1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Sway Bar Delete?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by TheManderson, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Mar 21, 2023 at 10:48 AM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    Nope, Ironman... cheapos (relatively)... setup in sig. Blasting across the desert whoops isn't something I've tried. I doubt the IMs cool well enough to do that for long periods. Plenty of washboard and rough dirt though.

alb1k[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    It would be nice to run those real whoops fast, but that’s another ballgame all together…

rruff[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2023 at 2:54 PM
    Efreet6669

Efreet6669 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Limited Red Salsa Pearl,'23 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    This was one of the most interesting threads I’ve read. Thanx all

4. Mar 27, 2023 at 11:25 AM
    trailhunters

trailhunters New Member

Member:
    Time for someone to come out with quick disconnects!

Tundratic and alb1k like this.
  5. Aug 21, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    AND

AND New Member

Member:
    Washington, PNW
    CAn you post some pics of the front, interested because front end links also act as steering stops.

6. Aug 22, 2023 at 8:42 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Why not leave the rear bar connected to force the IFS to do more of the heavy lifting?

7. Jan 14, 2024 at 7:18 AM
    Strider Wolf

Strider Wolf New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    LED swap, topper, ceramic 15% tint fronts, limo for backs and topper… more to come!

8. Jan 14, 2024 at 7:24 AM
    Strider Wolf

Strider Wolf New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    LED swap, topper, ceramic 15% tint fronts, limo for backs and topper… more to come!
    Just got a 2016 Tundra 4x4, live in CO and been reading up on all of this…. I watched Tinerer’s vid and found it quite informative.

I am curious who’s added a rear and taken off the front sway bar? What’s that ride like. I’ll admit, I know it’s a big truck, I get it, but if a rear sway bar tightens up the roll and a front delete keeps articulation, I’d be interested.

on another note, mine is stock now. In 2-3 years I’ll likely do a 2” lift and level, slightly taller tires and a leaf add. Do folks doing this need and extension or shim addition? I’ve seen both, I just don’t want to attach a rear sway bar to the side of the rear axle.

and for note, I do 95% city driving, no towing but appreciate the beast mode button, and do 12-20 trips to the mountains for mild dirt road 4x4ing for hunting and camping. Clearance is my only concern with the sway bar TBH.

thanks all!

9. Jan 14, 2024 at 7:36 AM
    AND

AND New Member

Member:
    Washington, PNW
    You might get your answer sooner if you post this on the 2nd gen side of this forum. You posted this on the 3rd gen forum. The 3rd gen comes with both front and rear and I can say that removing the front swaybar works perfect

10. Jan 14, 2024 at 7:53 AM
    Strider Wolf

Strider Wolf New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Ha! Thanks and apologies! But appreciate your input!

AND likes this.
  11. Jan 14, 2024 at 11:07 AM
    ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    22' AG SR5 TRD OR
    In my GX470 I ran no front with a rear, no rear with a front and no sway bars at all. It was decent off-road, but not enough of a benefit to justify the atrocious on road handling.

I ran Icon 2.5 external resi shocks and 2.5 Radflos aldo and neither shock improved things.

There's lot of guys with far more engineering knowledge than I have that suggest the sway bar does more to keep a wheel in contact with the ground, then no sway bar does because it's applying downward pressure, not just allowing the wheel to droup lower.

I may be wrong, but in my experimentation, leaving both bars on provided the best results.

Strider Wolf likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2024 at 12:27 PM
    Nm6300'asl

Nm6300'asl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC SR5 4x4
    Oem tonneau, side steps, spray in liner. Trd skidplate.
    Leaving both bars on for pavement, yes. But for off-road removing at least the front on ifs suspension allows better articulation to keep tires in contact with the ground.

Strider Wolf likes this.
  13. Jan 14, 2024 at 1:12 PM
    ArBrnSnpr

ArBrnSnpr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    22' AG SR5 TRD OR
    Strider Wolf likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2024 at 9:08 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    Who are these "lot of guys"?

Sway bars are an extra spring that resists independent suspension motion of each wheel on an axle. It offers no resistance to wheels moving up and down in unison, just when one wants to go up and the other down, relative to the frame. Since that is basically what articulation *is*, and the sway bar is resisting it, then I don't see how it can be an aid for keeping wheels on the ground. It's good for flatter cornering though.

Tinker's findings with the rear swaybar are due to the solid axle rear having a lot less resistance to articulation than the IFS front. I think. There is probably something to be said for having front and rear articulation stiffness in balance, if maximum articulation is your goal. And on our trucks there is very forward weight bias which factors into it.

I have a loaded camper on my truck now, with still no sway bars. It still handles just fine on the road, with no issues at all exceeding the speed limit on twisty mountain switchbacks and freeway onramps. A little lean sure, but very secure feeling, no wallowing or tire squeal.

My truck is the older model, but I think the new ones would naturally have less articulation, because they have torsionally stiff fully boxed frames (yes, my frame articulates!) and come with swaybars front and rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top