1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fluid Film rust preventing frame and undercarriage spray

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Aug 22, 2019 at 3:28 AM
    Dabutcher

Dabutcher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue Tundra SR5 CM 4x4 Beauty
    Toytec Boss coilover, Ray10’s ,Ridge Grapplers,Bilstein 5100,BAM 8”,TRD sway,
    I used this FF last fall and plan to use it every fall. I bought the three can set for $30.00. My truck is from Nashville so it has only seen two winters here. Do not spray when it is windy out.
    Don’t ask me how I know!
    Nice write up. Peace. D

NUDRAT likes this.
  2. Aug 22, 2019 at 3:46 AM
    hitech

hitech New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    SOMD
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM TRD OR Limited
    Another vote for FF. I used it twice a year on my Tacoma. After 4 years of using FF, the underside of my Taco still looked new. When I sold, the new owner asked me why the undercarriage was wet, he thought something was leaking. I explained what I did, and how often I applied it. He was appreciative of the steps I took to keep the truck rust free and commented on how the underside looked perfect, just a little wet and shiny. I now use it on my Tundra, takes a few cans to do, and has a smell to it, but you get used to it. Tundra, just like my Taco, still looks new underneath.

NUDRAT and Mnorris1206 like this.
  3. Aug 22, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    NUDRAT likes this.
  4. Aug 22, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    Krown would be the same thing?

I planned on getting mine sprayed in October

Luckydog likes this.
  5. Aug 22, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    From what I hear, krown is a little better and lasts longer, especially inside door and rocker panels. It's more expensive and I haven't seen a DIY version

6. Aug 22, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    Trikerider

Trikerider New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited CM
    No need to drill holes with the fluid film, they sell a wand extension for the can that you can get up in the drain holes at the bottom of the doors. I removed the rubber plugs in the rockers but would imagine the fluid film would stay in the rockers a long time with plugs in. The only place I really see the fluid film disappear is the wheel wells and the lower a-arms and rear diff. It appears to stay really in the frame rails and the underside of the floor pan and bed.

NUDRAT, Pudge[OP] and Mnorris1206 like this.
  7. Aug 22, 2019 at 10:40 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It definitely burns off the exhaust lol. Truck looked like it was on fire when I got to work today and again when I got home from work.
    One nice thing is the stuff doesn't smell too bad
    Next year I may try woolwax, same company makes it and fluid film. They say its thicker, lasts longer and smells better.

Tundra2 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Aug 23, 2019 at 4:45 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    I also use this. 5 gal or so a year. In nw Ohio. I spray all my vehicles underneath, 3 years on coilovers and shocks and they look new. I'm impressed with it. Planning to do the inside of my excursions doors as they are prone to rust due to design. I use the same gun set up...I make a little side cash spraying frinds vehicles as well.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 23, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    It starting to level and "flow" into all the areas it should. Needs another spray at some point as I found some dry areas. I'll do it closer to winter. Looks really good and some areas that had some surface rust, no longer do.

20190823_163246.jpg
    20190823_163211.jpg
    20190823_163127.jpg

ackthresher, WFD473, NUDRAT and 2 others like this.
  10. Aug 23, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Mine was an '05. I had it checked right when they first started checking them. It passed, but they told me there were a couple spots to keep an eye on and to have it rechecked before the extended warranty ran out. A couple months before it ran out I checked it and found a hole by the driver side catalytic converter, I called my dealership and they told me they couldn't check it because it had already passed. I said, well you guys told me to come back before it ran out because I had some questionable spots. Ended up taking it to a different dealer, they checked it and said yes the frame needed to be replaced, but Toyota denied it because it passed originally. I went round and round with Toyota, went all the way up to the CEO's assistant, but nothing. Someone told me to have a body shop cut that portion of the frame out and weld in a new piece. I went to a place that I had my truck repaired at before and they told me there was no way in hell they would do that because of the possible liability of weakening the frame etc. This was all in the middle of the class action lawsuit against them. Ended up trading it in, they gave me full trade in on it. If I would've held onto it for another couple of months, the lawsuit would've gone through and I would've gotten the frame replaced.

11. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Ugh man that's brutal. I have heard so many nightmare stories about toyota frame replacements. This is one more for the list. The first gen buyback went really smooth for most, as long as you made it in time. The 2nd gens seemed to have so many issues. For me the fact there was no buyback was crappy, but at least they offered replacement, but they made it so hard for people to get it done which was really shitty. It almost made me steer way from Toyota until I saw my blue tundra, I fell in love and vowed I wouldn't let it rust out so I'd never have to deal with corporate toyota again

12. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Yep, I seriously looked at other trucks. Did a lot of research because Toyota pissed me off. I started reading a lot of stories of the big three denying warranty claims on trucks 2-3 years old. Lot of people having major problems with them after 100,000 miles or so. Figured I was bitching about a truck that was damn near perfect for 11 years. Keeping the frame rust free would be much easier than trying to deal with a lot of mechanical issues so I went with the Tundra and keep the frame sprayed, so far so good.

13. Aug 23, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    That was my thought and reasoning as well :thumbsup:

GODZILLA and NUDRAT like this.
  14. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I just got 5 gallons from advanced auto online for around $100. They had a 25% online coupon, I had a 10% cash back coupon with my credit card, and I went to advanced auto online via a shopping app called ibotta which gave me an additional 5% cash back. I'm good for several years now for about $15-20 per year after initial investment for the spray gun

NUDRAT likes this.
  15. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    until start you doing friends trucks too...:boink:

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    anyone know how this stuff acts with plywood?
    I'm thinking about the undercarriage of an RV.

17. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Before you know it I'll be competing with that "other guy" from granby lol. Although after doing this to my truck I am even more amazed how many trucks he does in a day. It's a messy, thankless job rolling around under the truck. He charges peanuts compared to what he could get for a spray. I don't wanna even do one more truck at this point lol. but he's a great guy and definitely is doing guys a favor. I sold him some parts from my old taco that he made into a bad ass bed canopy, I wanna go this fall just to see how it came out.

NUDRAT[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Sept. 22nd.

19. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    This is the first meet that I have not been working the weekend of the sprays. I hope to make it even though I'm not getting a spray. There is an air show that day right down the road I was thinking of taking Madelyn to see

P-Factor and NUDRAT[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    I've done this with the spray cans the last few years as well - I've gotten in the habit of buying a cheap 12x12 light duty tarp from Walmart. I lay the tarp down in the garage, drive on to it, spray to my heart's content, and then just throw the tarp away. They salt heavily here in the winter so rust prevention is a must. =(

21. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I will be heading to harbor freight for a tarp the next time I spray. I ended up using my foam cannon with some dawn and simple green then powerwasher disc thing to degrease my garage that I transformed into a skating rink with fluid film. On the bright side my garage floor is very clean now

22. Aug 25, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    just saying since you've done step 1....
    https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/skills-and-know-how/painting/how-to-paint-a-garage-floor

23. Aug 27, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Stocked up for years to come. Or if anyone wants a spray come on by and bring ca$h

20190827_133207.jpg

classiccat, TheBeast and NUDRAT like this.
  24. Aug 27, 2019 at 8:44 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Where's the disposable tarps? ;-)

25. Aug 27, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I spent the last of my money on fluid film so I'm tarpless. I'm gonna have some greasy grass in the back yard or a dark water beading rectangle in the driveway lol

TheBeast and NUDRAT[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Aug 27, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    note to self - bring plastic tarp when getting Tundra F.F.'d. :)
    Wonder what Tacoma guy does - I don't recall anything but ramps under the truck...

27. Aug 27, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Ramps would be helpful, making it a little easier to move around under there. Tarp would help too, I could slip and slide all over the place like a greased up pig. I think he does use a tarp and a tyvek suit too. Not me, I go with and old tee shirt and throw it out, soon to be naked cuz I'm running out of shirts. If you want a spray come on by, it'll cost you an old tee shirt, or an extra $5 for the nude job, up to the customer.

GODZILLA and NUDRAT[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Aug 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM
    Trikerider

Trikerider New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited CM
    I spray the vehicles over the gravel part of my driveway using and old piece of cardboard to slide around on. It definitely helps to jack the truck up some and lower the rear tire to access above that. If you open your front doors at the bottom there is a little rubber flap that can moved aside and if you park under a tree a lot that spot will fill up with leaves/needles. Good to get that stuff out of there and spray around.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  29. Aug 29, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    A gravel driveway is definitely the perfect place to do it.
    I will be spraying my truck again before winter and plan to do it while rotating the tires, I'll also drop the spare and spray up there, and get in those little dogleg areas near the door. I was amazed mine were clean, I rarely park outdoors but still figured I would have some junk in there. I also wanna pull the plugs on the rockers and hit inside those areas too

NUDRAT likes this.
  30. Sep 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Dropped the spare tire today, good thing too, it only had 25 psi in it so I filled it with air. Also spray the underside of the bed and frame as well as trailer hitch area and everywhere else I couldn't reach when the spare was in place. I didn't get any after pics from underneath, I was hot and greased up and didnt wanna crawl back under there.

I also vacuumed out the "dog leg" areas where the front door meets the fender, there is a rubber flap you can pull back to clear debris. After I cleared some leaves and vacuumed, I sprayed in that space with fluid film

20190911_164343.jpg
    20190911_164407.jpg
    20190911_170544.jpg

Ely010606, NUDRAT and TheBeast like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top