1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed mounting point for Yakima rack

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by TimSchaldach, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Apr 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    TimSchaldach

TimSchaldach [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab
    Hey Tundraheads,

My 2006 Double Cab has two Yakima roof racks mounted to the topper using an external aluminum track -- works great for most gear. But for longer loads, like a canoe, I add a bar over the cab. The bases for this third rack use clips that reach down into the gap between the door and the roof. The setup is plenty sturdy, but the clips create a break in the seal around the door that then causes serious whistling and noise at highway speeds. So I want to replace the temporary clip-style bases with fixed-point Yakima Landing Pads.

Questions:
    1. Are there any threaded mounting points under the plastic cover in the gutter/ditch? If so, I could use Landing Pad 11's.

2. If there are no factory mounting points in the ditch, should I use Landing Pad 7's?

3. If use Landing Pad 7's, where is it safe to drill holes in the strip of roof between the ditch and the door? Do I need to avoid anything related to the sun roof or anything else mechanical or electrical?

4. Am I on the wrong track altogether? Is there a better way to mount my third bar over the cab?

Thanks much for all your help.

2. Apr 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM
    jimf909

jimf909 Battery almost dead...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Washington or Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4.7 TRD w/LSD
    Dead stock with oem 16" starfish wheels. We'll see how long that lasts. :) Topper of unknown origin.
    Bear with me...

You solved problem #1, the need for a sturdy forward mounted crossbar but that created problem #2, whistling.

Before abandoning the solution for problem #1, have you considered solving for #2 with #1 in place? "The clips "create a break in the seal." My next step would be to recreate the seal: dirty socks, shop rag, any number of weather stripping options available at the local hardware store or amuhzon. Cram something in the door jamb to recreate the seal. It may be worth a try.

Second, is the whistling from the broken seal or the forward mounted bar? Both Yakima and Thule sell fairings for the front bar not only to advertise their products but to silence the whistle from those forward racks, i.e. the whistle may happen even if you bolt the rack towers to the roof. If the dirty sock in the door jamb doesn't work I'd try experimenting with a cardboard rack fairing.

After those fail, use drywall screws to screw the towers to the roof. JK. After those fail, I'd consider what you're suggesting: using a solution that does not clip to the door frame.

Also, welcome.

3. Apr 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    TimSchaldach

TimSchaldach [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab
    Thanks, Jim. I have some real long drywall screws, so that should work well. :)

Seriously, though, your advice is good. Right now, the whistling is too loud to know whether there's much noise from the crossbar -- so I'll start with the socks. The only change to your suggestion is that I'm sure the Mrs will insist I use clean ones.

jimf909 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top