1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Damage From Being Rear Ended

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Elduder, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    tbrown

tbrown 2017 CM FFV

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Blazing Blue
    Magnuson Supercharger Kooks long tube headers King 3.0 remote reservoir w/ clockers front King 3.0 triple bypass remote reservoir rear Deaver Custom leaf Method 312 Corsa Exhaust w/ custom stainless bro’s resonator tip Custom HP tune Viair 400c Dual Onboard Headlight Revolution Stealth Bar Baja design XL 80 ditch lights on SDHQ Ditch brackets Victory 4x4 sliders and bed Molle RCI Skids C4 fabrication overland front bumper Smittybilt x2o 12k winch Toyo Open Country RT 37’s Icon Billet Delta UCA’s Nitro 5.29’s ARB Air locker front and rear Switch Pros Leitner Designs Bed Rack ICS Fab Dash Mount Expedition One Dual Swing Rear Bumper Viper remote start Rosen in headrest DVD players
    Frame bent after I was rear ended mildly (mildly enough for guy to take off, hit and run). Had to get a new bumper and truck went on frame puller to get back in spec. No issues with alignment, balance, ride etc. 2017 truck

2. May 25, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    Jmor6766

Jmor6766 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD SR5 4.6L
    For anyone searching this thread I used to work in and own a body shop when I was younger for a decade. Frames can be repairable no problem sometimes but the damage seen on some of the pictures in the first page with twisting and crumpling of the frame like that will never be the same structurally and will just crumple if in a new accident later even if straightened. Not safe for you and your family. If the frame is just out of measurement with no major crumples like that it might be repairable with a good tech and a legit auto frame machine and tram gauge to straighten or sometimes with proper sleeving and new frame sections can be made strong again (requiring a clip from another junk yard wreck but from the good end) but not usually cost effective . I definitely would not accept insurance saying the frame in those pictures were repairable. Coincidentally that is one of the main reasons why I got out of that trade. Between fighting with insurance agents about what it takes for an appropriate repair and how much they are willing to pay for tasks and what they refuse to pay for and dragging the repair out fighting over money while your customer is out of a vehicle factored in with the health conditions at a shop with all the chemicals I had enough over 15 years ago. If your frame is in that condition don’t accept it, talk to someone higher up, and get a lawyer if you have to. It’s not worth you or your family’s safety because some agent is trying to look good saving the company money!

Rocko9999 likes this.
  3. May 26, 2021 at 10:47 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Find a good shop - let THEM guide the process.

Some good info in this thread - the problem is 98% of people in an accident don’t know How to use it.

In short - frame damage is repairable - but certain types of damage is not. There’s a difference for example in mash and twist and one ain’t fixable.

Use an iCar shop/tech - they have the training and experience fixing these things. Most rear end collisions that cause non repairable damage are going to destroy the bed floor too on a truck.

Biggest problem at times is someone googling “frame damage” after a loss and somehow thinking they can gain the level of expertise that someone who has been hands on with vehicles for 20 years has gained in 45 minutes.

Jmor6766 likes this.
  4. Jul 30, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    siberian723

siberian723 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    Do you think this is bad? I got rear ended yesterday, don't see any frame bending back near the bumper or under the bed but up a little forward towards the rear cab area there is this ripple

PXL_20210730_173852427.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210729_212318492.jpg

5. Jul 30, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    Dang, even the frame make out of chess now???

6. Jul 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    Rodtheviking

Rodtheviking New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vancouver, WA
    2017 Limited Crew TRD, Ironman Pros with JBA uppers. Prinsu rack. RSI, RCI sliders
    We just had a car totaled in May, had it a total of 24 hours and got rear ended at a light. Dude ran of course, road rage incident that we got caught in. Luckily there were a bunch of people with cameras around and some wonderful guy followed him to his apartment. The car had 97 miles on it...

And on a side note I saw the guy out driving around in the same truck, I know for a fact he has a suspended license, no insurance or registration. I called the officer that did our accident report but I doubt anything will happen.

Sucks bad but it get better, sorry Bro.

7. Jul 30, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    Rodtheviking

Rodtheviking New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vancouver, WA
    2017 Limited Crew TRD, Ironman Pros with JBA uppers. Prinsu rack. RSI, RCI sliders
    Yeah, not good.

8. Jul 30, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    Chip_Tundra

Chip_Tundra New Member

Member:
    If there were operational sections in these frames, it would be as easy as replacing the piece of the frame that is damaged. Unfortunately, Toyota doesn't make them this way. Once the frame has been compromised, it has to be replaced with a new one.

Edit: I've had to have a frame replaced before, and the bill was north of $20K. The at fault party's insurance assumed all liability, and diminished value. Ended up keeping the truck, then it got rear ended again. Couldn't save it from a total after the 2nd time.

9. Jul 31, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Could be crumple zones

If it were a high impact crash - it wouldn’t se surprising to see energy travel that far forward - but carrying towards the cab would be odd to me as design is to steer energy away from passengers for safety.

Simple answer - look at other side for similar damage - if it’s there in exact same spot - it’s not damage.

That photo doesn’t look like mash to me - also see that same ripple on up the line. Mash is least common frame issue and that much - we wouldn’t be talking about frame damage as you’d probably be needing a new bed and cab too.

Twist and diamond more common from a rear end in my experience.

Products Discussed in

To Top