1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fluid Film rust preventing frame and undercarriage spray

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sep 11, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Rust be like " Who is that Pudge ? messing my rust plans for his truck"

NUDRAT and Pudge[OP] like this.
  2. Sep 11, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    jml403

jml403 New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    I’ve been using cans of this on My trucks and all kinds of random around the house stuff. It hadn’t occurred to me to pick up the gallons and spray it! I think I’ll start doing this soon. I bet it’s lets messy too, the aerosol cans end up dripping and squirting all over the damn place.

3. Sep 11, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It's much less messy than I anticipated to be honest. I was prepared for a huge mess but really it's not bad. I did it in my driveway today and that was better than the garage, the garage floor got awfully slick and I had to wash it really well, no issues on asphalt driveway. I only have a small pancake compressor and it works great at about 90 psi.

jml403[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    One thing killing me right now is that my OEM running boards are in a spot that I can not pull the plugs on the rocker panels to be able to spray in there. I wanna spray inside the rockers but I really dont want to have to remove or even loosen my running boards. Stupid design by Toyota on this one, I love my running boards but now wish I had a different style that leaves the rocker plugs accessible

NUDRAT and jml403 like this.
  5. Sep 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Midnite72

Midnite72 Anything DIRT !!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
    Hey Matt - u ever get around to doing this ??
    Definitely putting it on my list - before the “BRINE” hits the road !!
    just wanted to see how it went for you ??

Sean - going to have to put you down on taxes this year - lol
    Following some of your GREAT recommendations ( 303 - solutions trim restorer- Wax addict) and now fluid film sure is costing me $$$$$$- but I can say so far so good - all products are GREAT - sure this will be same !!

Thx for your KNOWLEDGE !!

:spending:

NUDRAT and Pudge[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  6. Sep 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    No, haven't had the time. But really need to before the brine season.

Midnite72[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 25, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate that, I really do, and you're welcome. I try to only recommend stuff that I really like and find useful (often multipurpose), and do it with very little bias towards certain name brands. I learn so much here from everyone, I try a lot of stuff out and try to help others if I can.
    I like fluid film, some do not and prefer something that dries, like Amsoil HD metal protector. I have not tried that one, and fluid film has always been reliable for me so I'm sticking with it. I mentioned multipurpose, fluid film is great on battery terminals and as a lubricant, as well as other things, just FYI

GODZILLA and Midnite72[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Oct 3, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    Trikerider

Trikerider New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited CM
    I have the running boards on my truck and was able to remove some of the plugs and spray the rockers, if you get the spray hose for the aerosols it has about a 12" flex on it and you don't have to remove every plug, only about every other plug.

9. Oct 15, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I took the time today to remove my drop in bed liner, clean the bed, spray it all with fluid film, put down a weathertech underliner then put the drop in back in. Because I had to remove my roll up tonneau and bed rails it took a couple hours. There was ZERO rust under the liner, yes some scuffed paint but absolutely no rust. I could see evidence of standing water but there was no damage. The fluid film and underliner should prevent any future issues, or maybe one day I can get a spray in done. But until then, I feel confident I will not have bed rust under my drop in liner. Oh, I also installed a swing case I found on craigslist :) I forgot to take a pic of the underliner in place, it's a thin rubber mat that supposedly prevents damage under a drop in.
    Vacuumed and swept out. You can see some scuffs but no rust
    20191015_123019.jpg
    Sprayed with fluid film
    20191015_131739.jpg
    Swing case and liner back in
    20191015_152419.jpg
    20191015_152445.jpg

10. Oct 15, 2019 at 8:09 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Did'ja spray into the tailgate too? ...while pulling off the plastics...

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Oct 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:
    Yes sir, not today though. A couple weeks ago when I was adding a washer to my DIY pop n lock

NUDRAT[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Wiscdave

Wiscdave New Member

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra Sport
    Old ride 13 RW BA budget, 3/2 lift JL W7
    I am up for anything, salt up here sucks too. Does this wash off in the winter when you use a good quality car wash with the undercarriage spray?

13. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:44 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Because I use FF I purposely do not do any undercarriage washing during the winter. It has worked well for me. In the spring I wash it all really well with soap and power washer.
    It is very oily and dust and dirt stick to it forming a barrier that salt and water can not penetrate.

It washes off with a powerwasher. Over time road spray and spraying with a hose, it'll wash off. But it has always lasted me well through winter. I apply it in October and it's good thru May or so, and much longer in areas that dont get sprayed down much. I hear the amsoil lasts longer and adheres better and is less likely to wash away. For now I'm confident in my fluid film but I won't bash amsoil because it is as good or better than FF.

GODZILLA likes this.
  14. Oct 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    WhiskeyVictor

WhiskeyVictor New Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited MGM
    Go Rhino RB20, DiamondBack HD Coated, Black Badges
    Just paid $175 for a shop to FF my 2019. It was well worth it and very well done.

Before brining it in, I dropped the spare tire, masked it off with some cheap tape, and used the CRC cosmoline on the steel rim, both sides:

P.S. If you're going to swap your license plate lights with LEDs, do it BEFORE you FF...

-WV

15. Oct 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    My buddy stopped by today with his kids, while the girls were playing I said hey let me spray your Tundra. I got to try my new ramps and they worked well and made a huge difference. I got his Tundra sprayed in about 30 minutes and did a very thorough job, everywhere i could reach and thick coats, I used about 2 quarts. He was pretty excited and was shocked how easy it was. He has a 16 crewmax limited with low miles, his frame and undercarriage were in meter shape than mine when I first started spraying so if he likes the results I'll spray his yearly, itll pay for his and my fluid film for the year.

GODZILLA and TILLY like this.
  16. Oct 26, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    longhornfan2324

longhornfan2324 New Member

Member:
    What ramps did you get?

17. Oct 26, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I got a set of 13,000 lb. plastic ramps from harbor freight They seemed to work just fine. I did back them up with jack stands because they're plastic and I am not wanting to get crushed.
    I used a 20% coupon , I just got this 30% in my email so if you go tomorrow you can get a good deal. I now use these ramps as wheel stops in my garage, I pull up til the ramps stop me which leaves me an inch from the front wall of my garage.

Screenshot_20191026-231620_Chrome.jpg

WFD473 and P-Factor like this.
  18. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    Glaze22

Glaze22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax
    I just ordered another big 5 gallon bucket of fluid film today!!!! I cant wait for it to get to me so I can make the inside of the dealership shop look like one big hazy cloud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One question though. My Tundra bed is rhino lined, I have also put the Tundra rubber mat in the bed. Should I lift the mat and spray the rhino lining and then put the mat back down just to be safe? Or will the rhino lining keep it from rusting? I have a bed cover, but was just wondering how well the lining will work with puddled water under the mat for weeks on end?

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  19. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Lol it'll definitely make a cloud. I will not be spraying in my garage again. Driveway from now on, what a slippery mess

NUDRAT likes this.
  20. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    I wouldn't. My experience with lined beds, the water won't be an issue under your mat except in allowing slimy stuff to grow on the backside of the mat. Unless you've any cracks/tears in the lining, I see no benefit to spraying it. But definitely spray the underside of the bed.

GODZILLA likes this.
  21. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 New Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    I need to do this!!! Wish there was a shop in Virginia. My driveway isnt kind for this with the overspray... The only place ive found sprays the black goopy stuff...I think around $500, but I think I like this better...

22. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    jtwags, Pudge[OP] and GODZILLA like this.
  23. Oct 29, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    It's ok to beat the dead horse when it is good info. I watched that and opted for fluid film. I like the fact that I can get it off if I want to without needing aggressive chemicals or a paint scraper. To each thier own, but fluid film gets my vote.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  24. Nov 10, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Tried to make you proud today @Pudge

Decided to wipe it on this time which made it go on a lot more even. Not bad looking for an 18 year old frame.

1110191253a.jpg

25. Nov 10, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    You definitely made me proud, and confident in my 5 year old frame, yours looks amazing. Nice job. I may try the wipe on method for the flat areas. Thanks for posting this

26. Nov 10, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    GELCW

GELCW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2018 Gray Tundra Platinum
    yeah I’m with ya, I haven’t found anyplace in the DC area that does it. I have a feeling we are going to have a snowy winter this year.

27. Nov 12, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    We had an extremely rare snow event in Knoxville today. In the 24 years I've lived here I've never seen it snow in November. Anyways, when I got to work I looked at the frame and all the water droplets had beaded up. Applying fluid film is almost equivalent to waxing the paint. It's nice seeing the stuff bead up just like it does on the body. Regardless, I was happy they didn't salt the roads this time.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  28. Dec 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    Doylfish

Doylfish New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794 Crewmax
    Crap. I’m getting FF’d tomorrow and I just ordered led license plate lights from headlight revolution over Black Friday. They haven’t come in yet, guess I’m in for a treat when I do get around to install

29. Dec 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Doylfish

Doylfish New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794 Crewmax
    Think it would be alright to spray fluid film underneath a bedrug liner? I’ve got same insert now like you, but plan to pull that soon and replace with bedrug. I’m sure my paint underneath the insert will be scuffed as well and want to take care of that before putting the bedrug in

30. Dec 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I think the bedrug may absorb some of the fluid film, it also may stink because of that but I doubt it would hurt. You could clean it well and apply some kind of sio2 or ceramic style sealant under the bed rug too, it should last a long time because it won't be exposed to UV sunlight

Products Discussed in

To Top