid off slowly... 1-2 turns at a time per bolt so as not to lose the lock washers that keep the bolts in place. Once that was off... it was a piece of cake. Nothing else should need be removed. When you have both the stock and TRD sway in hand, you will realize how much Heavier the TRD is and question how the factory one even worked at all... it feels hollow. That alone assured me of the cost... $170 is well worth it, regardless of % of improvement. As far as improvement... It is stiffer in the corners, and retains control better through extended turns. I look at it and love the way it looks, but knowing how much BEEFIER it was off the truck, I can be assured that it will give me a lifetime of performance. Hope this helps. No regrets, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] and nk1794 like this.
  9. Mar 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    nk1794

nk1794 Always torque to spec

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    SnugTop, TRD Catback, DECKed Storage, TRD Sway Bar, ESP Under Seat Storage, Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dashcam
    Adding this mod to my list. Thanks

geno0506 and Toyotoholic[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    Roman

Roman Toyota Parts Master Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    Got some in today that looked like they were dragged around on some rocks by a caveman. I'm going to file a claim with Toyota, and hopefully they will start packing these things in their own box. They might have to learn the hard way, though.

nk1794 likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    SnugTop, TRD Catback, DECKed Storage, TRD Sway Bar, ESP Under Seat Storage, Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dashcam
    Let me know when you get more in.

12. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Maybe offer at huge discount, if so put me 1st on list, I'll take 1.

13. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I agree. For the low cost and ease of install, I’d do it again. And again. If I had to.

14. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    Roman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    I've got some more in stock that are ok. It's just the two latest ones came in looking like crap. They shipped them using FedEx instead of bringing them in themselves with our stock order. :annoyed:

15. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    Roman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    They'll take them back. They don't issue credits or anything, otherwise I'd be able to do something like that.

16. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Cool. How do I go about getting one?

17. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    Roman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    geno0506 likes this.
  18. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Roman[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ok tnx for info.

20. Mar 20, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Roman[QUOTED] and mgm16trdpro like this.
  21. Mar 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    We appreciate all u do for us. I've got a bunch of things I want to eventually do. If sales ever happen on front sway, grab handle, 18 leds, stuff like that pls lmk. I just need to be nudged off the cliff. All things I want but got some others I need to order and pay for 1st. But if ever a deal comes thru that's too good to pass, please feel free to let me know. Tnx Roman.

22. Mar 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    Roman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Franklin, TN
    Got an answer on the front sway bar differences. I had to contact my regional parts rep who contacted TRD about it.

-The Red TRD Sway Bar has an increased spring rate of about 20% over the OE bar, much stiffer

-OE is hollow, red is solid for the increased rate

23. Mar 29, 2018 at 10:07 AM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    That’s good to know. Thank you.

24. Mar 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I knew that stock one had to be hollow!

Roman likes this.
  25. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Here is it. Does anyone know the torque spec?
    It's very well packed. Thank you, Roman. @Roman
    It's so heavy I might lose a couple of MPG. :D
    upload_2018-3-29_19-40-13.jpg
    upload_2018-3-29_19-40-27.jpg
    upload_2018-3-29_19-40-39.jpg
    upload_2018-3-29_19-41-0.jpg

Roman, Toyotoholic and mgm16trdpro like this.
  26. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    Borgs

Borgs New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    I torqu d mine til my one knuckle bled. You may be looking for more precise specs but that’s on you.

27. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    :rofl:
    upload_2018-3-29_19-55-37.jpg

Ben_onewise likes this.
  28. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Check out this thread someone gave a page or 2 behind this page.

29. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    nk1794

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    Great info! Thanks
    Thank you

30. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax

Products Discussed in

To Top