1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First TT... Can I make this set up work?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by AGia15, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    AGia15

AGia15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM
    i am looking at acquiring a TT to be towed by my 2018 Tundra Crewmax Limited. I have attached the details for the trailer in the pictures, but everything I am reading on this forum is saying it won’t work.

My Tundra can definiately handle pulling the weight of the TT, but my concern is tongue weight, which seems significantly higher than others in this dry weight range. I want to make sure I am towing safely and legally.

The sticker on my Tundra says 1185lbs Payload, but the trailer claims 770lbs. I need to be able to carry myself, my wife and two kids, plus a medium sized dog.
    Do I need to look for a trailer with a lighter tongue weight or is there a way to resolve this concern while staying within GCVWR. I also have an equalizer hitch ready to go.

I apologize if this has been answered or something similar but I haven’t seen this particular type of question specific to the issue with tongue weight only.

Any advice, critiques, or additional info is welcome. Thanks!4F2E02F4-4976-4BE0-9DB3-E5B51F28446D.jpg

2. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    AGia15

AGia15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM
    Additionally, my calculations are somewhat conservative and I think I should be looking for a tongue weight of roughly 550lbs or even less given the payload on my trucks label and all cargo/ppl/pets. Thanks.

3. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    birdman076

birdman076 Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    Is the equalizer hitch a sway control only or weight distribution?

Some info on weight distribution https://www.etrailer.com/Best/Toyota/Tundra/Weight_Distribution

If you really want to get some good information call Rentz Trailers, they are local to me and ive been managing their websites for years now. They ship and you will find no one more knowledgeable on towing than the owner Neil. He built his first trailer when he was 7, trailers are his life. 727-863-2700 If Neil isn't in, talk to Phillip he's very knowledgeable as well and runs the place when Neil is not there.

GNTundra likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    @ColoradoTJ will be able to tell you if it'll work. My guess is yes.

757TUNDRA and zcarpenter92 like this.
  5. Oct 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Where did you get a payload of 1185? It should be 1630 for 4x2 and 1530 for 4x4. Even at that you probably need some help for the rear suspension.

6. Oct 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Every Tundra has a sticker with a stated payload capacity. The more options you have in your Tundra, the more weight, and the less payload. My 2014 4x4 Crew Sr5 has a payload sticker of approx. 1300lbs.

OP, the hitch weight you referenced seems right. Normally, the hitch weight of a trailer is 12-15% of the GVWR.

I have a TT that has a GVWR of 4500 lbs and a tongue weight of 600 lbs. With the trailer, my wife and 3 kids, and some bikes in the bed, the payload approaches the 1300 limit on my truck. It tows fine, but I would not want to put too much more. The truck can pull a lot more than it can carry.

7. Oct 10, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I only recall seeing a supplemental sticker stating that payload is reduced by x. I guessing it is for the step rails which I had dealer remove. I wonder if the payload is reduced for 38 gallon tank and 5.7 liter motor. Even at 1500 lbs I would look at options for rear suspension if towing a TT.

8. Oct 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    AGia15

AGia15 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM

The Equalizer is both sway control and weight distribution as I read/understand it. Certainly, I am open to other brands, but I wonder if this equalizer hitch will fix my issue. Thank you for the info!

I know the payload sounds off but that is what the sticker says. I have the Limited Crewmax 4x4 with TRD Offroad Package, Limited premium Package, and sunroof. I am sure that this all adds weight. I've considered suspension issues but have seen a bunch of you on here with experience and towing knowledge so I had to ask.

9. Oct 11, 2017 at 3:38 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5

10. Oct 11, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Your sticker is correct, all of our tundras have payload stickers but not everyone is aware. Some people use air bags or helper springs in addition to a wdh. I do not. My trailer with 4500 lb gvwr has between 550 and 600 lbs tongue weight depending on healthy I pack it. If I pack all the heavy stuff towards the back to lessen the tongue weight, then I get more sway and purpoising. I found that my setup tows better with this range. But each trailer is different so the guidance is usually anywhere from 10-15%of gvwr. Our tundras can pull way more than they can carry. A lot of people will argue that they have carried way more and I don’t doubt that. Personally, having towed my trailer from NY to MD on vacation with my family, I would not want to go too much heavier. Precious cargo.

OP - If you really want to get a lot of opinions about towing, you should post your question on a Travel Trailer forum such as Jaycoowners.com. There, you will get a lot of opinions about towing, some of those "towing gurus" are fascist in their absolute beliefs.

Products Discussed in

To Top