1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Lights Not Working... Help?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 650h1, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 5.7L DC, Bilstein 5100s
    Damn it. I did the Rigid foglight mod on my truck, and they quit working last night. Were working great and everything was fine. I'll have to double check all fuses and connections again tonight, will report back with what I find out. I was doing a bit of high-speed off-roading without the front fender liners installed (still need to do a final tighten on the fogs), so maybe it just got some water in the connectors and caused a fuse to pop.

2. Sep 4, 2019 at 2:49 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Was this fuse located under the hood or on the inside?

I looked under the hood and I have a fog relay, and I can't seem to find a FOG or similar fuse on the inside??

3. Sep 6, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Hey I believe I'm running into this issue, but I cannot for the life of me find a fuse labeled "fog" on my inside panel???

4. Sep 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Do you have any idea what fuse it was that they replaced? The label of it that is?

5. Sep 6, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    All they told me that they replaced the fuse on the driver side panel, They really wouldn’t clarify which one it was, and that there are two fuses for the fog, i would figure it would be the same one on the engine fuse box. Hopefully this will help.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    BeachyTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Sadly I can't find any fuses labeled for the fog on in the interior fuse panel. The one under the hood is a relay, which I've checked by swapping it out with a relay i know is working, and no luck. I guess i'll have to have start pulling a bunch of fuses and go from there.

Thanks for the help though!

7. Sep 6, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    If you do find it, lets us know. I sure would like to know also. My Warranty is about to end, i rather be able to dix it myself than take it to the dealer next time it happens, hopefully not.

8. Sep 6, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    I've actually got a test light already, but I was not aware that it was as simple as touching it to the back of the fuse to get the tester to light up. I will try and give this a go tonight.
    I think i've got a volt meter somewhere too, but hopefully I won't need that.

9. Sep 6, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Alright fellas, I had some luck. After checking all the fuses (so I thought), I tried doing the "bent relay tab" trick for the anytime fog by using a jumper wire from the relay to a ground. No luck. I thought maybe I picked the wrong side of the relay, so I tried the other part of the relay. Once I touched the jumper wire to the ground, it stuck to the ground (when it popped a fuse). I then realized my tail lights were now out. Cut to the chase -
    I found TWO blown fuses (due to my idiocy) and replaced them both. Viola! Fog lights were on and working as were my tail lights. NOTE: When checking fuses with a test light, test BOTH sides of the fuse. :oops:

This first photo shows the fuse that I replaced under the hood. You can see here that I'm blind and the cover clearly lists "FOG". I circled it in the picture for reference. I believe this to be my original problem.
    InkedHood Fuse_LI.jpg

This second photo is the fuse that I had to replace due to my idiocy, which is the one that took out my tail lights. This is located by the drivers side kick panel, and you only need to remove the fuse box lid, no part of the dash comes out. It's pretty clear which one I replaced, as I didn't have the proper fuse on-hand, so I used a taller one temporarily. The easy way to locate this one is it's directly across from the 30A. This is the TAIL fuse.
    Inked20190906_181109_LI.jpg

This final photo shows the cover from the drivers side fuse cover, showing the relationship between the 30A fuse to the 15A tail fuse.
    Inked20190906_181048_LI.jpg

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how things go. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing with my lights just got moisture in the plug and caused a short. The Amazon connector I got for my stock harness to fog harness got the wires flopped, so the plug doesn't actually clip and seal properly like it's supposed to...

Hopefully this will help save somebody else a little headache!

831Tun, equin and NewImprovedRon like this.
  10. Sep 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    Awesome bro, thanks for the write up.

BeachyTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 14, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Hidock86

Hidock86 New Member

Member:
    Did you put led headlights in that is what I did. My fogs worked before as well I e done all that you did and my assumption is the headlights are throwing something off my hi beam indicator doesn’t come on when I put my hi beams on and my high beams also work when I switch my fogs on

12. Jan 25, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Thanks for posting this Brandon. I noticed 2 days ago that my fog lights weren't working. So I checked the fuse of course, that wasn't it. I started thinking about what I'd done to the truck lately..... I'd recently removed the rear harness for the parking sensors and BSM systems. Before reconnecting all that I did a quick internet search and came upon this thread. I had some time this morning while waiting for glue to dry, not kidding. I started checking the fuses under the dash and shonuf, it was that 15 amp fuse. Without your post I would've eventually pulled and tested every fuse. So thanks for saving me a bunch of time.
    I completely agree with what @NewImprovedRon said about a blown fuse being a message that something isn't right. Well, I remember shorting a wire while removing the rear harness. I was also hooking up license plate lights. So, I'm rather certain I know the cause of the blown fuse.

13. Jan 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    Glad I could help ya out! And that sounds like that's exactly what caused it.

I think mine originally had to do with the adapter plugs I had; They came backwards from Amazon, so they plugged in, but didn't clip or seal properly. I finally took the time to disconnect them and switch them around so that they were wired the proper direction, everything clipped together and sealed like it was supposed to, and I haven't had any problems since.

831Tun[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 12, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    I recently got a 2013 Sequoia Limited. Headlights & fogs looked like they had been in the Sahara for 100 years. 2018+ LEDS took care of the headlights & Diode Dynamic plug & play fogs were my solution for the fogs.

I have no power to the fogs, checked every fuse & swapped two identical relays. Tried the bent pin ground mod, no light. Lights work connected to the headlight connector.

I found a post on another forum that said to check the following:

Junction Boxes A36 or A44
    The Fog Light Ground Connectors A1 or A2

Damned if I have a clue where they are.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

15. Jan 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    jcarp1306

jcarp1306 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRDpro
    I have a 2017 tundra trd pro. I put diode Dynamic LED fogs in and they worked great. About 10 days later my new Anzo headlights showed up from jegs. I put them in and the fog lights quit working. I found that the tail light fuse under the dash was blown, and that was knocking out the fog lights. I plugged the factory headlights back in and changed the fuse and the fogs worked again. Tried the swap again juuuust to check one more time. Blew again. I swapped them back changed the fuse and I’m heading to exchange the LED head lights for another type. I hope this helps someone else.

WVI likes this.
  16. May 17, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Jzaleski

Jzaleski New Member

Member:
    Glad I found this forum, but no joy in terms of finding the issue: my fog lights went out spontaneously and the fuse was not blown. Replaced the lamps - still no joy. Insight is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. 2013 Tundra SR5 5.7L

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  17. May 20, 2022 at 1:33 PM
    auripod

auripod New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlen
    Any car is equipped with fog lights for a reason – they play a very important role in conditions of poor visibility. The fact is that standard optics behave incorrectly in fog conditions – light is simply reflected from the water dust contained in the air and dissipates. Visibility remains almost zero. The fog lamp, in turn, emits a wide beam in the horizontal plane, illuminating only the road, and not the surrounding space. You can purchase excellent LED light bulbs. by installing them in the headlights. Good luck to you!

Last edited: May 22, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top